It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pennies for Haiti, Billions for Israel, Egypt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Pennies for Haiti, Billions for Israel, Egypt

www.cbsnews.com

Limbaugh deserves a thank you - even from his harshest detractors -because his rant inadvertently raises an important issue that demands a closer look. I'm talking about the outdated calculus of considerations Washington uses to decide how to spend its foreign aid budget. Foreign aid is a long-standing instrument of U. S. foreign policy. In fiscal 2008, the government offered financial assistance to 154 nations.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Well as much as I dislike the blowhard behavior of Rush, he did at least come out with an outstanding point. Ladies and gents, we should not be taxing people to give free money away. If we have seen anything from this disaster(manmade with haarp if some of you are right) in Haiti, it is that people will gladly give of their own free will, even in hard times.

The government has no business telling us how to use our money, we should use our money to have the most positive impact in this world.

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Ya screw the poor ! I hope they all die from starvation so Canadian or yanks don't have to spend a few dollars.

Really you are agreeing with Rush ?

lol @ your "manmade with haarp" comment .. Obvious bad joke .. right ?

[edit on 19-1-2010 by nophun]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Dont you think the governments of each country throwing away money overseas to help should reconsider and help fix the problems in its own country first. Seriously i think its a big game of LOOK AT ME, LOOK WHAT I HAVE DONE TO HELP! like its some kind of video game. I think the government is a freaking joke.... They are full of # and tell us bull# and then use our, taxes and # which we all work hard to earn to send overseas....... DICKHEADS

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I can't believe how crazy some of the comment here at ATS are ..
Like nothing to do with being opened minded or conspiracy.. just complete wackos.

Hope you believe in god and end up in hell

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I do not live in the US.

But it seems to me that they are a close neighbour and that they are letting their neighbour down.

I think that most politicians are corrupt, but I do know that NZ would not sit idly by and let a neighbour suffer like that.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by learningtofly
I do not live in the US.

But it seems to me that they are a close neighbour and that they are letting their neighbour down.

I think that most politicians are corrupt, but I do know that NZ would not sit idly by and let a neighbour suffer like that.

Most definitely the case. We the people should be helping. Our political leaders should be sending our military medical staff over to Haiti, not troops and throwing money at the problem.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by learningtofly
I do not live in the US.

Most definitely the case. We the people should be helping. Our political leaders should be sending our military medical staff over to Haiti, not troops and throwing money at the problem.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by nophun
Ya screw the poor ! I hope they all die from starvation so Canadian or yanks don't have to spend a few dollars.

Really you are agreeing with Rush ?

lol @ your "manmade with haarp" comment .. Obvious bad joke .. right ?

Like nothing to do with being opened minded or conspiracy.. just complete wackos.

Sigh… You didn’t read the article before you opened up on OP did you... it goes on to say:

But consider this: in fiscal 1998 Haiti received $106 million from the U.S, the No. 9 nation among foreign aid recipients. Ten years later, it didn't even make the top 15 list.

Compare that to the more than $5 billion paid out to Israel and Egypt.

For much of the last 20-plus years, those two nations have ranked as the biggest recipients of our largesse. (Afghanistan is now No. 2 on the list reflecting the war and reconstruction costs from our involvement there post-9/11.)

Israel has since built one of the most dynamic and entrepreneurial economies in the world. At the same time, the country is now led by a free-market prime minister who ideologically understands the risks of economic dependence. Is there any overarching reason why the training wheels can't come off?

Same question applies to Egypt. The argument you hear time and again is that U.S. aid has helped avoid destabilization. So what have we received for our investment? Hosni Mubarak has been in charge since Anwar Sadat's assassination in 1981. This is a corrupt and authoritarian regime that physically strong-arms political opponents. Some argue that Egypt would fall to the Islamists and turn rabidly anti-American if we stopped bribing them.

That's probably the best argument why it's a good time to reassess.

In a very changed world, the argument for keeping Egypt and Israel on the dole does not hold up, especially when we're paying them do what's in their best interests anyway. With the U.S. fighting back from recession and Haiti laid waste by ill fortune, here's a chance to do a lot of good without reaching any deeper into taxpayer pockets for another penny. The money's already there. Now it's up to Washington how to spend it more wisely.

[edit on 19/1/2010 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
This site is incredible. Even a natural disaster in the Caribbean becomes an excuse to bash Israel.

For the uninformed, the US provides Israel with military aid and repayable loans. A minimum of 75% of all funds received is mandatorily spend on purchasing American goods and services. In exchange Israel shares with the US the result of technological, medical, software advances that in part come from the money provided.

Egypt is a poor country of 75 million people. The moneys they receive are pure foreign aid with no accounting demanded. It is understood they are receiving it to ensure the Suez Canal and adjoining waters are secure for the vital transport though the region.

Haiti was once a French protectorate and it is generally assumed European countries look after their former colonies in critical situations.

You guys will just have to keep trying to find new excuses to whine and moan about Israel.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Well, first I would like to tell you, that was a horrible thing to say. You should be ashamed. You insult people just to make yourself look just as (or more) idiotic?

Listen, I would give up my steak dinner tonight if it could go into the stomach of a Haitian so therefore I have no problem sending tax money to give them aid.

What I do have a problem with is amounts. Isreal / Egypt does not deserve to get more money than Haiti. At least this year. In fact if they where giving Haiti billions and Isreal millions (or rather nothing at all) then I would feel it justified.

Developed countries do not deserve more than a nation in ruin.

I pay taxes therefore it is my money they are tossing into the wrong pockets. I don't like it when people #&@# with my money and neither should you.

Then you go and call us crazy because we hate our govt for lining undeserving pockets?!?!?!?!?!

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
What natural disaster has incapacitated Israel so badly that they need that much money? Shouldn't the aid money be going to Palestine? Israel is affluent. They are building all over the place. Palestine and Haiti are in shambles. What is wrong with this picture? If it were my call to make all the money going to Israel, would go to Palestine instead. Yeah Haiti would get a bigger chunk as well too.

Why do we reward Israel for spying on us? They are not our friends.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
What natural disaster has incapacitated Israel so badly that they need that much money? Shouldn't the aid money be going to Palestine? Israel is affluent. They are building all over the place. Palestine and Haiti are in shambles. What is wrong with this picture? If it were my call to make all the money going to Israel, would go to Palestine instead. Yeah Haiti would get a bigger chunk as well too.

As long is there is a blank check with their name on it, they are our friends.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder

Try reading what has be n written. In one form or other Israel returns at least 75% of it's aid to the US.

The Palestinians receive billions from all over the world. In fact Palestinians enjoy a higher standard of living than 90% of the people in the Middle East, even in oil rich states.

Unfortunately not enough trickles down to the actual people as so much is spent on weapons and missiles. Also vast amounts seem to disappear somehow. It has been estimated Yasser Arafat had a net worth of 3 billion when he died. His fat wife in Paris received millions every month.

European countries like Norway and now Iran fund the Palestinians. Palestinian leaders have created a whole economy based on being perpetual victims in a permanent state of war with Israel.

Unfortunate for everyone except Palestinian leadership.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by mmiichael]

top topics

join