It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Avatar & possible subliminal messages within it?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Avatar & possible subliminal messages within it?

Has anyone here seen avatar? I have not seen it, but from I have been told by a lot of people, that it was some sort of an awakening movie. I can tell you one thing, I DON’T BUY IT, yes, that’s right, I refuse to watch it. I am one who doesn’t care for the popularity of things, its not my style. I am not one of the sheep who follows blind idols for that warm fuzzy feeling inside. Again, ill say it, its not my style, I am a free thinker, I think for myself, and only for myself. I do not follow the blind off a cliff, so I wouldn’t follow the blind in any other case. I am not bad mouthing the movie, I am bad mouthing the over ecstatic people who are saying I should go see this movie!

I was on XBOX live last night, playing halo wars, 3v3 standard. Its what I do when I am at my most bored state. My Teammate who was talking non stop about avatar, and how great it was. He was almost like a drone, a physical, living breathing advertisement for the movie. It had me thinking, what kind of affect did this movie have on people? They say its just a movie, I say its just a movie, but when is a movie just a movie when people are over zealous afterward? It can be a good thing, but I found it annoying that my ear was blasted with avatar this, avatar that. I unfortunately had to place this guy on mute because he wouldn’t stop with avatar! Its almost like he was under mind control, I am not kidding!

What do you guys think? If you saw this movie, do you think this movie had any kind of affect on you?

What was so special about the movie?

-No I will never go see it, maybe on DVD if someone holds a gun to my head, but that’s about where I stand on it right now.

Thoughts?

Reflections?

I want to know your guys take on this movie if you saw it, and if you didn’t see it, what are your thoughts on the people who did?

I look forward to your input.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I found it to be a nice fantasy film, with a stupidly name mineral in it - a suprising death and a far fetched dissapointing yet pradictable ending.

I didnt find any hidden meanings, but then if they were subliminal.. im a female.. very unlikely to pick them up :p

Now where did I put that Navy application form.....

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Well to tell you the truth its a great movie. Its worth a watch cant really judge it if you have not seen it. My dad liked it a lot too. It hits you were it counts!

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Emiai

Navy application form? did the DOD have any kinds of takes in this movie?

thanks for your input!

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
To me Avatar was a slapstick anti-imperialist movie, adorned by fantastic special effects and a mediocre script. I'm glad I watched it, I found it a fairly superficial movie, but a highly entertaining one.

It is a Cameron film after all.

I don't understand your rationale regarding free-thinking, however. You should watch it, if only to have an opinion on it. You are most certainly not going to be brainwashed by it, anymore than Jaws would stop you from swimming, or the Matrix convince you we live in an intergalactic zoo. If your reaction to those last two films was what I described then perhaps you shouldn't watch it. Or you'll end up like the rest of the MSM who are screaming, "BLUE IS THE NEW BLACK".

Also,

yes, that’s right, I refuse to watch it. I am one who doesn’t care for the popularity of things, its not my style.

to

was on XBOX live last night, playing halo wars, 3v3 standard

Makes no sense at all!

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Hey OP. its a movie... You know.. Make believe.. People can say whatever they want about whatever they want, but there is nothing wrong with enjoying a movie.. It was a nice fantasy movie, nice effects that looked reallife, obviously the story plot was not a new concept, and the ending was predictable. But overall I would place this movie in the catagory of If you like watching movies watch this... Along with Braveheart, Original StarWars, The Longest Day, to name a few..

I have seen it twice ; ) once, then another to see what hidden things i could find in movie.. I didnt spot any, and it wasnt too bad the second time around either..

But please, all the crazies, please continue making up conspiracies about stuff. Or else I have no idea, where I will get my daily laugh

[edit on 19-1-2010 by Le Colonel]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Le Colonel

I just had a question if there were any subliminal messages in this movie.

I am just a bit ticked off at the fact that this wasn't the only time it happened. I just related an experience i had with an over enthusiastic avatar fan, and it seemed like this extreme persona this person emulated was something like a robot or a walking billboard. I just related one experience that was the most recent.

Originally posted by Oscitate

was on XBOX live last night, playing halo wars, 3v3 standard

Makes no sense at all!

Why do you think that made no sense? its what i was doing when i encountered an over enthused fan; MY teammate on a 3v3 was lost somewhere in avatar land.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Oscitate

LOL!!!!
Man you nailed it.

