It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Cruise Ships Still Partying In Haiti

page: 1
2
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Story Here


Sixty miles from Haiti's devastated earthquake zone, luxury liners dock at private beaches where passengers enjoy jetski rides, parasailing and rum cocktails delivered to their hammocks. The 4,370-berth Independence of the Seas, owned by Royal Caribbean International, disembarked at the heavily guarded resort of Labadee on the north coast on Friday; a second cruise ship, the 3,100-passenger Navigator of the Seas is due to dock. The Florida cruise company leases a picturesque wooded peninsula and its five pristine beaches from the government for passengers to "cut loose" with watersports, barbecues, and shopping for trinkets at a craft market before returning on board before dusk. Safety is guaranteed by armed guards at the gate. The decision to go ahead with the visit has divided passengers. The ships carry some food aid, and the cruise line has pledged to donate all proceeds from the visit to help stricken Haitians. But many passengers will stay aboard when they dock; one said he was "sickened".


Wow, just wow. This is what we are, collectively. This is sick.




posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
"collectively" nothing- sod all to do with me, a decision taken by a small number of people

"collectively" other people have donated, "collectively", other people have gone out to Haiti to help



posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by blueorder
 


collectively - as in The Human Race is what I meant....you are a part of that, yes?

________________________________________________________________

[edit on 19-1-2010 by Signals]



posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
reply to post by blueorder
 


collectively - as in The Human Race is what I meant....you are a part of that, yes?

________________________________________________________________

[edit on 19-1-2010 by Signals]


it makes no sense, "collective" is not a term I would use based on the decisions of one or two people in charge of a cruise ship- I could just use the term "collectively" in respect of those humans who are digging out haitians


In other words, there is no "collective" responsibility/glory either way



posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

Wow, just wow. This is what we are, collectively. This is sick.


Should all commerce cease throughout Haiti? Should all of Lousiana have shut down after Katrina? Should north Florida have shut down when south Florida was destroyed by hurricane Andrew?



posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Oh, wow, how disgusting.

The cruise ship company should have refunded the booked passengers and canceled until further notice. They could have then used those floating cities to transport aid.

How in the hell can people actually jet ski and parasail right now, there, anyway?

But as much as it disgusts me, the cruise ships landing there may be one of the very few places left in Haiti that can afford the people a smattering of jobs. Why couldnt they just shut down for a few weeks, in light of this? Or divert the floating party away from that area for a few weeks at least!!



posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer
 


[suit of armor on & shield up]


Should cruise ships still dock in Haiti for pleasure fun escapes?

Should the cruise lines attempt to HELP the situation since they are already there loaded with food & water?

Should everything just go an as usual while we party a few miles away from the dirty ignorant helpless Haitians?

Should I go on?



posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals
 


they docked there in the past when these people were living in the gutter, what difference now- cruise ships dock in Belfast and elderly people die because of the cold, this endless search for victims and the appearance of being super caring is becoming tiresome amongst many............



posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by blueorder
 


What do you mean by appearance of super caring? From whom? You? Me? France? Please expound.



posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
People its not disgusting, you don't need to think that because this happend everybody needs to stop what they do because of this. Allot of people are aiding Haitians and this cruse isn't going to change anything.

What should they do ?? humm? jump out of the cruse put there meals aside and then do what?

Think a bit.

And by the way, I really don't understand why the whole world is suddenly in shock! People have died in Iraq too because of you American scumbags and instead of being empathetic to iraqies you call them stupid towl heads that need to die.

You people are hypocrits to the fullest extent of the word. Don't get me wrong I like that people are doing good things but why do you only sometimes do good things? Because media told you haiti needs help. Media doesn't tell you how many Iraqy children died today.

Do you understand what im trying to point out here?



posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater
 


all over this forum, and in other forums, in the media etc

Ive had it out with a few people who give it the big liberal caring nonsense on here about Haitians and asked some of them how much they'd donated, many had donated zilcho.


Then you get the people seeking offence in a cruise ship, ye gads.


Then you get the people who have maybe donated a tenner, but will still go out and spend money on the cinema, mcdonalds whatever- if you are going to lecture me I want you living a bare minimum existence with all your money and frivolous goods going to the "needy"< then come back and be self righteous (that goes to anyone wishing to be self righteous about such matters)



posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by colloredbrothers
 


I have never done any of those things you claim are American attributes. I try not to use such a large brush to paint with.

I dont see your point at all. I can care about more than one thing at a time, as a mother it comes natural to me.



posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
The beat goes on... Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruises have invested a large sum of money in the area of Northern Haiti that they visit. Tourism brings dollars and the cruise ships are also delivering supplies for the victims of this tragedy.

