It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Golden Age Of Hip/Hop

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
As we all know growing up was tough, but there was those certain songs that were played on the radio that got us through the day. It wasn't no Lil Wayne, like this garbage our society is poisoned with now days, but the classics. Sit back and enjoy my picks, I invite everyone else to post their favorites..

Camp Lo- Luchini (This is it)

Pharcyde- She Keeps On Passin Me By

Masta Ace- Born To Roll

Das Efx- They Want Efx (Remix)

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
('') FA-SHO

Yes Yes, Progressive golden era hip hop, almost like a dying art since the only way you get on the radio is by having talent and getting played at 3 in the morning lol, or... following the next trend (autotune) or have a decent club banger or having a famous head like pitbull or lil wayne stop on the track

My pics from back in tha day'

Nas - It ain't hard to tell

Pete Rock & CL Smooth - One in and a Million

Slum Village - Players

Hieroglyphics - Oakland Blackouts

[edit on 18-1-2010 by juveous]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Kurtis Blow

Peace

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
This is Blame One 'dropping fresh beats' about the 'Golden Age of HipHop.' If anyone nods a head or smiles at this, the CD is a 9/10 and as close to back then as you'd want to hear. Being played to death these last few weeks

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Go go chuck D.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Intelligent Hoodlum- Grand Groove

This song has good vibe, I figured since it's Monday I post it for everyone that needs some of that good underground.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Well its time to start up my old thread again. With some more Golden Age underground hip/hop goodness...Check it!

Blaque Spurm - Jizm

Constant Deviants - Feel That

12 Jewelz - Foolish Mentality

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Jneiro Jarel - Big Bounce Theory

This song came from the album Three piece Puzzle which is from 2005, but Jneiro Jarel is a great artist and needs to be recognized just a little more. Great producer, and hip/hop artist.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Am I the only one who likes today's hip hop? You guys are just focusing on the trash. There was always bad MCs like lil wayne. Even today there's great rappers like kendrick lamar, lupe fiasco, elzhi, kanye west, big krit, J.cole, astronautalis, aesop rock, pusha t, brotha lynch hung, hopsin, tech n9ne, slug, brother ali, mac lethal, and many others. I think a lot of people hate todays hip hop just because they listen to lil wayne and assume that all modern hip hop is like that. Don't look back with rose colored glasses. There was always bad rap and good rap. You just have to look for the good stuff.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by targeting

There are many good rappers now, but why does the trash get the most recognition? Imo the golden era of hip hop had a much different sound in production that few producers still replicate, not saying production got worse or better, but there is a difference in style. I like modern hip hop, and now it has more styles than before, but one of the biggest differences is hip hop groups and duos that is not as easy to find nowadays. There are some good ones still, but groups like polyrhythm addicts, digable planets, pharcyde, de la soul, tribe and brand nubian arent found with the feel their era had.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by juveous

Good point. I just feel like one of the reasons that great artists are overlooked is because people dismiss all of today's music as trash. You've heard of kendrick lamar right? He reminds me of 2pac a lot. I think one of the reasons he's not popular is because 90s hip hop fans are too busy listening to 90s music to support him. I personally think that hip hop today is better than it's ever been. Maybe not in the mainstream but underground hip hop is incredible.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

I had to listen to some kendrick lamar, cuz I never heard of him, but from what I heard he has a similar persona to those like wiz khalifa and drake or kid cudi and j.cole. all around the same age, and I know a lot people like their music, but imo, I think there is better stuff out there - not knockin their talent because they know what they're doing. The only artist around their age that I like is blu, other than that, most artists i like have been around and just still make new music. Maybe its preference, but I also have a bias in why certain artist choose certain beats, or just production style in general that makes a difference in how the MC raps. The underground has so many different styles - Plus I don't follow the next up and coming MC's like I used to, I mostly just follow producers and instrumentalists.
edit on 10-10-2011 by juveous because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   

MmMmMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm hip hop

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   

LOL

I'm 19 and hate modern day hip hop....because it is so commercialized they make pop songs and nothing deep or creative. Groups back then weren't as corporate controlled and still had power over what their music sounded like...their lyrics...the clothes they wore.

Every mainstream rapper nowadays is created out of an assembly line. Dictated by the label and all have ghost writers.

Plus most east coast 90s rap was conscious and actually talked about real issues. And the beats were amazing.... can't replicate that analog sound.

The only new rap I like is Blu and Tyler the Creator...because they are creative.
edit on 10/12/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Buddah Bazz - Quote it

K Fanat - Zoo York

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   

School of Hard Knocks - Ghetto Love

Str8 truth on this track

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Organized Konfusion - Stress

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:04 PM