It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

astronauts psychological test's?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Hi, something i've questioned for a while, but have not found anything of interest on the web, even though there must be information out there somewhere. so i thought i would post this question on here. i suppose this is more regarding the apollo astronauts, rather than the shuttle crew, but can still count for both generations of space explorers. did? or what is the procedure on how they check if a candidate is in the right mind set to go into space?. i mean what would or are there any measures or a protocol to follow if an astronaut was to freak out up there in space or worse even the moon?. what measures would nasa and more importantly the other 2 crew members do if the rougue astronaut was to start jepordizing the mission as well as the crews lives?. has there ever been a case of an astronaut freaking out in space?, are astronauts checked to see if they get on with each other?, are there measures in place for such an event and has nasa got a plan if such an event were to transpire?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I do remember reading about such tests in the book We Seven by the original Mercury astronauts. In it the astronauts mention some of the psychological tests that they were subjected to as part of the weeding out process. The tests were intended to find people with, pardon the expression, the right stuff to be astronauts. Given that the Apollo astronauts were chosen not very long after the Mercury ones, I would imagine that their psychological testing would have been similar.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
This kinda of question was pretty much brought to light when the Astronaut Lisa Nowak started acting up
en.wikipedia.org...

This made the NASA mangers re think and review there psychological tests in 2007, And as far as im aware changes have been made to the selection process,

The psychological tests are done in the choosing process i believe but after that no further tests are made other than annual check ups of the health of the person... So any thing that develops (In the mind) it may well not show or be spotted in time for Astronauts who do shuttle time,

however... Those who spend months in space do have a test before and after and also during space time,

join