It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Naomi Klein: How Corporate Branding Took Over the White House

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
A great article by the Author Namoi Klein, writer of'No Logo'and 'The Shoc'The Shock Doctrine'k Doctrine'.

www.alternet.org...

In it she talks about how the Obama movement is a brand within itself and if it does not start living up to the hype will destroy itself.

She also recalls a time before 9-11 when the anti-corporate, anti-capitalist movement was really gaining stregnth. And how people instead of clinging to the belief that a Party or leader could change anything. As she puts it ''We were focused squarely on the rules of the game, and how they had been distorted to serve the narrow interests of corporations at every level of governance - from international free-trade agreements to local water privatization deals''

''It was as if people understood, all at once, that gathering this knowledge was crucial to the survival not just of democracy but of the planet. Yes, this was complicated, but we embraced that complexity because we were finally looking at systems, not just symbols''

What she writes and preaches, for me, is the truth and she should be applauded for her absolute dedication to it.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
How close to reality do you think Klein is here? It was a very powerful image and brand that Obama created.

I would love to see the re-emergance of the protests you saw in Seattle in 1999 against this kind of thing.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Naomi Klein is one of the best and brightest writers we have. I think her insight on Obamamania is spot on; the veneer has worn off and it's time to show some substance.
After a full year as president Obama has so far shown himself to be nothing more than a corporate water-boy, running to fill their every beck and call. The cynic in me saw this coming though I had sincere hopes for a different outcome. Given the makeup of his cabinet I don't see any real hope for change. Were he to throw out all the wall street insiders I might give him a second chance. I'll breathe easier when I see Larry Summers and Timothy Geithner out of office. In all likelihood I will suffocate first.
It will take far more than a brand to change the direction of our nation; it still looks to me like the ship of state is headed for the rocks.

Why is it even someone as smart as Klein still doesn';t get it that anthropogenic global warming is a hoax? That is usually the 1 thing that I find myself disagreeing with liberals about. That and illegal immigration.

[edit on 18-1-2010 by Asktheanimals]

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Yes she truly is brilliant. Liberals including Klien generally argue for the rights of illegal immigrants because it is American economic policy which ruins their chances in their native country, i.e Mexico and almost the whole of South America.

As for Global Warming, it seems that the majority of Scientists agree that it is happening so she is siding with people who in their eyes portray the information they have gained in an accurate light.

I like the way she stopped herself becoming a brand with 'No Logo'. She was offered many endorsements which would have fetched her millions and alot of Corporate sponsered airtime but she refused.

She understands that it is not about whether the leader is a Democrat or Republican, but whether it is someone who is willing to move the goalposts and become a real Government for the people rather than just another Corporate lackey.

[edit on 18-1-2010 by Peruvianmonk]

new topics

top topics

join