It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Haiti earthquake: France criticises US 'occupation'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
French Fries Anyone? LOL

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Haiti has no oil... why would the US government want our millitary to occupy it? This is just one of a massive list of examples of France (and Hugo "God do I love the sound of my voice" Chavez) manipulating a scenario in an attempt to limit the amount of praise the US recieves from the international community.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by dereks

Originally posted by Dermo
and taking control over aspects where the UN has not agreed would be controlled by US forces.

What makes you think the UN gets a say in it?

Are you serious?

1. The UN is occupying the country already.
2. The UN is a GLOBAL BODY.. that means that some random country isn't supposed to just shove it out of the way.
3. What makes you think that the US has the right to move up to 10,000 combat troops into Haiti without at least some questions being asked by other world powers?

[edit on 18/1/10 by Dermo]

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

I would tell the Frogs "where to go".

They think Paris is the centre of the universe but unfortunately for them and thank god, it's not!

The US reserves are huge and right on the doorstep to help the poor earthquake survivors, why would France want to interfere with helping them?

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
[edit on 18/1/10 by Dermo]

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

Because the UN that are the body of many nations gave the US the power to become the major player in the Souther Command global security.

Please reaserch, I already posted a link to what the Southern Command is.

The USSOUTHCOM area of focus encompasses 32 nations (19 in Central and South America and 13 in the Caribbean), of which 31 are democracies, and 14 U.S. and European territories. As of Oct 2002, the area of focus covered 14.5 million square miles (23.2 million square kilometers.)[2]

The United States Southern Command area of interest includes:

The land mass of Latin America south of Mexico
The waters adjacent to Central and South America
The Caribbean Sea, its 12 island nations and European territories
The Gulf of Mexico
A portion of the Atlantic Ocean

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
If we would have waited for the UN to do something about this we'd probably see a resolution with some nice words come out a few weeks from now, and then shortly after that we'd probably see a few nations try to pass a resolution condemning the US for not stepping in and helping Haiti while the UN debated and wallowed in bureaucracy. And I'm sure it'd be Israel's fault as well.

The United Nations is great if you want to impose some sanctions for a slap on the wrist, but people are dieing, and Haiti doesn't have time for the UN. Ever since the Rwandan genocide it's been quite clear that when time is of the essence (as death and destruction typically is) the United Nations is not who you call. They're welcome to step in and do something about the rebuilding, but until then the US needs to do the right thing.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I heard that Bush and Clinton just want Haiti's gold.

Ssshhhhh...it's secret.

Haiti's future glitters with gold

[edit on 18-1-2010 by kommunist]

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by enca78

FRANCE

Need I really say more?

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Military transport planes should get priority if they provide the aid. Civilian aircraft might need more resources than can be provided at this time.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo
What makes you think that the US has the right to move up to 10,000 combat troops into Haiti without at least some questions being asked by other world powers?

Because they were invited in by the government....

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
They may better drop the food out of the planes at certain checkpoints , then the 10.000 soldiers can keep an eye so there's not too much of a riot

p.s dont pay too much attention to the french... last weeks the whole country and its highways where in chaos because of a little snow..

[edit on 18-1-2010 by Foppezao]

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Because Venezuela is a cruise missile strike away from Haiti and they have lots of Oil.

Forward base my friend

Just sayin...

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by enca78

FRANCE

Need I really say more?

Hey man

be nice...

Currently they are negotiating with the Earthquake in hopes of a diplomatic solution....

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Seems pretty simple to me. When the next disaster strikes, the French shouldn't dilly-dally. Then, when they are the first to arrive, their planes will already be there!

There will be no shortage of governments complaining, but I'd bet my last dollar the Haitian people don't care from where the help comes, as long as it comes.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Perhaps it was your family over there, lying under all of the rubble, waiting for help and aid. Would you be ok with hammering out all of the details while people are over there dying? The way I look at it, lives come first. The people of the world call the US the policeman of the world, well this is the one time I am glad that we have that title. It is better to lend a hand rather than to criticize those doing so. We sent money to them(not a loan or grant), we just gave it to them. We sent more troops over there on a rescue mission more than any other country has. We have the most powerful government in the world, I think that they are more than capable of handling two things at once. All of this criticism on the US is nothing but unfounded attacks because they lack what it takes to be there when people need them. They are using this as a publicity event to try to further the anti-american propaganda.

Edit-France can kiss my ass.

[edit on 18-1-2010 by Common Good]

no assistance is needed to further the anti-american propaganda. the governmental decisions began, sustain and encourage it, which is a crying .shame

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Those darn " Frogs " ! .Geez , they still mad we buy most of our Wine from California now ? ...................

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Interesting. That airport was built to handle about 15 flights per day. It is now handling over a hundred.

The Haitian Government is shut down, many of them dead. Only a small part of the Police Force is intact.

The US has the most resources in the vicinity. Had anyone else taken the lead more people would have died and suffered.

So the French want people to die so they can put on a show?

The French in Haiti

To regularize slavery, in 1685 Louis XIV enacted the Code Noir, which accorded certain human rights to slaves and responsibilities to the master, who was obliged to feed, clothe, and provide for the general well-being of their slaves. The code noir also sanctioned corporal punishment, allowing masters to employ brutal methods to instill in their slaves the necessary docility, while ignoring provisions intended to regulate the administration of punishments. A passage from Henri Christophe's personal secretary, who lived more than half his life as a slave, describes the crimes perpetrated against the slaves of Saint-Domingue by their French masters:
“ "Have they not hung up men with heads downward, drowned them in sacks, crucified them on planks, buried them alive, crushed them in mortars? Have they not forced them to eat excretement? And, having flayed them with the lash, have they not cast them alive to be devoured by worms, or onto anthills, or lashed them to stakes in the swamp to be devoured by mosquitoes? Have they not thrown them into boiling cauldrons of cane syrup? Have they not put men and women inside barrels studded with spikes and rolled them down mountainsides into the abyss? Have they not consigned these miserable blacks to man-eating dogs until the latter, sated by human flesh, left the mangled victims to be finished off with bayonet and poniard?"

...As numbers of gens de couleur grew, the French rulers enacted discriminatory laws. Statutes forbade gens de couleur from taking up certain professions, marrying whites, wearing European clothing, carrying swords or firearms in public, or attending social functions where whites were present.

Perhaps the French would like to take up where they left off? Maybe start some new plantations?

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Yea, that's the messed up part about it the whole thing. I find myself doing it sometimes. Alot of the time contrary to what we want to believe, it is what it is. A concerned America trying to help their fellow man.

It's not all doom and gloom.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
The details about the plane being turned away are not currently available as far as I am aware. And beyong that, it seems that the French are just waving their flag at us, accusing us of taking control of a helpless country.

First of all, I don't remember Haiti having any substantial amount of Oil, second of all, we're doing a good thing there, and we are close enough to haiti to do something quickly. It is no surprise that a large majority of the aid came from America and the United States military.

It's outragious. Yes we occupied Afganistan and Iraq, but no... we are not occupying Haiti... for god sakes.

Not like we didn't "occupy" France to save them from the Germans.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join