It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope John Paul II gunman released from prison

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
This is a tough one. I wasn't sure whether this one belonged in religious conspiracies, NWO or the political madness forum but, since ATS doesn't seem to have a "Cookoo for Co-Co puffs" forum, I figured Current Events would have to do.

AP Article

ANKARA, Turkey – The Turkish man who shot Pope John Paul II nearly 29 years ago emerged from prison Monday, declared himself a messenger from God, then spent his first night of freedom in a luxury hotel room. Mehmet Ali Agca, 52, said he would talk to the media in the next few days.

But it seemed doubtful that his comments would clear up uncertainty over whether he acted alone or had the backing of communist agents, as he once claimed. He has issued contradictory statements over the years and there are questions about his mental health.

Yeah, it's been almost 30 years since the shooting, so I guess he's served his time and it's time to let him go free.

That's just the beginning of the story. Apparently this nutcase is convinced he's the Messiah and has proclaimed to the world "the end is near". Yeah, like that's news bub, we all know about the 2012 thing.

"I will meet you in the next three days," Agca said. "In the name of God Almighty, I proclaim the end of the world in this century. All the world will be destroyed, every human being will die. I am not God, I am not son of God, I am Christ eternal."

Agca, who has previously claimed to be the Messiah, said the Gospel was full of mistakes and he would write the perfect one. He delivered a similar message in a long, rambling statement distributed by Abosoglu outside the prison in Sincan on the outskirts of Ankara, the Turkish capital.

Agca had said that he would answer questions about the attack after he was released from prison. He has also said he is beginning to consider book, film and television documentary offers.

Same Source

That's right, this certifiable nut bag is set to make major bucks selling the rights to his story and his new religion to the masses.

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!

I'll have to admit I haven't really payed much attention to this guy in the past and his history is old news but, this is just a little too much to believe. It reads like a history of Turkish law enforcement incompetence:

He was released after completing his sentence for killing journalist Abdi Ipekci in 1979. He had received a life sentence, which amounts to 36 years under Turkish law, for murdering Ipekci, but he escaped from a Turkish prison less than six months into the sentence and shot the pope in Rome two years later.

Agca reportedly sympathized with the Gray Wolves, a far right-wing militant group that fought street battles against leftists in the 1970s. He initially confessed to killing Ipekci, one of the country's most prominent left-wing newspaper columnists, but later retracted that.

After his extradition on June 14, 2000, Agca was separately sentenced to seven years and four months for two robberies in Turkey in 1979. But authorities deducted the prison sentence he had served in Italy, and several amnesties and amendments of the penal code further reduced his term. The situation complicated the calculation of his remaining term and led to his wrongful release from prison in 2006. He was re-imprisoned eight days later.

Same Source, again

And now he's back out among us, and set to make a mint to boot!

This story might be funny if it wasn't probable, judging by his history, that he'll probably try to kill again, and soon.

God help us all. (unless this guy is the messiah, in that case nevermind
)

[edit on 18-1-2010 by FortAnthem]

new topics

join