It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Avatar' pulled from 1,628 Chinese movie screens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

The communist nation's state-run movie distributor, China Film Group, unexpectedly began pulling the blockbuster science-fiction picture from 1,628 2-D screens this week in favor of a biography of the ancient philosopher Confucius.

Paul Hanneman, co-president of international distribution for 20th Century Fox, the movie's distributor, confirmed the move, which the studio learned about Monday evening.

According to the Hong Kong newspaper Apple Daily, the switch was made at the urging of propaganda officials who are concerned that "Avatar" is taking too much market share from Chinese films and drawing unwanted attention to the sensitive issue of forced evictions.

Millions of Chinese have been uprooted to make way for high-rise buildings and government infrastructure projects in the fast-growing country. In "Avatar," human colonists try to demolish the village of an alien race to obtain a precious energy source buried under it.

Source

Yes , we don't want to portray " forced evictions " in a bad light now do we ? Seems kind of silly to witness the level of control that the Chinese government is trying to impose over its people .

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Well...that's what happens when you have a totalitarian government running your country. It was a terrible movie anyway, but i guess i can see why it hints at certain things which the government thinks may cause instability. On a side note im getting fed up of journalists describing China as communist, really grinds my gears.

join