The sheer entertainment value of Avatar makes it a must see in my opinion. Geez, do we really have to imply a sinister deeper meaning into everything these days? Any person of decent intellect can see when they are being manipulated; such people do not easily fall into the herd, or groupthink.
Avatar is very popular for a reason...it's truly an entertaining experience, it's fun, and it's 3rd grade themes make it pretty mindless.
The OP needs to chill...and I think any gamer would really like this flick, it has the same appeal.
I just wanted to add that there are FANATICS about just about everything, movies, movie-stars, fashion, beanie babies, cabbage patch dolls, an on and on...

[edit on 19-1-2010 by odd1out]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I saw Avatar. to me it was just an average mainstream movie.

not to some people though.Not with all the suicudes.
www.cnn.com...

then again, I didn't see it in 3D

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
he who does not follow the crowd is playing halo on xbox live...

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I really disagree with your reasoning behind not seeing it. It really makes no sense but that is not the point of this post so lets move on.

I have seen Avatar twice. I think it has a good message, pointing out the way our government finds something it wants, makes the people who own it our enemy then takes it by force without looking into any of the consequences. Also I did find a few things that I thought were possibly a little odd. I would be willing to guess there are more I missed that people will find when it is available on dvd.

The one thing I saw was a picture of a yellow Chinese style dragon that was painted on the side of the vehicles the General of the Earth army rode in. I know dragons have many different symbols and I am no expert but I'm sure someone with more knowledge on the subject could find a connection somewhere.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I usually don't do hype either.I am one of the few who haven't even seen star wars.
For me if everyone is making a big deal about it then it is more then likely worth ignoring.
I watched Avatar to see what the hype is all about and as usual...I was dissapointed and yes it is worth ignoring like most other hyped movies.

I also don't understand why people are so easily amused by special effects.
Its like being amused by a shiny quarter.
I like a good storyline instead and Avatar was just a regurgitated movie thats been done before with special effects.
The fact it won a golden globe makes me want to just hang my head in shame.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
i48.tinypic.com...

i46.tinypic.com...

I actually enjoyed the movie

[edit on 19-1-2010 by TheOneElectric]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Emiai
I found it to be a nice fantasy film, with a stupidly name mineral in it

Unobtainium is actually a real "sort of" thing. It's somewhat a class of rare earth minerals obviously named to indicate rarity. Also used in engineering circles when the part made of a certain substance can cost more than the rest of the project and used frequently in mineral exploration. The term "wishalloy" is used much the same way.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

I've said it many times to friends and family that this particular movie is the best to date in every possible respect. I have no doubt that Cameron was not thinking about making profits on this one but rather creating a highlight on this career. This is no doubt his life's work and nothing more.

There's a lot of philosophy in this movie that you really would appreciate. For once it is not a popular thing. It's a message much like all the dystopian films in the past but in a positive light. It's also not a pro gov/corporation/military message in fact paints them, not the human race, as the bad guys.

I, like you, tend to hold out when there's too much hype on something. I still haven't seen Titanic and refuse to. However Avatar I wanted to see just for the alien world. Both glad and regretful that I did.

I did suffer extreme depression after the film when I saw the first bit of concrete & urban development. The world was suddenly black and white, the advertising/signage/corporate spaces completely see through and like a cancer. Humans, no longer attractive lol! The effects wore off within a day or two.

I found myself attracted to the thought (more than usual) of a pilgrimage to learn tribal ways all over the world, thinking about spirit herbs more and loving a moonlit walk outside the city more.

Trust me, I'm probably the biggest open source, sharing, charity minded person I know with the most extreme views on popular culture and I can't imagine never seeing this film in 3d and experiencing what I did.

Like I said, the immediate effects wear off but the message is one that you knew deep down already. I believe James Cameron did this movie for charity even if he makes 5 billion at the box office. He's underpaid for this one.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Atlantican

Ah so those were the avatar blue the media was talking about?

I guess if people grab something good from the movie, i dont see any conflict with me seeing this movie. I guess i can give it a chance, but not anytime soon.

thanks for your replies all, even if they were just attacks, i expected that much from the ATS members.

