It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stuck in a Vicious Cycle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I have suddenly noticed a pattern in my life.

This is conceited, but the more I realize how critical thinkers are becoming less and less popular, the more I realize how alone I am.

The more I realize how the world is corrupt and hopeless, the more I realize how being "special" cannot be applied to humans.

The more I realize how life has no real purpose or reality, the more I lower my standards and throw away some of my ambitions.

God or no God, it's all the same. Existence is futile.

My grades are dropping and my persistent enjoyment for self satisfaction is floating away. I have become an independent thinker who tries to find a "middle ground" or the "reality" because I am bored.

I have hobbies that keep me occupied, but beyond that, there's really nothing "special" about life. I used to think of Nihilists as failures who has not achieved anything in life, but I now believe that they are probably some of the deepest thinkers in man's history.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I know exactly where you're coming from. The more you learn how screwed up this world truly is, behind the scenes, and how little hope humanity has, it makes one really depressed.

But the important thing is to enjoy the little time we have on Earth... Life is only temporary. It's the relationships that we have with people and emotions that are "real", the material things are just materials out of the ground.

I try to enjoy the "good life" while its still good.. I mean.. I don't take for granted ice, or refrigerators, or the multitudes of food we have to choose from, or being able to turn on a light bulb, or being able to learn about anything we want to on the internet, watch movies, etc.

These are all things that even a couple generations ago people would have seen as the greatest luxury.

We are very lucky to live in this time of humanity.. Very very lucky.

It's important to remember that all of these things can be taken away in an instant, and they probably will be in the not too distant future.

Life is only temporary, and we are incredibly lucky to be alive at the height of civilization. Enjoy it while you can... you will be old, ugly, impoverished, or dead soon. That's a fact of life.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I'm thinkin' I understand what you're feeling as I really don't know what I'm doin' with my life anymore. I stumble across this site a few years ago as I was having problems with what I was being taught in school and the way my teachers were going about it. It leads me on my own path and teaches me wonders.

I used to want to be a real estate agent or something along those lines but now I really don't want to be anything like that. I no longer strive for money but I truly feel like this everyday life is boring and useless in the end. I want to accomplish something in my life that actually benifits the planet and people alike but other than that I resort to petty pasttimes and hobbies to do exactly that, pass the time.

[edit on 17-1-2010 by born2BWild]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

I would say move along, don't give value to what has no value. Try to do your part showing light , battle the ignorance with good rational points and remember the breath of life is what dies.
We are energy (immortal) on the way to the true recognition.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Critical thinking requires making an effort at being persistent in the examination of any belief or presumption of knowledge through careful consideration of the evidence available and whatever conclusions that tends towards. The most astounding attribute of any critical thinker is their proclivity towards problem solving. Problem solving requires developing methods that are workable and function as a means towards solving the problem. It means they have an acumen for recognizing unstated assumptions as well as values, understanding and using language effectively, which is to say they use language accurately, clearly and discerningly as a method of interpreting data.

In interpreting this data, a critical thinker will weigh and measure the evidence, recognize the any logical relationship between propositions, or even recognize there is no logical connection between them, make conclusions and assumptions based upon this connection or lack thereof, test these hypothesis allowing the results to shape the thought process and belief paradigms in a better attempt to make accurate judgments about the environment, nature or even the nature of nature itself.

Critical thinking is not a method that would overwhelm a person, on the contrary it is a method of thinking that allows the thinker to better tackle the problems they face. In this regard, critical thinking should not leave one feeling hopeless and filled with despair, instead giving hope and confidence that no matter what the problem, the beauty of the problem is that all problems come with solutions!

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Do you expect anything to change?

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Sometimes I think the world is crazy... As it has ALWAYS been by the way, nothing new here.

This is a magical time. Relish it.

When Alexander the Great conquered the known world the primary mode of transportation was the horse. (and boats)

Centuries later, Napoleon attempted to do the same... and the primary mode of transportation was the horse. (and boats)

120 years ago... the horse.

