It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

will betelguese fry us?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
the extract below says it all. is it just a coincidence that johan friede wrote about this a thousand years ago? or did he see something horrendous and huge beyond our ken?
the bible mentions that in the end times the heavens will be rolled up like a scroll. (sorry, someone else will perhaps have the chapter and verse). rolled up like a scroll signals to me that (if correct) our present understanding of physics and astronomical laws will be turned on its head. it sounds like some incredible warping of space and time. AND the star in question currently sports a diameter equal to jupiters orbit. now thats a mother of a star making our own sun a lightbulb by comparison. but just how would it arrive in our vicinity? as some of our posters will already know, betelguese has already shrunk 10 or 15 percent and scientists are wondering if it will go nova. i invite everyones comments on this subject but i dont have any answers.

17. Johann Friede ~ According to a vision received by Johann Friede (1204-1257), an Austrian monk of the Order of St. John, several extraordinary phenomena will give warning that the present order of civilization is about to end: "When the great time will come, in which mankind will face its last, hard trial, it will be foreshadowed by striking changes in nature; the alteration between cold and heat will become more intensive, storms will have more catastrophic effects, earthquakes will destroy greater regions and the seas will overflow many lowlands. Not all of it will be the result of natural causes, but man will penetrate into the bowels of the earth and will reach into the clouds, gambling with its own existence. Before the powers of destruction will succeed in their design, the universe will be thrown into disorder, and the age of iron will plunge into nothingness. When the nights will be filled with more intensive cold and the day with heat, a new life will begin in nature. The heat means radiation from the earth, the cold the waning light of the sun. Only a few more years and you will become aware that sunlight has become perceptibly weaker. When even your artificial light will cease to give service, the great event of the firmament will be near. "The nebula of the Greater Bear will arrive in the vicinity of earth... and will fill the space of five hundred suns at the horizon. It will more and more cover up the light of the sun until the days will be like nights at full moon. The illumination will not come from the moon, but from Orion, which constellation, by the light of Jupiter, will send forth its rays on the Greater Bear and will dissolve its nebula with the force of light. "By this time mankind will be stricken with terror. Birds will be like reptiles and will not use their wings. Animals of the ground, in fear and alarm, will raise such a clamor that it will make human hearts tremble. Men will flee their abodes in order not to see the weird occurrence. Finally, complete darkness will set in and last for three days and three nights. "During this time, men, deprived of the power of light, will fall into a slumber-like sleep from which many will not awaken, especially those who have no spark of spiritual life. When the sun will again rise and emerge, earth will be covered with a blanket of ashes like snow in winter, except that the ashes will have the color of sulfur. Damp fog will ascend from the ground, illuminated by igneous gases. "Of mankind there will be more dead than there have been casualties in all wars. In the abodes of the children of light, the Book of Revelations will be read, and in the palaces of the Church they will await the arrival of the great comet. On the seventh day after the return of light, earth will have absorbed the ashes and formed such fertility as has not been experienced ever before. But Orion will cast its ray on the earth and show a path toward the last resting place of the greatest and most eminent man who had ever lived on the EARTH.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
when artificial light begins to wane, -----------that sounds like magnetic fields which are required for electricity are going to drastically alter and weaken. as spock would say--------------fascinating.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
The 3 days of darkness have been related here as well.
www.olrl.org...

www.endtimesreport.com...

www.heavenhelpus.org...

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by orangutang

i neglected to show a source.
the extract in the first post was taken from-----------at google. but there are several to choose from.
and moderator, this is my first thread and not sure how it got here, maybe it should be in prophecies section.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

I have done a lot of reading pertaining to ancient astronomy and myths of celestial catastrophic events and this reads as one of those. I don't know anything about Johann Friede (1204-1257), 750 years ago not 1,000 btw, but I have read many mythological accounts of very similar events.

I for one believe that many of these apocalyptic events have already past yet this does not mean it can not happen again. Keep in mind that 'global catastrophe' or 'the end of the world' does not mean everyone dies and 'apocalypse' does not mean death and destruction. The meaning of these words are crucial to the understanding of these "visions" and other similar writings.

the bible mentions that in the end times the heavens will be rolled up like a scroll.

Could this be a metaphor?
The purpose of a scroll is to store information and for the heavens to roll up like a scroll could mean that the knowledge of heaven is no longer accessible to us. This is just a guess but one I think we should consider before throwing out the laws of physics.

As far as the question, "will Betelgeuse fry us?", I have my doubts.

A little fact checking from Wiki. Betelgeuse.

Betelgeuse is a semiregular variable star located approximately *640 light-years from the Earth*. It is Alpha Orionis but the second brightest star in the constellation Orion...
*Estimates have it between 495 to 640 Ly from Earth.*

Betelgeuse apparently was the Alpha star, or brightest, in the Orion constellation at the time of its designation and since has become much less bright. Now Rigel (Beta Orionis) is brighter than Betelgeuse. Some information states that this star variates its magnitude over a 4 year period but this seems to change over time and so does the amount of its apparent magnitude.
Will Betelgeuse go supernova?

