It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My life as a wolf, by British naturalist who dared to infiltrate a pack in the wilderness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
MODS MOVE IF THIS STORY ISN'T NEW.

My life as a wolf, by British naturalist who dared to infiltrate a pack in the wilderness

link

The huge wolf's fangs hovered over my neck. I was frozen to the spot, waiting for his jaw to clamp around my throat - and bring instant death

It didn't happen. Instead, the young male with him gave me a gentler nip on my knee while the older male knocked me over. As I fell, I put a hand out to steady myself and found it resting on the pup's shoulder.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17-1-2010 by heyo]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
What an amazing story. I've never heard of this being documented before, at least, not for such a long duration.
For two years, this guy lived in the woods. 18 months or so with wolves, as an accepted part of the pack.
The article really speaks for itself. Such a magical experience to be accepted by another species. They trully treat him as a member of the family.
Just sit back and enjoy the read.

MORE WOLFMAN IN CAPTIVITY:

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
National Geographic did a documentary as well... I linked his efforts in continuing research (in my thread regarding Wolves returning to the West) to find ways for man (ranchers, for instance) and wolves to live together rather than man continuing to destroy them. Very cool work, he is doing.

[edit on 17-1-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Cool! This totally blew my mind! I had no idea about this wolfman. I wonder if his stint in the wild is the new aspect of his story?
What an amazing guy. I'm literally blown away. And jealous. What sacrifices he has made. From the sounds of it his lifestyle has cost him his family.
I've only seen two wolves in my lifetime. They are always around where I live in western canada but they're elusive. Magical creatures.
I'm totally blown away.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Stared and flagged. Wolves are by far my favorite animals. Dogs and wolves are very closely related when it comes to behavior. If people only understood their behavior they would be able to co-exist with them.

Peace,

Magnum

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
A bit about his National Geographic piece... Too lazy to do another search, but you can open the link from this post (in the old thread)... This is the research bit that I thought was really forward thinking... www.abovetopsecret.com...

Ellis was part of a National Geographic documentary A Man Among Wolves. Ellis believed that if the local wolves heard howls coming from the farm they would believe another pack had already claimed it as their territory, and keep clear to avoid a conflict. In order for this to work Ellis had to determine the size of the pack and play back recordings of a similar-sized pack. Initial results were encouraging and in the first few weeks after the farmer began playing the recordings the farm suffered no further attacks.

The research is preliminary, but if proved to be a deterrent, it could be a viable option for ranchers to safeguard the livestock. I haven't read of anyone else looking into this, in the US.

[edit on 17-1-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

And why should they not follow up on such things? It is effectively a scarecrow tailored to a species that is causing the problem. New ideas take awhile to gain steam amongst our species, as do ideas of conservation. We do tend to take an interest just in time though.
Wolves are awesome,.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
This was a fantastic story and it should give us all hope. If a modern day human can do this, then it means humanity is not as far divorced from its roots as I had thought. This guy seems to be a non-academic, too...he's not an "expert," although he obviously trained himself in this area for quite a while before attempting to join the pack. In fact, the "experts" seem to have discouraged him. And yet he survived. All it took was self-teaching, smarts, gumption, and willpower. This story made my day.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by heyo
MODS MOVE IF THIS STORY ISN'T NEW.

link

The huge wolf's fangs hovered over my neck. I was frozen to the spot, waiting for his jaw to clamp around my throat - and bring instant death

It didn't happen. Instead, the young male with him gave me a gentler nip on my knee while the older male knocked me over. As I fell, I put a hand out to steady myself and found it resting on the pup's shoulder.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Awesome Post Heyo....that has to be the most interesting story I've read in quite a while.

Yum, what about that raw deer leg. It's crazy they would bring him food...

Good Job man

Peace

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by heyo

I forget how beautiful these animals are. They make you feel prideful in a way, like "yeah I'm on earth with those creatures....RAD"

Thanks again heyo

Peace

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by letthereaderunderstand

Yeah I know! I'm just...well, I'm honestly surprised at how deeply this story has touched me. There is definately some sort of longing, or jealousy going on! It's hard to describe. Maybe anyone who reads this gets a small glimpse into what he experiences, but on a higher level than merely taking it in as information. I can only imagine the ridicule this would have gotten from the scientific community.
Trained by natives, fed by wolves. Saved from grizzlies by wolves. I hope his training can be put to good use in keeping their population on the increase wherever our society has influence.
Now, just for a second, compare what this guy's doing to cap'n'trade, and judge for yourselves the benefits of each party.

top topics

join