It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A critical and comparative discussion on Hindu key texts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I want to start a critical and comparative discussion on Hinduism's key texts: Upanishads, Bhagvad Gita, Yoga Sutras, Yoga Vasistha. When I read these texts, I find philosophy so profound, rational and practical, that I cannot imagine how a rational person could not be taken in by their sweep and grow to love the religion and accept its beliefs. According to me Hinduism is clearly a religion of enlightened sages, a religion of philosophers and spiritual people. However, I maybe biassed, being a Hindu myself(I became Hindu due to the wisdom I saw in the religion) I would be expected to glorify it. For this reason I invite others to discuss these texts with me in a critical and comparative mode so we can evaluate the key concepts in these texts.

Now, I understand that these texts are rather large, this is why I am going to introduce excerpts and abridged presentations from these texts discussing key concepts. I will begin with the most popular Hindu text, the Bhagvad Gita. The following is a subtitled and abridged video presentation of the Gita. Watching this will be more than sufficient to discuss Krishna's teachings.

To skip the opening credits start at 3 min into the clips.

Some questions to stimulate discussion on Krishna's teachings:

What do you think of Krishna's philosophy that we should do our duties, but not for rewards?
Is it true that we have no control over the reaction/consequence of an action?
How convinced are you by Krishna's arguments that Arjuna should fight?
Do you agree that one should consider both pain and pleasure/loss and gain as equal? Is this possible?
Should we only act for the greater good of society, even if that involves unpleasent personal sacrifices?
Is it true that seeking sense-pleasures are the root of ignorance and evil?

[edit on 18-1-2010 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Any opinions/comments?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Doing selfless service to God is a good concept because it's not about "I need this, and I would like this to happen, etc' You remove the ego and become one with God when you just focus purely on Him.

I agree with the Gita on that. Serve God out of love, not because of fear or wanting a reward.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Hindu is a persian name. Actually, it's real and ancient name is Sanatan dharma. The word "Sanatan" refers to ultimate and eternal, and dharma means a pathway or religion, which is followed by Aryans. Here. "Aryans" doesn't mean any race but anyone who follows sanatan Dharma. Here too "Sanatan Dharma" doesn't refer to a particular religion but an ultimate religion i.e. It is a path that upholds a code of conduct which values peace and happiness and justice. Anyone can be called aryan or follower of Sanatan dharma i.e. Hindu if he values karma i.e. duty for society; if he values the gyan i.e. knowledge which is of utmost importance and if he has bhakti i.e. any type of devotion towards god, let it be of any form like praising nature, one god, ,many deities etc, or let it be from any religion. These three yogas i.e. Gyan yoga (knowledge), karma yoga (duty) and bhakti yog (devotion) make a person arya or sanatan dharmi (hindu) as per Bhagwad Geeta.. yoga or ashtangayoga (8 limbs of yog) is is the most important part of hindu culture,, as it is pathway to make a person perfect in every field, let it be Marshal arts or acquiring knowledge etc.. . It has great and explained details in books like yog darshan and yog vashishta.. i may tell it later on..

top topics

join