It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newton's Apple; The True Story - awesome link included!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
(If this thread belongs somewhere else, please feel free to move it. Thanks.)

Newton's Apple: The True Story

We've all heard the story. A young Isaac Newton is sitting beneath an apple tree contemplating the mysterious universe. Suddenly - boink! -an apple hits him on the head. "Aha!" he shouts, or perhaps, "Eureka!" In a flash he understands that the very same force that brought the apple crashing toward the ground also keeps the moon falling toward the Earth and the Earth falling toward the sun: gravity.

Or something like that. The apocryphal story is one of the most famous in the history of science and now you can see for yourself what Newton actually said. Squirreled away in the archives of London's Royal Society was a manuscript containing the truth about the apple.....

While this may not be such an astonishing new find, the following link is really cool. It will lead you to the actual manuscript: "Memoirs of Sir Isaac Newton's Life" written by William Stukeley and published in 1752. You can flip through the original pages of the book!
The Royal Society

I clicked on the Silverlight version, which is the one that worked for me. This website (which was previously unknown to me) also contains other manuscripts you may view as if you were flipping through the actual book. If you can get past reading the handwriting, it's kind of neat to be able to see the actual pages as they were written. Maybe some of you will enjoy it, and that is why I posted it here.

new topics

join