It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tough Snail Shell Could Inspire Better Body Armor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Interesting new research!
MIT working with the Army to potentially develop improved body-armor, based on the unique design of a snail's shell, only just discovered in 2003!

A snail's shell that protects it from attacks underwater could provide clues for designing improved body armor to guard human soldiers, a new study suggests.

Like other snails, this one also sports a shell covering its body. Although hard, a typical snail's shell will fracture if persistently squeezed by a predatory crab. Hoping to learn exactly how the scaly-foot snail's shell is designed to resist such crushing, the authors took a close look at the shell's structure, examining it on the nanoscale.

They saw that shell is composed of three layers: a hard outer layer that contains iron sulfides, similar to the ones identified in its foot scales; a more supple middle layer made of organic material; and a stiff inner layer with a large amount of calcium minerals. This arrangement of "rigid-compliant-rigid" layers creates a trilayer, sandwich structure unique to this snail, the researchers say.

Snail-like armor and sporting gear

The shell's structure may one day inspire new and better designs for human protective equipment, from body armor to sporting gear. The three-layer arrangement and curved surface give the shell stability and penetration resistance, highly valued characteristics of materials used for armor, Ortiz said.

Link

Copying various aspects of the structure could help scientists design better armor for military use, says Ortiz, who is a member of MIT's Institute for Soldier Nanotechnologies. The new study was partly funded by the Army and the Department of Defense and will appear in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences the week of Jan. 18.

In the new paper, Ortiz and her colleagues, including MIT Dean of Engineering Subra Suresh, report that the shell of the hot vent gasotropod has several features that help dissipate mechanical energy from a potential penetrating predatory attack. Of particular importance is its tri-layered shell structure, which consists of an outer layer embedded with iron sulfide granules, a thick organic middle layer, and a calcified inner layer.

Link

the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
PNAS

[edit on 19-1-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Very interesting.

It never ceases to amaze me how they never stop looking for an advantage.

Great Find S & F

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   

LadySkadi, interesting topic you have here, just will the body armor assist, or slow us down to a snail's pace is what is really in question.

Sorry, the pun is apropos to the topic at hand because body armor is important.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Personal Armor

Personal armor is a type of light armor used to protect police forces, private citizens and private security guards or bodyguards, whereas hard-plate reinforced vests are mainly worn by combat soldiers, police tactical units and hostage rescue teams.

It is so important because of the violent and often detrimental nature of combat.

Armor goes back in history to many different conflicts, many different variations, and many different weights, and the one true goal of it has always been for personal protection, at the highest ability in life-saving ability with the lowest weight possible in order not to sacrifice function over reliability.

Weaponology : History of the Body Armor (1)

Weaponology : History of the Body Armor (2)

Weaponology : History of the Body Armor (3)

Weaponology : History of the Body Armor (4)

Weaponology : History of the Body Armor (5)

The Persian's used wicker style armor, the Romans and Greeks used plate metal harnessed with various tieing and harnessing implements, and the military now uses various styles of graphite, plastics, and Kevlar combination's, depending on which military, which country, and which level of protection is best deemed affordable and available.

Samurai chose to wear armor while Ninja chose to evade utilizing stealth without armor.

Japanese Samurai Armor

And the fantasy creature, "dragon's" have inspired armor as well.

Dragon Body Armor

It has even dominated the video game genre in many different variations.

DOOM

Like the above classic "DOOM".

Halo 3 - Superbowl Commerical

Or my favorite video game "Halo" which has even inspired fans to create plastic versions of their favorite fictional armor, which I highly recommend not doing when planning on entering combat.

And is even making a come back in Hollywood in jumping back to Ancient Rome.

Spartacus : Blood and Sand

So, while I have not personally seen this new type of armor, I have to ask seriously.

Will it protect me, or will it put lead in my butt and slow me down like a snail?