Today you sit in a chair in the freeking sky! You can talk to people across the planet! Electricity, TV, Internet, Cell phones, Refrigerators, plumbing...This is a freeking dream. Men in the past would murder you for this.

Philosophers, Kings, Emperors, & Pharohs could only dream of such things.

This time is truly magical. Don't take for granted what you have.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
You aren't alone in that. I feel that way sometimes. I do know if you are in a sad mood one day you'll be in a happier mood soon. Some days are good and some are bad -that happens to everyone no matter who they think they are or what they have.

I'm with you on existence, it's pointless - maybe it's about experience. Of course I could be wrong. We make our own purpose, I can go with that too. Being a positive influence is not hard to do. While we are here might as well try to do right, we don't know how we got here or what reason brought us, if any. Being a good person is a simple matter. Making others smile and laugh is no problem. You don't have to be driven by some higher calling and get all clenched with some purpose to be a good human being... Oh and listening? Most people just want to be listened to sometimes, and THAT is a very easy thing to do if you are patient and have put some thought into it.

I just wanted to add something to your thread, if that goes a little off topic - my worldview is similar to yours but that worldview does not stop anyone from being good or bad.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
With great knowledge comes great responsibility.. if you use your information for nothing other than yourself then you are no less of a part of the 'problem' than anyone else.

Speak out, find likeminded people. I'm stuck in a rut too similar to yours, it's like banging your head against the door, if people don't wanna listen then A) perhaps you're doing it wrong and B) perhaps they don't wanna learn.

Make it funny and wake the masses!

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
To live in the world you have to come to a kind of balance where you accept the preponderance of the ugly on one hand, but don't let this acceptance get in the way of your own limited ability to work for what you honestly think is right.

For example, a single country doctor could easily get overwhelmed at all the sickness and suffering in the world, and throw down his kit-bag in disgust, saying, "why bother, my efforts are like spit in the wind." But when somebody comes to him with a broken leg, he's the only one around who knows how to fix it, so he does. And despite the fact that he's only helped alleviate the suffering of one person, he can feel proud of that. And should.

We all have to accept that our abilities are limited while not letting this get in the way of working to our utmost to do what we think we should do for ourselves, our families, our communities, and (if we can) the wider world.

A few practical tips: Start local...real local...with yourself. But don't stop there or you become a monster. Help your family next, then your friends, then your community. If it all seems a bit much, well, take a break and relax when you need to. Know that even if you can't change everything, you can -- and must -- change SOME things. And you have the ability to do so. Try looking at what seems morally overwhelming not with eyes of despair, but as a challenge, like an interesting puzzle or game to master.

Also, for your own mental health, balance your ethical strivings for the outer world with some inner work. This involves cultivating focus and concentration. Any number of activities can help you do this -- chess, gardening, cooking, rock-climbing, archery, violin, yoga, etc. etc. Something where you start out with little skill and gradually over time can note improvement with pride. Something difficult enough to be challenging, but not so difficult as to be intimidating. Select an activity that demands concentration and focus, preferably a non-verbal activity. Work on cultivating it even if it takes a long time and doesn't come naturally to you. You will see improvement, your attention span and patience will grow, and so will inner balance.

I hope this advice was helpful and not too pompous. Its sort of the way I've learned to handle the kinds of problems the OP is talking about over [number deleted, harumph] decades. Not saying I'm perfect or even very good at it...sometimes it feels quite the contrary. But its an ideal to work for, a package of inner and outer balance.

Good luck.

[edit on 1/17/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   

just an opinion from someone who has shared the same idea...

relax. smile.

be the source of influence. not the object that gets influenced.

it's easy to fall when you look around and all you see are dumbass pigs. people with no sense.

it's a gift to have independant thought. a curse at times, but a great gift to fill you with the wonder most will never even imagine.

growing pains hurt because you must expand. and stretching hurts sometimes. but there's much to gain if you can reach.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Eventhough this world is seeing hard times right now, I think that everyone of us has a special purpose in life. The more we learn each day the more knowledge we can apply to make some changes. All we need is that special spark to fire up our ambitions to bring this world out of dispair and finally move on to the next level of humanity.

top topics

join