I guess i need to see this movie, just to see what all the hype is about, but its like following the herd though. I hate doing what everyone else is doing. I like to take the least taken road, because i like being separated from the herd mentality. But thats just me, and im pretty sure you guys would disagree.

again thanks for the input guys, just wanted to to know what the hype was all about.

[edit on 1/19/2010 by ugie1028]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I thought Avatar was an excellent movie for what it is and I definitely saw that 90% of it was commentary on many of the struggles and political, social and psychological structures of modern corporate global earth. Although the setting is rooted in fantasy, the themes presented are not.

I saw the movie with my girlfriend and her first response that I heard a lot was how it compared to America's action toward the Native Americans. I agree with this statement but it perturbed me a little because the actions presented in the film more so represent what is happening all over the third world as we speak. In fact her cousin's husband, former military, works for a company burying electric cables through Africa.

Which brings me to the second point. Military, under the control of corporations aid in the acquisition of resources from foreign lands to gain profit and power. In Avatar the US Marines are not working under the command of the constituency but rather the agenda of the rich, powerful corporation. It brings to mind Iraq and Afghanistan and the occupation centering around oil and pipelines.

The resource they are mining on the planet is called "unobtainium." I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

There is also a running global consciousness theme. On the far away planet there is a living biological network connecting every thing on the planet, which is at the center of the belief system of the inhabitants. It ties all generations together into one cohesive unit working together with the planet under one creative force. I believe this is a metaphor for earth, hinting toward the fact which modern science has yet to uncover, that the earth itself is alive. Not to mention the internet, that is a living network connecting the thoughts and actions of a larger number of people on the planet at an increased rate.

There are many other references which I have not mentioned, but it is definitely worth a view regardless of one's resentment for the mainstream. I think there is a reason Cameron waited so long to make the movie, but it was made the right way. There are topics that tptb would not approve of. The special effects are great, but that's just fluff imo.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
i went to see it

it was good... an excellent eye candy film with truely stupendously jaw dropping special effects and world. Its truely a beautiful and spectacular flick.

but i have to say its no more than eye candy (no matter how beautiful it may be).

the story boils down to SPACE POCAHONTAS. Nothing new or exciting, same old pocahontas story line.

But the CG is to die for ... was like walley (wall-e? whatever the little robot was called) all over again

worth seeing while you can in 3d because it is a spectacle... not worth watching more than once tho.

~TR

(i mean come on its space pocahontas, had mother willow and everything)

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Avatar is to be realistic no matter what kind of movie you like a good movie. The actors, how they behave and how they perform at their settings is awsome. The story line is touching and very good. And when a good movie comes out its natural that alot of people like it,cause its in fact a good movie
= But alot of people on the other hand probably dont like the genre. Its always like that with humans.

Where this line comes in though, i could never understand.

"I can tell you one thing, I DON’T BUY IT( Buy what?if its a good movie? Everyone has different meanings,some might like it while others dont), yes, that’s right, I refuse to watch it( Why?its a movie,does the genre frighten you,or do you think it will harm you?). I am one who doesn’t care for the popularity of things, its not my style( What has that to do with this movie, on this planet and everywhere else in the world,there will be people and often by huge numbers that will like and think the same way,so to make it short you are following the popularity of things even if u want it or not
. I am not one of the sheep who follows blind idols for that warm fuzzy feeling inside( what idols are we talking about?wasnt it about a movie
?). Again, ill say it, its not my style, I am a free thinker, I think for myself, and only for myself( Other people who watch movies,not matter what kind of movie it is are probably free thinkers themselves). I do not follow the blind off a cliff, so I wouldn’t follow the blind in any other case( Still makes no sense). I am not bad mouthing the movie, I am bad mouthing the over ecstatic people who are saying I should go see this movie! "( If people are telling you 2 watch it, they might just be kind and suggesting it for you, or it might actually BE a good movie)

To be short---Its a movie, go see it if u like,if it doesnt attract you then leave it be. The reason why so many like it is probably because its a fact that its a good movie
- There will always be others out there who enjoy the same thing, and they might even be MANY-

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
actually i just realised something... stop me if im wrong but isnt this the first truely popular sci-fi movie in ages? people in general dont like or watch sci-fi ... cos its nerdy n geeky n just ew
isnt this one of the few big hit sci-fi movies in a while?

~TR

top topics

<<   2 >>

join