It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I the'dinosaur'?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I look around me at the world in general and the USA in particular and see massive change. 99% of it is change going in directions I don't like. Individuality and freedom is being stifled at every turn. Even the person-to-person interaction is changing rapidly, people would rather 'txt' than talk. It appears the vast majority of humanity would rather be 'entertained' in front of their TV than think or act for themselves.

I think most here have read 'Brave New World' at some point. For me it was a horrifying world, but those that lived and grew up their loved it. The 'sheeple' here seem pretty happy with the way things are, they appear to support and even thrive in the more and more restrictive society. It looks to me like if we had 'soma' people would take it with pleasure.

I feel like Savage. Where is the humanity?

But I have to ask ...is this perhaps evolution? Is the race actually evolving in this direction, is it a actually an 'improvement'? Did early hominids look insane to the chimps?
I am looking for some serious discussion here, I think its very hard to judge things from the inside and we are all stuck here. Is the 'collective' attitude that turns most humans into passive and obedient cogs in the larger wheel a move for the better? The greater good for the larger number?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I think that there will be both more and less control over time. More control of information with computer scanning and surveillance. But also less because the computer will be used to store alternate realities and potentially sentient creatures that will do as they wish regardless of the powers that be.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Dinoking

So perhaps we are witnessing a 'split' in the species? Some part retreating to a high level of being controlled and some moving on to higher aspirations?

And I guess I managed to state that in way which really discloses my personal feeling on the subject ... not the best way to try and get my head around this.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Just a small demonstration on the importance of perspective, and why I am struggling with such a question.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
This makes me think of the old saying "History is written by the victor."

If you want it to look like things are going well you show the right side and if you want it to look like things are more dangerous you show the left.

But if you see the whole picture its somewhere in the middle. The gun in the face is actually a slight optical illusion it appears and the gun is farther away. But most wouldn't notice till they see the water jug.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Chett

It isn't evolution, it is human intent. The few privileged families, round tables and think tanks decide what is important for everyone. That includes service to the state, materialism and religion.

If you want to eat, you must serve the state directly or indirectly. If you live in a civilized society, you must conform or be ostrisized. You must "be a part" of the machine. You must belong to the standard raised by suites and well meaning, but deceived people.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeandShadow

What you say is more or less true about how people 'must' behave. But it could be a change in the basic nature of humanity. Bees and ants function as a whole .. is it not possible that humanity is heading that way?
It rubs me very wrong, but I am really not clear that perhaps that is because I do not have the 'vision'. For sure I want to live in the past ...the good ol days

top topics

join