It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phoenix Police pepper spray children at the anti Arpaio protest .

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Phoenix Police pepper spray children at the anti Arpaio protest .

www.youtube.com

The demonstration was peaceful until police say protesters near the end of the procession started throwing water bottles at officers. Phoenix Police Lt. Pat Hofmann said officers used pepper spray as they tried to separate protesters from an officer who was trying to take away the bottles.

Phoenix police spokesman Sgt. Andy Hill said on-scene supervisors described a group of demonstrators purposefully disrupting the demonstration by assaulting several police officers and a police horse.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.yahoo.com
www.upi.com

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Many of the videos on this protest are long and uneventful and show nothing extraordinary going on but three videos of this event are on youtube now. Nobody is seen throwing water bottles or harassing horses. Above all I fail to see the justification to randomly mace a crowd with women and children present.

www.youtube.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Why are little kids in there anyway? These kind of things have a potential to go from peacefull to riot regardless wheter it's the protesters or cops fault.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I live just outside of Phoenix, and have for a little over a year.
In that short time, I've heard dozens of horror stories about how Sheriff Joe has corrupted the justice system.
He has been known to use Gestapo tactics in his dealings and, according to some sources, used taxpayer money to fund his own private endeavors.
From what I understand, he is currently under federal investigation, and hopefully, some of his injustices will be brought to light.
This event doesn't surprise me at all, as he's been known to make life difficult, if not unbearable for those who have publicly spoken out against him.
Some of his jails have been under investigation by Amnesty International.
Now, take a moment and think about that...
In this day and age, in the United States, a sheriff, had been under the scrutiny of an international human rights organization.
It boggles the mind.
I'm curious as to how this pans out.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Lets see:

news.yahoo.com...
Phoenix police spokesman Sgt. Andy Hill said on-scene supervisors described a group of demonstrators purposefully disrupting the demonstration by assaulting several police officers and a police horse.

He said one demonstrator struck a police sergeant on the head and chest with a flagpole. Two others threw water bottles, possibly containing rocks, at other officers, but missed.

Hill also said a police officer on horseback was assaulted while her horse was mobbed, punched and pushed. The officer used pepper spray to stop the assault.

Phoenix police said Saturday night that five people were arrested during the protest and taken to Maricopa County Jail. Four were booked on suspicion of aggravated assault on police. The other faces disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

"Most regrettably, a nearby 2-year-old child was hit by some of the pepper spray," said Hill, adding that the Phoenix Fire Department was called to the scene to treat the girl. "I am told she was released and was expected to be OK."

Police were assaulted and some irresponsible parent who had their child there amongst them accidentally got sprayed.

Nobody is seen throwing water bottles or harassing horses. Above all I fail to see the justification to randomly mace a crowd with women and children present.

Why would someone post videos of people assaulting officers and deserving to be pepper sprayed? Hmmmmmm.

[edit on January 17th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Unless you're here and seeing it for yourself, much of the media in the Phoenix metro area is slanted in favor of the sheriff's department.
Trust me on this one.
I'm not saying that that report is false, not by any means, but many in the police department out here act unjustly and with absolute impunity.
There could quite possibly have been something else that incited the crowd to act in such a passionate manner.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Why are children there?

As a parent, a protest is the last place I would bring my child.

[edit on 17-1-2010 by loam]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Matthew Dark

Sort of like people will only video certain things or edit video to show certain things. Slanted like that?

Id say many people, other than just cops, act unjustly too. But for some reason, people just dont want to believe that citizens actually do behave badly. Nope, its only cops who behave badly.

Oh well.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I'm going to have to weigh in on the side that says "what were children doing there?" Pretty poor thinking skills on the parts of the parents. The article says thousands were expected to attend and rally's/protests (especially something that is likely to be tense) is not a place for small kids. Parents are supposed to be protecting children from harm, not intentionally (by way of being there) possibly placing them in the way of harm.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Your point is well taken, and I fully support what you are saying.
I'm not saying that the protesters didn't act inappropriately, or that they did or did not deserve what happened.
I wasn't there, I have an alibi.
However...for your reading pleasure...

www.arpaio.com...

sheriffjoecorruption.com...

www.outsidethebeltway.com...

It's no real wonder why people become so passionate about this subject.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
"Hey honey want to bring the kids along on a protest?"

"No are you insane? They don't need to see that. Ohh you were joking, dear."

And society keeps telling I'm the one with a chemical imbalance in my brain...

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I see no problem with this, you can develop a tolerance for pepper spray... so start spraying the kids while they are young, in a decade you'll be facing hardened opposition capable of taking you off the horse and that's what we are going to need.

That probably sounds harsh...

But Joe is a living evil and he runs a city.

Guys on the take for the Meth trade and simultaneously is the harshest Sheriff in the land on minor crimes from Jay walking on up...

Phx is the gateway for every major lab down in Sinaloa... you can be smoking refer behind a building and a chopper will find you but tonnage of Meth Amphetamine floats through unmolested every day...