I suspect that people would also be outraged if the ships stopped coming as well. Tourism is just about the only viable option in Haiti's future.


Labadee

Who Goes There? Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises

Where Is It? This "island" is actually a remote 260-acre woodsy peninsula along Haiti's lush mountainous and secluded north coast.

Getting There: Ten Royal Caribbean ships, plus a few Celebrity Cruise ships, will pay a visit to Labadee on Caribbean, Panama Canal and transatlantic sailings in 2009 and 2010. Tenders take passengers from the ship to the island.

Playing There: Labadee has some of the largest water-based jungle gyms of the islands; however, their water play activities aren't free. You can bounce on water trampolines, rock on a "water totter," and climb inflatable icebergs at the Arawak Aqua Park ($15 per hour for each adult or child), or take several slides down the 40-foot SeaTrek Water Slide ($20 per adult or child). Land-based activities include whizzing along the world's longest zip line over water (it's over 2,600 feet long) and watching African-style dancing, drumming and singing at the folkloric show. Luc's Splash Bash is the island's dedicated area for kids and offers ground geysers, water cannons and a treasure map trail.

Insider Tips: A pier is currently under construction at Labadee so passengers will no longer have to tender to shore. The new pier is scheduled to open in early December 2009, when Oasis of the Seas begins its maiden Caribbean voyages. While Royal Caribbean has not released official details at this time, development is underway on a new welcome plaza and Labadee Town Square, an area that will be home to cultural enrichment activities, shopping and entertainment. The one attraction we do know will be there is the new Dragon's Tail Alpine Coaster, a thrill ride that is similar to a rollercoaster ride through mountain scenery ($35).

Eating: With nine bar and beverage facilities and three food outlets, you won't have to hunt for provisions. Performers stroll about playing Jamaican mento music, an acoustic, folksy sound said to be the grandfather of reggae. Chug the signature drink, the Labaduzee, and enjoy.

Shopping: Two Haitian marketplaces offer native crafts, paintings, coffee, woodcarvings, dolls, baskets, clothing and jewelry. (Be prepared to be pressured to buy, and don't be afraid to negotiate.)


www.cruisecritic.com...



posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
reply to post by traditionaldrummer
 


[suit of armor on & shield up]


Should cruise ships still dock in Haiti for pleasure fun escapes?

Should the cruise lines attempt to HELP the situation since they are already there loaded with food & water?

Should everything just go an as usual while we party a few miles away from the dirty ignorant helpless Haitians?

Should I go on?


I wouldn't go on if I were you. Commercial cruise liners are indeed carrying relief supplies and cessation of commercial activities means loss of income for other areas of Haiti. I'm going to assume that you wouldn't want the remaining functioning areas of Haiti to become impoverished.



posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by colloredbrothers
 


Had to log in so I could congratulate and star you for your post


Brilliant !

All true



posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by colloredbrothers
People its not disgusting, you don't need to think that because this happend everybody needs to stop what they do because of this. Allot of people are aiding Haitians and this cruse isn't going to change anything.

What should they do ?? humm? jump out of the cruse put there meals aside and then do what?

Think a bit.

And by the way, I really don't understand why the whole world is suddenly in shock! People have died in Iraq too because of you American scumbags and instead of being empathetic to iraqies you call them stupid towl heads that need to die.

You people are hypocrits to the fullest extent of the word. Don't get me wrong I like that people are doing good things but why do you only sometimes do good things? Because media told you haiti needs help. Media doesn't tell you how many Iraqy children died today.

Do you understand what im trying to point out here?



No, I don't, my views on Iraq aren't on this thread....And, yes, you're absolutely correct, and this thread proves it - I'm a hypocrite....for pointing out a different side to this tragedy.




posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
just as an aside, is it only "colloreds" that are brothers?



posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder

Ive had it out with a few people who give it the big liberal caring nonsense on here about Haitians and asked some of them how much they'd donated, many had donated zilcho.


I see I've sparked some thought here....exactly what I hoped this thread would do. I tell you what, instead of comparing how much we've all donated or done to help the people of Haiti...lets just skip to the part where you whip out the tape measure.


I do see the need for continued tourism there.... However, my intent was for you and everyone else to ask themselves the question What Would I Do If I Was On That Cruise Ship....If your answer is "I'd pop another cork", then so be it.



posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals
 


really, what I mean is, a lot of people are more concerned with APPEARING to be caring, by making the right statements and looking down on others, but in reality, they are no "better"



posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder
reply to post by Signals
 


really, what I mean is, a lot of people are more concerned with APPEARING to be caring, by making the right statements and looking down on others, but in reality, they are no "better"


I think that is something we can both agree on...

Thanks for your replies.



new topics

top topics



 
2
<<   2 >>

log in

join