It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virtual Signals Poses A Question - Why Can't Humans Tickle Themselves?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Source Article

Much to the dismay of wacky masochist everywhere, the human brain is wired against self-tickling. Because the brain controls movement, it knows what your hand is going to do before you do it. Thus it anticipates the exact force, location, and speed of the tickle and uses that information to desensitize you to your own roving hands. So why do we have a tickle response anyway? Turns out, it’s a defense reaction meant to alert our cave-dwelling ancestors to creepy crawlies that didn’t know their place, and the uncontrollable laughing fit that goes along with it is actually a panic response.

I needed a break from all the craziness in the world, so I thought I'd pose a question we all take for granted....Please post your thoughts.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/47d68f232455.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Haha, very cool video, your work?

S&F

Although I knew the answer to that already, it still is interesting to know!

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Well hun, it looks like you already have your answer..... I could add something else but I think it would be a bit inappropriate. But I guarantee it will cross the minds of all that ask themselves this question.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Couldn't I fasten a feather somewhere appropriate and in doing so effectively tickle myself, or would that be cheating? How could one possibly cheat at tickling? It is interesting and infinitely more interesting than economics and that boring trickle down theory, this tickle myself theory.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Signals I never knew that was why!

And I'm completely honored you thanked me in there ,my friend.

That was awesome, so well done. Flag

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I am very ticklish on the roof of my mouth and can tickle it with my tongue just fine. The reaction is just the same as if someone else was to do it with their finger (or tongue). hard to test other areas as I am not very ticklish elsewhere.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
I am very ticklish on the roof of my mouth and can tickle it with my tongue just fine. The reaction is just the same as if someone else was to do it with their finger (or tongue). hard to test other areas as I am not very ticklish elsewhere.

You have a point there...I can too...You may have blown the roof off of this theory!

Thanks for the replies everyone.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
That there were at some time a few human critters that could tickle themselves would be likely seeing how evolution likes to try all possibilities, but they probably went and tickled their silly selves right flat out of the gene pool.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

You have a point there...I can too...You may have blown the roof off of this theory!

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Maybe its just sensitive inside the mouth where as, even if you know where it will be it still tickles (is sensitive)

But when someone tries to tickle ur ribs / arm pit for example its more that you dont know the direction and speed that gets you rather than it being sensitive.

Just my 2 cent

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
This thread made me happy, and is quite intriguing. What a strange topic, the topic of tickling! awesome thread of a topic I have never seen on ATS.

Job well done.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
This topic is bogus to me because I can tickle myself. The bottom of my feet are super sensitive, I can tickle my skin just by lightly running my finger over it.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I acutally tried to tickle myself before, hahehehe. It doesn't work for me

Thanks for the break from this insane world!
Beatles are great for snapping you out of it too.

[edit on 25-1-2010 by tooo many pills]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I can tickle the bottom of my foot... but you're right, it is much more tolerable than if someone else tickles me.

What is a continuum transformer?

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Continuum Transfunctioner? A device whose mystery is only exceeded by its power.

Haha, dude where's my car..

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I can tickle the bottom of my feet myself.

I know this because on occasion I have gotten an itch on the bottom of my foot and tried scratching it with either my other foot or hand. Of course then I end up fighting the tickling and the itch.

Not very fun. Luckily it is rare the bottom of my foot itches.

Raist

new topics

top topics

join