It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Southern California Could Get 20 inches of rain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Wow thats a lot of rain, hopefully they wont get that much more, we cant handle any more disasters

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Holy crap! My family lives in northern California, actually i have a cousin down in San Diego, they're in my prayers.

20 inches! That's more than Southern California gets in a normal YEAR!!!

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
There will no doubt be some tragedy that results from this. With the wildfires leaving much of the soil exposed, I'm certain that there will be mudslides and mass regional flooding. Thank all that is good in this world that this level of storm is hitting California and not Haiti...not that it is (or would be) good for either.

Somehow, the song It Never Rains in Southern California seems soooo untrue right now.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
20 inches, that is a scary amount of rain.. I have a few relatives out that way, better check up on them... thanks for the heads up.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by l neXus l

Well, since we already have had 3 straight years of Drought status, I more than welcome the rain...

As a matter of fact - tell 'em how it is Gene..!

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

We NEED this rain. We have had a drought for years and a water shortage. But, you do have a point, with all these earthquakes and strange weather patterns, hopefully this isnt just a precursor of whats to come

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
All of this water will go directly into the ocean. There is no real storage facilities in California. At least the area of the San Joaquin Valley there isn't.

California over the years has not built any storage lake areas for the capture of the water.

Any exorbitant rain just goes directly to the ocean.

Government planning in action. I mean no action.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
the only worry this truly causes is the risk of mudslides in the areas ravaged by last year's wildfires. Hopefully it won't be too bad!

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Well, we do need the rain, and with luck it may help with the gopher problems. I went out this morning and dug up a number of gopher trails, hopefully if it rains hard, it will drown their tunnels. Ever since the cedar Fires, gophers and rabbits have been a problem: the lack of ground cover devasted the snake populations here, exposing them to hawks and owls, which resulted in a population explosion of rodents.

It got so bad the last few years I dug up whole plots and lined them with steel mesh to kep the critters out.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by apacheman]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I've always had the question if all this rain could possibly trigger an earthquake? The rainfall can seep into the fault lines and lube them up... Any geologists to answer this?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by happygolucky

Well, since we already have had 3 straight years of Drought status, I more than welcome the rain...

Trouble is, heavy rain like this just runs off and doesn;t help long term drought situations.

Landslides could be a big issue this week

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

This isnt good at all!
my parents live near L.A this could be bad but then again maybe it could be less then 20 inches?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
The 20 inches is the expected total for the week, not all at once.so far it's rained like heck as cells move across the basin, but no big deal yet.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Some of you are very ignorant. This rain is WONDERFUL for California overall. A LOT of water comes from the Sierras and much of this rain will come in the form of snow and snowpack which will lead to more water available during the snowmelt. Plus there are lots of lakes and storage facilities that will be helped by this even though a lot of it will run off into the ocean. Plus this is great to wash off and clean off a lot of crap from lack of rain throughout the year. There will always be problems and tragedy from severe weather but overall CA needs this rain and it's a nice sight to see in my opinion. Maybe people shouldn't be living up in the Hills.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I'm in California, and it's been rainin' almost non-stop for two days. Occasionally there's a break in the rain, but it comes right back with full power.... very windy, too!
The streets look like rushing rapids at the moment!
Just took a walk around in it not too long ago.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
So Cal is now on TORNADO Watch 2010!

latimesblogs.latimes.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
yes i can say there's definitely a lot of rain happening in northern california, but i feel for the folks down south. especially since i hear they all drive convertibles......but seriously....
has anyone looked at how many rainfall records are being set today? the last ones date from around 1962-3...guess that was a big year too

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Wow...Its hailing/lightning/thunder and pouring hard here in Encinitas. Freakin Awsome

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Im in the High Desert in So Cal, (Victorville area), and this is getting pretty bad.

I have lived here for 20 years, and know alot of people that have lived here much longer, and this is the worst flooding we have had for a long while.

We have had a terrible drought here for quite some time, and we need rain, just not this much all at once

Yesterday, on the local news, they were showing residential neighborhoods in Long Beach with 2-3 ft floods, and a possible tornado touch down!

top topics

join