It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama proposes covert agents to monitor ATS, among other indepenent websites!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Obama confidant's spine-chilling proposal

Cass Sunstein has long been one of Barack Obama's closest confidants. Often mentioned as a likely Obama nominee to the Supreme Court, Sunstein is currently Obama's head of the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs where, among other things, he is responsible for "overseeing policies relating to privacy, information quality, and statistical programs." In 2008, while at Harvard Law School, Sunstein co-wrote a truly pernicious paper proposing that the U.S. Government employ teams of covert agents and pseudo-"independent" advocates to "cognitively infiltrate" online groups and websites -- as well as other activist groups -- which advocate views that Sunstein deems "false conspiracy theories" about the Government. This would be designed to increase citizens' faith in government officials and undermine the credibility of conspiracists. The paper's abstract can be read, and the full paper downloaded, here.

Sunstein advocates that the Government's stealth infiltration should be accomplished by sending covert agents into "chat rooms, online social networks, or even real-space groups." He also proposes that the Government make secret payments to so-called "independent" credible voices to bolster the Government's messaging (on the ground that those who don't believe government sources will be more inclined to listen to those who appear independent while secretly acting on behalf of the Government). This program would target those advocating false "conspiracy theories," which they define to mean: "an attempt to explain an event or practice by reference to the machinations of powerful people, who have also managed to conceal their role." Sunstein's 2008 paper was flagged by this blogger, and then amplified in an excellent report by Raw Story's Daniel Tencer.

Read the full article here.

Covert agents sent into chat rooms, online social networks, and 'real-space' groups, well I guess that there is no more conspiracies behind dis-info agents, now we know it is going on! I'm definitely not surprised that this is going on, I think we all had an idea that it already was. I suppose people will take being called a 'dis-info agent' more seriously now though.

No skeptics in this thread - why, because there is no room to talk this time around. This is real, and it is here to stay.

One thing I'd like to know though is, how come they aren't just using computer analyzing systems to find 'trigger' words and such and then focus on those websites/chat rooms? Or are they?

[edit on 18-1-2010 by highlyoriginal]

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Well it's no surprise this is happening. The best way to take down anything is from the inside.

Careful ats, this is a great website and they will try anything to tear it apart.

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
So no skeptics in this thread? So nobody can point out that this is a proposal, not by Obama himself but by an underling? Nobody can point out that law enforcement has been doing things like this to dangerous groups such as the mafia and gangs for ages? Nobody can question the paranoia of the anti-government groups?

Finally nobody can ask the biggest question here: Are these groups really actually dangerous enough to warrant this kind of action, especially if they may be plotting some kind of harm?

Got it OP, you've silenced me, I won't ask...

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
obama and his agents can kiss my butt. as long as there are decent people in the world they wont let this happen.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProjectJimmy
So no skeptics in this thread? So nobody can point out that this is a proposal, not by Obama himself but by an underling? Nobody can point out that law enforcement has been doing things like this to dangerous groups such as the mafia and gangs for ages? Nobody can question the paranoia of the anti-government groups?

Finally nobody can ask the biggest question here: Are these groups really actually dangerous enough to warrant this kind of action, especially if they may be plotting some kind of harm?

Got it OP, you've silenced me, I won't ask...

If there was any questioning of paranoia to be had, it is whether or not the fact that they are doing only solidifies our positions.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

I am always fascinated when a movement or organization believes that attention means they are correct. A crazed maniac with a gun pointed at your head is just as dangerous if nor more so than an avenging watchman.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Op,

This is a duplicate thread.

Obama staffer wants 'cognitive infiltration' of 9/11 conspiracy groups

Jimmy, the firefight is at the other thread.

Ziggy Strange

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Half the members here on ATS are Freemasons. The irony of course is a lot of presidents have been Freemasons.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
What are they watching, a bunch of suspicious smart people tell it like it is?????

Oh Noes!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I have never had any doubt that the government watches all types of groups, and I am sure that ATS is one of them. I just hope that this doesn't turn into a reason to attack every skeptic who questions many of the far-fetched, unsubstantiated theories that make their way onto these boards.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProjectJimmy

I don't see where groups like ATS are dangerous. I guess they are VIEWED as being dangerous by those who wish to keep everyone in the dark about every damn thing, as our government certainly does!!!

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ViperFoxBat
Half the members here on ATS are Freemasons.

Oh yeah, and the Freemasons are "eeevil!" OOOOOOH.... Get off of it, man!!!

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Sorry but if they watched this site they would not only waist a lot of tax money. A quck survey of the site would show you that there isn't much they can learn here, and disinformation would be argued for days.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

And here is Australia's BRAND NEW frontline trench [called the "Pit" funnily enough!
] on that cyberwarfare battlefront, with it's special army of 50+ and soon to be 130+ Aussie digger DSD cyberwarriors soon to be posting ATS threads in an ATS forum subscribed to by you!

Australia: Cyber security center unveiled. [ATS thread]

Personal Disclosure:
If the NWO is getting this bold I think we have reached the river in this high stakes poker game! So do we Hold them or Fold them ?

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
He only has 3 more years. What could be so important in those 3 more years? Maybe this is an effort against cyberterrorism because Islam has infiltrated the Western internet that was suppose to be an information highway and is now a platform for spreading hate and anti-Westernism.

Point of views differ when you understand who the real enemy is.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
If you uncover a legit terrorist plot in your neighborhood, you have just exposed a conspiracy.

So the gov't doesn't want the vigilant citizenry scoping out possible conspiracies to help catch the bad guys??

You must attack this from the weakest angle, it's very own backbone.
Reverse psychology, fight fire with fire.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
IMHO I think any "agent" they send here would eventually become compromised. we have quite the knowledgeable group here, and the topics are diverse.

After a while they are either going to get washed away by the sheer amount of info we discuess, or start having second thoughts about what is going on.

The task, being said, is easier then the task is to perform.

my $0.02

-Cyg

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
there is room for skeptism...

as one member said, it was a proposal by the underling, NOT OBAMA...

did Operation Northwoods make it passed just being a Proposal? NOPE, so don't get all scared yet... even though this WOULD be a little obvious that the government was trying to shut us up...

if they don't like conspiracy theories... then... uhhh STOP CONSPIRING.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
God knows they have nothing better to do than spy on a bunch of conspiracy theorists. I mean nothing like oh terorists,jobs,homes just can't think of anything they should be doing can any of you?

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
What are they watching, a bunch of suspicious smart people tell it like it is?????

Oh Noes!!!!!!!!

I love this!
You always manage to bring a smile to my face -

Righteo -
we shouldn't discuss the major issues that affect us?
we shouldn't discuss OUR planet?
we shouldn't dicuss OUR lives or those who are making the rules - that are attempting to run our lives?

Yes - Oh Noes!!!

How dare we be interested in OUR lives.

[edit on 18-1-2010 by spinkyboo]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join