It is possible that Betelgeuse will become a supernova, which will be the brightest ever recorded, outshining the Moon in the night sky. Considering its size and age of 8.5 million years, old for its size class, it may explode within the next thousand years. Since its rotational axis is not toward the Earth, Betelgeuse's supernova will not cause a gamma ray burst in the direction of Earth...

It is important to note that gamma ray bursts direct the force of an exploding star out their poles and it is likely that very few stars, if any at all, have either pole pointed towards Earth. I would guess that this type of supernova would have some effect on us but nothing life threatening. I believe that supernova and gamma ray burst phenomena are different events.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Devino

I have done a lot of reading pertaining to ancient astronomy and myths of celestial catastrophic events and this reads as one of those. I don't know anything about Johann Friede (1204-1257), 750 years ago not 1,000 btw, but I have read many mythological accounts of very similar events.

I for one believe that many of these apocalyptic events have already past yet this does not mean it can not happen again. Keep in mind that 'global catastrophe' or 'the end of the world' does not mean everyone dies and 'apocalypse' does not mean death and destruction. The meaning of these words are crucial to the understanding of these "visions" and other similar writings.

the bible mentions that in the end times the heavens will be rolled up like a scroll.

The purpose of a scroll is to store information and for the heavens to roll up like a scroll could mean that the knowledge of heaven is no longer accessible to us. This is just a guess but one I think we should consider before throwing out the laws of physics.

As far as the question, "will Betelgeuse fry us?", I have my doubts.

A little fact checking from Wiki. Betelgeuse.

Betelgeuse is a semiregular variable star located approximately *640 light-years from the Earth*. It is Alpha Orionis but the second brightest star in the constellation Orion...
*Estimates have it between 495 to 640 Ly from Earth.*

Betelgeuse apparently was the Alpha star, or brightest, in the Orion constellation at the time of its designation and since has become much less bright. Now Rigel (Beta Orionis) is brighter than Betelgeuse. Some information states that this star variates its magnitude over a 4 year period but this seems to change over time and so does the amount of its apparent magnitude.
Will Betelgeuse go supernova?

It is possible that Betelgeuse will become a supernova, which will be the brightest ever recorded, outshining the Moon in the night sky. Considering its size and age of 8.5 million years, old for its size class, it may explode within the next thousand years. Since its rotational axis is not toward the Earth, Betelgeuse's supernova will not cause a gamma ray burst in the direction of Earth...

It is important to note that gamma ray bursts direct the force of an exploding star out their poles and it is likely that very few stars, if any at all, have either pole pointed towards Earth. I would guess that this type of supernova would have some effect on us but nothing life threatening. I believe that supernova and gamma ray burst phenomena are different events.

a very interesting reply "devino"and thankyou for that information. perhaps you'd like to share some of the mythical celestial catastrophes on this forum.
yes, my years guess was very rough and i stand corrected with 750.
another interptretation of the "scroll" could mean that what was some distance apart, as in lines of info or constellations, would experience a folding/warping of space. another guess. i'm allowing for laws unbeknown to man to come into operation after 2012. this fits with "i will make a new heaven and new earth". just maybe.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
As it has already been stated, we have nothing to fear from a Betelgeuse-gone-Supernova. Except, maybe loss of sleep from having the equivalent of two suns temporarily.

But, for some reason, that doesn't exactly take away from the thoughts of something this titanic, actually exploding in observable space. And, objects like this are literally EVERYWHERE. This, and larger.

When a person first begins to truly understand the sizes involved with some of the objects in our universe, it definitely is enough to cause a few moments of "Duh".

I don't want to start listing facts that are probably buried on this site already, but here is a quick tidbit of how silly, and tiny we are:

By now you all read that the diameter of Betelgeuse would place it's surface near Jupiter, if it switched places with our Sun. But, this isn't even the largest known star.

Say hello to VY Canis Majoris. Known, I believe, as a "Red Hypergiant" star. Again, please forgive me if this has been done before. Just a few details on this star:

First let me set the stage-
If the Earth were to be represented by a sphere one centimeter in diameter...
The Sun would be represented as a sphere with a diameter of 109 centimeters...
at this scale, the Sun and the Earth would be separated by a distance of 117 meters.

Then, we have VY Canis Majoris.
Using the same scale,
VY Canis Majoris would have a diameter of approximately 2.3 kilometers...
And, if it were to switch places with our Sun, it's surface would reach out to the orbit of Saturn. (If current theories are correct).

For those of you that haven't viewed this video, please enjoy. If you have seen this already, I'm sorry for being redundant.

The Biggest Stars in the Universe

[edit on 22/1/10 by ThePublicSpirit]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Devino

I think you are absolutely spot on with, not only your interpretation of "heavens rolled up like a scroll", but also that we need to apply accurate definitions of the words we are using.

Many people have been misled or have preconceived notions of what these words mean. Etymology holds the key to many revelations.

top topics

join