It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Haiti's elite spared from much of the devastation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Haiti's elite spared from much of the devastation

The Washington Post

PETIONVILLE, HAITI -- Through decades of coups, hurricanes, embargoes and economic collapse, members of the wily and powerful business elite of Haiti have learned the art of survival in one of the most chaotic countries on Earth -- and they might come out on top again.

Although Tuesday's 7.0-magnitude earthquake destroyed many buildings in Port-au-Prince, it mostly spared homes and businesses up the mountain in the cool, green suburb of Petionville, home to former presidents and senators.

A palace built atop a mountain by the man who runs one of Haiti's biggest lottery games is still standing. New-car dealers, the big importers, the families that control the port -- they all drove through town with their drivers and security men this past weekend. Only a few homes here were destroyed.

"All the nation is feeling this earthquake -- the poor, the middle class and the richest ones," said Erwin Berthold, owner of the Big Star Market in Petionville. "But we did okay here. We have everything cleaned up inside. We are ready to open. We just need some security. So send in the Marines, okay?"

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Send in the marines?? So that's what the military is there for? To protect the homes of the rich elite that ownes the safe part of the land and survived the quake?
Aid to the poor is just a cover up. As usual, the poor are being deceived.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Mythtified

That's no surprise quite frankly, which isn't to rag on the OP in anyway it's just a sad sad fact but hopefully someone who didn't think this would happen can see this and realize just how messed up the world work's. Honestly though IMHO even if the military was sent their just to protect the haitian elite if they manage to help the less fortunate by collateral damage then at least some good came out of it.

Thanks for posting that up here S+F

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
why the hell would the US care about Haiti's tiny black elite

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder
why the hell would the US care about Haiti's tiny black elite

Black? As in native Haitian? Then no, not black.
Former american presidents, senators vacation palaces. Rich Jewish families. Rich Arabs. French colonialists. Etc.
And maybe, just maybe the odd Haitian who managed to fluke his way up there.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mythtified
Former american presidents, senators vacation palaces. Rich Jewish families. Rich Arabs. French colonialists. Etc.

no, the elite is pretty much haitian black

"RIch" arabs, french colonialists, jews etc would hardly rush to that basketcase of a country when they could have their pick of countries that actually function like a modern state

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   

no, the elite is pretty much haitian black

"RIch" arabs, french colonialists, jews etc would hardly rush to that basketcase of a country when they could have their pick of countries that actually function like a modern state

Lapdogs... there is corruption everywhere...

"They only give the aid money to the same big families, over and over. So I ask, what is the point? They have given money to these families to help Haiti for 50 years, and look at Haiti. I say the Americans need to make up a new list."

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by MythtifiedLapdogs... there is corruption everywhere...

www.dominicantoday.com...

"THE ELITE'S PROTECTION OF ITS WEALTH.
For the most part the 3% of the people who constitute the Haitian elite are descendants of those same families who were free prior to the independence of 1804. There is an elite which is mainly black and an elite which is mainly mulatto. These two groups have their own fights and battles, but in the few cases when the masses have attempted to rise up and assert the rights and needs of the people as a whole, the elite has rallied together using its wealth and power to crush the masses.

The Duvalier family's rise to power was just another in a series of such moves. The present government of General Namphy continues the pattern even today. There has been no revolution in Haiti, just a change of government."

the elite is non white Haitian(combination of black and mixed race)- I am curious as to where you get your info about rich jews, arabs, whites etc choosing that dirt poor country as some sort of retreat?

[edit on 18-1-2010 by blueorder]

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

The color of their skin doesn't make the elite black. To me, black refers to the native Haitian, perhaps I should have added "the average Haitian person".
The colored elite is owned by the true elites who move the money in Haiti and control the treasury. These are mostly american, but also have other ties.
The US just sent what... 10.000 troops? Sure they are also going up there to help, but their guns will also make sure the "black natives" do not take out the elite in the meantime. It is all about self interest.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   

genuinely interested in how you know this- the only info I can get is for the elite to be more or less all haitians- do you have some links for the arab, jew, french, us elite living there?

[edit: removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post]
Quoting - Please review this link

[edit on 18-1-2010 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   

The roots of the 3% elite are the French and US occupations. That occupation isn't over. The elite is still owned by the US. Just read Haiti's history. Nothing has changed. It is owned by the big corporations.
Regarding the arabs: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   

The roots of the 3% elite are the French and US occupations. That occupation isn't over. The elite is still owned by the US. Just read Haiti's history. Nothing has changed. It is owned by the big corporations.
Regarding the arabs: en.wikipedia.org...

I know the "history", including the butchery of the white population, including women and children.

If the US owns Haiti what benefit do they get and why is is such a basket case?

What are the big corporations getting out of such a human cesspool?

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Because everything that gets looted and abused ends up in misery. Look at what is happening to the US itself.
Haiti is merely an easy prey and a natural disaster is very convenient in the light of the depopulation agenda. The US itself are bigger and richer. It has more to squeeze from. For a long time the elite have lulled the middle class asleep with their tyranny and named it economic prosperity. The corporations brought "jobs" and "growth" and people accepted their rules in exchange for a few morsels and something they believed was "freedom". Now the corporations are scaling everything down and people are starting to wake up to the system. There is a big agenda to complete so the pressure is increasing. The name of the agenda is New World Order.

Sending 10.000 troops to Haiti is not really about humanitarian help (although it is important to keep up appearances and continue to brainwash people through the media into believing that the US actually care). But there is a powerful elite, an important link in the maze of corporations that needs protection and keep the corporate slave-system alive. The system has ties as far back as the French colonialists and the US occupation.
It's not about the people, it's about the money. Even if you think it is about the people, it is still about the money.

The elite in Haiti might have any color of the rainbow on their skin. That doesn't matter. What is important is their lineage and the agenda they are part of and cooperating with.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   

I get the gist of what you are saying, but what actual benefits are the US and corporations getting out of Haiti?

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   

I get the gist of what you are saying, but what actual benefits are the US and corporations getting out of Haiti?

Obviously enough to send down 10.000 troops to protect those interests?
I could do an indepth research about which family owns which firms (cars, real estate, boats, what have you), owned by which corporations, owned by which famlies leading to which bloodlines etc. But that is not what I am interested in (at least not in those specific details) so if you are looking for those detailed answers you might need to do your own research and find your own answers because I cannot give you those specifics.
What I see is the bigger picture as it unfolds. That is why I posted the article because it fits well into that particular storyline.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   

I dunno, I just can't see that much to profit from in Haiti

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

The direct profit resulting from any action of the elite will always be obscured to the common man. It is hard to fathom how so much destruction and abuse could possibly yield anything profitable, especially when there is so little left. Yet that is the way it has been done for centuries.
No, Mister! You Cannot Share My Pain.

new topics

top topics

join