[edit on 19-1-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Owned!!! Heh sorry I just couldn't resist Spartains example of armor but good thread nonetheless. $&F.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
But the crab wins.
The new armor suits look like robots.
The Army magazines in the 50s had the same full armor idea.
The best way is automatons or robots to do the battles as we
see in cgi movie scenes.
The idea being generated and worked on by Tesla at one time.
If controlling remote submarines around the world was in his
torn down tower's ability J P Morgan won't tell.
But the Navy lost out and evidently any robot army.
ED:

On the contrary, it was in the interest of the Government to preserver it, particularly as it would have made possible, to mention just one valuable result, the location of a submarine in any part of the world.

www.lucidcafe.com...

[edit on 1/22/2010 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
@Stop-Loss
@SKL

Hold up... Owned, you say? By video game representation? I think not. Focus, gents...

A tri-layered structure, which consists of an outer layer embedded with iron sulfide granules, a thick organic middle layer, and a calcified inner layer... simulations suggest that the relatively thick organic middle layer can absorb much energy during a penetrating attack. It may also help to dissipate heat and thermal fluctuations exhibited near hydrothermal vents.

Just because it hasn't reached the design stage yet, does not negate the fact that if the properties can be simulated and reproduced, the armor would be far superior to that which we have available now...

When the design stage is implemented, it's quite possible that it will rival the "coolness" factor of video game armor (which isn't real BTW, as much as you or SKL would like it to be)...

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
@Stop-Loss
@SKL

Hold up... Owned, you say? By video game representation? I think not. Focus, gents...

You're right.

This was no competition.

It was a slaughter.

Guess you weren't wearing your snail armor.

No, I am only joking in this reply, LadySkadi.

Stop-loss! is the one who said owned, not me.

And I do not believe his "owned" was in reference to my mentioning Halo.

I believe his comment was in regards to the history of armor.

A tri-layered structure, which consists of an outer layer embedded with iron sulfide granules, a thick organic middle layer, and a calcified inner layer... simulations suggest that the relatively thick organic middle layer can absorb much energy during a penetrating attack. It may also help to dissipate heat and thermal fluctuations exhibited near hydrothermal vents.

As for your topic and presentation I do believe it was pretty good and I commend you for it.

I even went looking for videos of the "snail armor" and found none.

I was going to mention it more but could find no videos.

Just because it hasn't reached the design stage yet, does not negate the fact that if the properties can be simulated and reproduced, the armor would be far superior to that which we have available now...

You are correct.

However, people who have worn body armor or know about it due to knowledge of the history of various styles of body armor, like myself (the latter) know the proof is in the pudding and until it is out of the design phase, it means little more than that it is a concept on a drawing board.

So, while I respect your thoughts, presentation, and research into it, my believing will come when it has been actually produced, tested, and then field-tested.

And by field-testing I am referencing it actually stopping a X (insert number here) mm caliber bullet, during live combat, not simulated combat.

When the design stage is implemented, it's quite possible that it will rival the "coolness" factor of video game armor (which isn't real BTW, as much as you or SKL would like it to be)...

Much love to you LadySkadi.

I did however state that the Mjolnir armor was not real, the Halo armor is named Mjolnir.

After Thor's hammer.

And just for your edification, no, I have never made a plasticized version of it.

Although I bet the gamer's who play Halo have put more design information together about it then those people who are considering using the snail as a design concept for this armor.

Again, much love to you, LadySkadi, I was never trying to "own" you.

I merely posted something I thought added depth to your thread.

Which is something I always do.

Although, the U.S. Army was working on a powered exoskeleton...

I'm sure the "snail armor" will be in production in no time.

[edit on 23-1-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Here you go...
The old stuff in action. This shows the complete Story of the now infamous video.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Spartan is right. When I said you got owned it was about the history of armor not the Halo comment. You did a good job with the snail armor and id like to give it a try but ill be out of the army by the time that happens. You get another $tar for the ownage that spartan brought about you.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I think it goes to show that more often than not, nature has a way of providing us with the methods to be better able to "adapt" and "improvise" through practical and inspirational means.

ed:
hrm, sp

[edit on 24-1-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Agreed Lady. With more battles ahead, it is important to have better armor then that of today. Who knows we might even have energy sheilds someday in the future that could eliminate the need for armor but still its nice to have high quality armor when facing combat anytime of the day.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
We must preserve nature's designs before they are lost to us forever.

new topics

top topics

join