It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Current Conflict can be classed as World War 3

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Whilst reading up on the latest war on terror and how many people are involved from how many nations, led me to have a look at how you define a "World War". So thought I would visit the datum plane know as Wiki Pedia. en.wikipedia.org...

As you can see WW1 and WW2 were kind of defined by how many countries have been involved in the wars and why that gave it the badge of "World War". Towards the bottom of the page it shows a world map indicating the number of countries who have had some kind of involvement in war or who were affected by it.

So, classing War on Terror as War on Islamic Fundies. I starting plotting my own chart to see how many countries are affected by this war. Or how many countries where the Islamic Populace have a holy war with the west....or Russia....or China.
And so far it pretty much matched that of WW2.

How do I upload an image to show you what I have done with a few notes?

By what I can see.......

.... We are in World War 3.

Which is alarming.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by kilas

Hi!

Good point. I think you may be on to something. More research is needed to determine exactly who/how many nations are involved. Keep us posted.

Thanks!

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Alarming to who? When we fight over ideologies it is to be expected. I must say I saw this coming for almost a decade now.

We also must take into account that the UN gets involved in everything these days. That being said; is it truly a world war, or are there just a small portion of troops from many different nations?

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I may be wrong.....

I thought that WW1 and WW2 were not given those titles until the wars were over and being looked back on.

I remember, I believe, that WW1 was called the war to end all wars during it's fighting.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by kilas

At the very least we're at WW4; the Cold War was WW3.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I think that in order for it to be classified as a World War, one would need more people -- or at least a more unified body of people (also referred to as an entire country) fighting against all of the other countries -- also known as the NATO allies.

Right now, it's really more of a civil war since the people we are all fighting against are also being fought against by their own country.

We are not at war against Afghanistan, but rather a group of people within Afghanistan. Now, if Afghanistan and Pakistan tell everybody else to get out, and we don't, and the Afghan Army starts fighting and killing NATO troops in order to get them out, I believe it would then turn into a World War as there would be a number of Middle East countries more than likely joining to then fight and rid themselves of the NATO allies and the US.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
ive kept a day to day list of events since this all started. id call it a world war. United States, Spain, UK, Morrocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Egypt, Israel, Lebanon, Gaza and West Bank, Iraq, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Turkey, Russia, Iran, Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, Kazahkstan, Tajikistan, Pakistan, India, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, China, Bangladesh, Austraila, Somalia, Ethiopia, Kenya, Nigeria, Niger, Georgia.. they have all been involved one way or the other... wether they were attacked, or they captured al-qaeda cells or some kind of action was carried out on that countries soil...

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
could be consdiered the third WW... and might be just that... but what really remains is that one big shot to be fired and then any questions any of us would have thought of will beanswered in a bright flash... not pleasant... but we will know... and once that starts there is not going to be any means of returning to what we now call civilization.... we will live in caves and tunnels... those that are smart enough and tough enough to have survived it all...

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I agree...in a sense. I started a thread, which hasn't seen too much action at all, directing the reader to a 3-part article showing the progression of conflicts from 1945 to the present. The wars we fight today, were set up years ago, with sights fixed directly on the future...

A new World War for a New World Order...

I think you may find it....enlightening.

S&F
Cuhail

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuhail

I agree...in a sense. I started a thread, which hasn't seen too much action at all, directing the reader to a 3-part article showing the progression of conflicts from 1945 to the present. The wars we fight today, were set up years ago, with sights fixed directly on the future...

A new World War for a New World Order...

I think you may find it....enlightening.

S&F
Cuhail

thanks... I'll bookmark it and go check it out this evening...

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Well there ain't much out there to say what classifies a world war. However, according to a few bits I have picked up , a war does not have to be a country vs. country. Its anywhere in which a theatre of conflict exists.

So supposing that a theatre of conflict could mean anywhere in which a group of people have declared a war of some kind against another . Then taking that premisis the "War on Terror" is where Western ideals (Or whatever you want to class it as) are fighting against an extreme Islamic ideology, then plot where those theatre of conflicts on a world map. It pretty much covers the entire world.

Looking at wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org...
Further down the page on the right , it shows what countries where "Affected" by the war i.e. direct conflict, supporting Nato or Axis, had a few deaths, and so on. You can see that WW1 and WW2 where world wars. Although I'm too sure about some countries highlighted....I did not know any south american nations where affected....bar maybe mexico who I understand where on the brink of invading the US.

Now compare those maps to this one : upload.wikimedia.org...

Its show in colour which countries are involved someway in the war. Although the grey areas are not involved. So given that on this map it shows all of North Africa, Yemen, Oman, Iraq as NOT INVOLVED. One must think this map needs a little updating. After you colour in most of north Africa. Iraq, Yemen, South Africa, Thailand...and all the others. It pretty much matches WW2.

So. I believe this could be runner for WW3.

Someone mentioned the cold war as well. Plotting Beligerants on a cold war map I don't think has been done...not that I can see. But if we are to class spy games and what have you as an actual theatre of conflict. Then by definition, the world has been in a state of war since around the early 1800's.

top topics

join