It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phoenix Police pepper spray children at the anti Arpaio protest .

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
"Also going to reiterate that any parent that thinks it's a good idea to take a 2-year old to a protest that is known to be tense and possibly dangerous, is a moron."

Correction: any parent who thinks it is a good idea to bring their children this close to Police thugs is a moron. In this day and age, you have to teach your children to avoid the police like the plague. Nothing good can come out of a police confrontation.

The protesters allegedly attacked the horse and the police officer? Yeah, sure...tell me another BS story. One swift kick by the horse and these people would have been history.

Police brutality has become legal and justified. Actually, it always has been legal and justified.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by SphinxMontreal

I guess whichever stance or "side" you want to take,

it ends with the parents being morons.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

What in the world? The police fired the pepper spray not the parents.

You blame the parents because they brought their kids? Maybe the parents wanted to show their children how a protest works? Maybe the parents wanted to attend and did not have a baby sitter? Maybe the officers in question should not of sprayed the crowd!

It is of merit to note that the crowd complied. This "unruly mob" that is accused of being violent did not retaliate when the police pepper sprayed children. I do not blame the parents for the children getting pepper sprayed. I blame the officers that pulled the trigger with no provocation.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Id say many people, other than just cops, act unjustly too. But for some reason, people just dont want to believe that citizens actually do behave badly. Nope, its only cops who behave badly.

You are getting into "The Hannity Zone" there.

Who said it is only cops who behave badly? No-one posited anything near that. Seems like you are setting up and knocking down a straw man. ATS needs to examine the criteria by which moderators are chosen, IMO.

Having said that, I agree that both citizens and police can act act irresponsibly or with malice. What is the difference between the two?

The cops do it while wearing badges and guns.

g2

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
it would be nice to see these parents charged with child endangerment.

a political protest is the last place to take a child, unless you are trying to indoctrinate them with your own views.

let children not be afflicted with the political causes of adults. reminds me of fascism.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by SphinxMontreal
Police brutality has become legal and justified.

Only in the minds of Fox News viewers and, apparently, ATS moderators.

Reminds me of the Pastor's trade unionists, communists, etc. bit.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Well, I went to the Phoenix New Times website, which is a site for the New Times, a local paper.
All I did was go to the search engine, type in 'sheriff joe corruption' and all this came up...
www.phoenixnewtimes.com...
So, I'm guessing you can just read for yourself...just in case you didn't read anything from the other links I posted earlier.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Id say many people, other than just cops, act unjustly too. But for some reason, people just dont want to believe that citizens actually do behave badly. Nope, its only cops who behave badly.

But the cops are the ones who are considered the last line of defense between civility and ruin. Cops are charged with protecting and serving, not bullying and instilling fear.
They are cops because they are held to a higher standard, they're trained to make better choices.
Yes, I understand that they're just people too, capable of making bad judgement calls and mistakes.
But take a person who has even a slight potential to abuse their power, give them a badge and a gun, and let them act with impunity and under a publicly and openly corrupt boss...they cease to become cops, they become villains.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
People only take children into that situation as a detterent to the authorities in reciprical actions.
"We can hit you but you can't touch us , we got kids" sot of mentality, and of course all you get is onesided propaganda from both sides, " we're the good guys, we were attacked first".
There is no impartiality from either side I'm afraid. I'm right , your wrong end of.

And in my humble opinion , taking shildren to use as shield is cowardly, if you have to go to a protest you book a childminder to look after the ones your protesting to protect ,you know with ANY protest it stands a chance of turning nasty.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I'm a punk and an anarchist, I'm totally against police and then of course police abuse BUT why do people bring their kids in a demonstration, peacefull or not, you can't be sure nothing will happen, it could from "your" side or from the cops who want to have some fun, it's NOT a party IT IS a demonstration so if you have kids and you are a bit smart you don't bring your children there, it is as simple as that.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Why are little kids in there anyway? These kind of things have a potential to go from peacefull to riot regardless wheter it's the protesters or cops fault.

Maybe the mother lives close by and was just walking through. Do you know more?

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith
People only take children into that situation as a detterent to the authorities in reciprical actions.
"We can hit you but you can't touch us , we got kids" sot of mentality, and of course all you get is onesided propaganda from both sides, " we're the good guys, we were attacked first".
There is no impartiality from either side I'm afraid. I'm right , your wrong end of.