You have to have an IQ bellow 90 to not know Joe is responsible... guy even owns the vending machines in prisons in Phx... he makes $ of every aspect of the system personally...

Safest car to be in when your in Phx AZ is the Car of a major dealer, complete immunity just don't have a beer and drive they will pull you out dress you in pink underwear put you in a tent that's 120 degrees ....

I know horror stories... I'd have to break T&C to tell them... the man is the Saddam Hussein of this desert...

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

Why would someone post videos of people assaulting officers and deserving to be pepper sprayed? Hmmmmmm.

Because the police were video tapping the event too and they would love to show the videos justifying their actions. Sadly, that video does not exist. The police do not have that video, the news media does not have that video, the people both for and against the protest do not have that video because that did not happen.

What happened is right there in that second video. A female horse officer trotted her horse right into the middle of the crowd and opened fire.

Other then that their is lots of footage of an otherwise peaceful and uneventful protest.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
At the risk of repeating myself (ok, I'm repeating myself) as I do for every youtube video that's gets placed in these threads as a focal point, or as some sort of proof of something, this just cannot be the end all of the story. The vids are just over a minute long... cut/edited to show a "side" of a story... intent, manipulation, agenda... For it to be considered seriously, there must be supporting documentation, something that shows the "full" picture and this is absent, in this thread. My two cents, the videos (as they are currently) are propaganda and shock value, nothing more.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Their is documentation. I think it is the yahoo link that states a two year old was taken to the hospital treated and later released. The video is shocking for sure but this does not make it propaganda. I am positive it was not pre-arranged between protesters and police to present an unrealistic image of the events.

As I said before the police had their own cameras as did the regular joes that opposed the Arpaio/immigration protest. If their was video of the crowd getting out of hand it would be up on youtube too. These days everyone with a cellphone also has a camera and people tend to record everything.

[edit on 17-1-2010 by Flakey]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Does anybody know if pepper spray had to be used at the many TEA Party protests over the last year?

I didn't think so!

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Flakey

By "propaganda" I meant used by the poster of the video, for a purpose. I agree that it wasn't likely to be pre-arranged, that's not what I meant. Also, the video starts at the point of the macing, no before footage leading up to it... Interesting that the Yahoo source states that the Female Officer on the horse was assaulted... we can't know if that did/did not happen because the video starts at the time she began macing the crowd ... Hmmm...

Hill also said a police officer on horseback was assaulted while her horse was mobbed, punched and pushed. The officer used pepper spray to stop the assault.

Look, my only point is that unless there was ongoing footage from start to finish and every part of the rally/protest was covered and we have a way of knowing exactly what happened (not they said vs they said) than I'm skeptical because I'm missing information.

I don't doubt that the rally/protest was tense. I don't doubt there are big issues going on. I also don't doubt that we, as readers, are not being given the full information from either side...

Ed:
Also going to reiterate that any parent that thinks it's a good idea to take a 2-year old to a protest that is known to be tense and possibly dangerous, is a moron. Sad for the 2-year old, but I lay the blame on the parent for putting the child in jeopardy in the first place.

[edit on 17-1-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by Flakey

By "propaganda" I meant used by the poster of the video, for a purpose.

The purpose is not propaganda. The purpose is to show folks what happened. As I said, the police had cameras as did the anti protest folks. If the crowd was outta control they would put up the videos.

That horse officer rode out from her group of police into the crowd and opened fire. That is what happened. You may not like it. You may insist that your missing part of the story. Just watch the video and read the links.

The story is being reported as "Anarchists that disrupted the protest by throwing water bottles , attacking officers with their flags, and mobbing the horse." She rode her horse into that crowd. No water bottles were thrown. One article goes on to state that she (the officer) tried to take the flags from protesters before pepper spraying the crowd.

The video of the event shows the truth of the matter which is being played down in the mainstream media.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Flakey

Last point and than I'm moving on...

I read the links... it said that the officer and her horse were being assaulted and she maced the crowd in defense. Yahoo source.

I watched the video... the video started at the time of the macing, there is no "before" so one cannot know what happened. I will not take the video on faith. We are, in fact, missing information.

Take it as you will...

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by Flakey

Last point and than I'm moving on...

I read the links... it said that the officer and her horse were being assaulted and she maced the crowd in defense. Yahoo source.

I watched the video... the video started at the time of the macing,

Start that video again but press pause. Then click the pause/play button several times and advance it slowly through the first 10 seconds.

The camera briefly pans to the left at second 10 showing the line of bike cops and standing officers where she rode out from. Her horse was not being assaulted. She did not try to take anybody's flags. The first person she sprayed was some guy in a white T shirt and another guy in blue jacket neither of whom were holding a flag. Then she swept to her left hitting flag holders and anyone in her way. Nobody was trying to take water bottles from anyone. Their was no officer to separate from protester. The officer trotted her horse out, shook her can of mace and sprayed. Later in the video you can hear them spraying again and again.

It was time to end the protest and the police did so with mace. Some news outlets are reporting otherwise but the truth is in the video.

[edit on 18-1-2010 by Flakey]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join