And in my humble opinion , taking shildren to use as shield is cowardly, if you have to go to a protest you book a childminder to look after the ones your protesting to protect ,you know with ANY protest it stands a chance of turning nasty.

That is some amazing word play but it is no where near honest. Just spin. Ladyskadi mentioned propaganda. Your words are propaganda.

The children were not used as shields. I doubt they were brought along for protections. More than likely the children were brought to share the experience of a peaceful protest. All of our parents put us into all kinds of situations as children and not all situations we were put into ended in the way they expected.

I agree that it is cowardly to use children or for that matter anyone as human shields. I think it is even more vile to blame the parents for the actions of the perpetrators. It demonizes the victims. The victims in this case have already suffered and you compound their suffering by blaming them for the actions of others.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flakey
reply to post by LadySkadi

What in the world? The police fired the pepper spray not the parents.

You blame the parents because they brought their kids? Maybe the parents wanted to show their children how a protest works? Maybe the parents wanted to attend and did not have a baby sitter? Maybe the officers in question should not of sprayed the crowd!...

Yeah, maybe tomorrow they can show the kids how a warzone works. Maybe after that how about a visit to the closed section of a mental ward to see how the bad men are kept behind bars

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Where was all the pepper spray and police brutality at the TEA Party rallies?

Peaceful people have peaceful rallies.

Hate filled people getting together to protest, only leads to trouble.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

and 9 out of 10 times the evil doers been recognized as undercover police officers

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Look, regardless of what we all might think, we don't know why there were kids present during the protest.
There could be any number of reasons.
I'm not defending the fact that parents brought their kids to a potentially volatile situation.
However, you can't claim irresponsible parenting unless you know all of the facts leading up to those kids being in attendance.
From what I could see, that mounted officer just began sweeping pepper spray indiscriminately and didn't care who got hit.
That's irresponsible, way irresponsible.
But, unless you're here in this area, witnessing the rampant corruption and injustice first hand, you probably can't fully appreciate or understand just how passionate these people are.
I can't in good conscience defend either the parents or the police officer, but the fact remains, that we all saw something that ended badly.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Why are little kids in there anyway?

Irresponsible parents. Using their children as a "shield" of protection against law enforcement crowd control.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Several years ago, I went to London for a student led anti-War protest. Not only did I behave badly, I behaved horrendously! Myself and a couple of mates got carried away and began inciting the peaceful protest to kick off and charge the barriers. We got a chant going and after a few failed starts the crowd surged at the barriers and the blue line of police. I was up the front and got damn near crushed against the barrier, nose to nose with an officer who didn't blink. The wind was knocked out of me as a police spotter took photos.

Not my proudest moment. It was fairly stupid and people could have been hurt. It was dumb fun that got out of hand for a while there. So yeah...protesters can behave very badly. It was the first and last time I acted like such an ass. On other marches I've seen similar things happen. *Some* protesters only consider it worthwhile if they can kick off with police. The police response is then condemned as 'fascist.'

I also worked security at a Bristol Community Festival. There's a suspension bridge. Late on Saturday night too many people were trying to cross. Mounted police helped with crowd control. The bridge was swaying and people began to throw bottles at the police and horses. That drunk and coked minority seemed set on creating a stampede. It was lively as hell and very dangerous.

I've been on both sides and yeah...all sides can behave badly...

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
As a protest marcher, the only kids/teens I've seen were on the anti protest (mexican) side - we walk down one side of the street and they follow taunting on the other; cops in the middle.

I'm not surprised they are using their children in this way - we won't get sprayed or whatever if kids are here type thing.

I do know from personal experience that things get voilent. The last time especially a Bunch of whoever (wearing black masks etc. & shields) swooped in and started throwing filled balloons with whatever and rocks and full cans of pop at us (I got hit),
cops, mexicans attacking and pepper spray going on all over the place!
Scarey!

Point is, it's hard enough to get/keep things under control without children being around.
The mexicans know the score and I do believe they brought the children to this protest on purpose for a number of reasons. These video's are just one of them ...

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
the main question is why if you have the right to make your voice heard would you want to "harass" them that are there by your tax money to protect you from them that might harm your chance to make your voice heard..

this has nothing to do with bad parenting or that inuniform police officers reacted the way they did

and more about trolling be it "canadian anarcists who wear tactical boots" or just adolesent juveniles who lack education.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join