It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Numbers Radio stations

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I couldn't think of anywhere else to put this, so please move it if appropriate.

Today I was browsing around and I came across this: UVB-76.

This is an unexplained radio broadcast which is basically a loud sound but every few years (at least 3 times) it has been interrupted for a short period by someone speaking Russian and announcing numbers. The thing about this signal is that it's unknown as to where it originates from or who is broadcasting it.

You may want to turn your speakers down but here's a video
or two)

So this led me to this blog:
www.absurdintellectual.com...

The writer talks about numbers stations which are, to quote, "shortwave radio stations of uncertain origin."

In the same blog are linked 4 cd's of recordings of these signals. They are free so I'm going to link them.
irdial.hyperreal.org...

I'm currently listening to them and, I must say, they have quite the eerie feel about them. What is so intriguiging about these signals is that they are being actively maintained by somebody, somewhere. That means somebody is putting money into these things, paying for the equipment, upkeep, and whatever hoops there are to jump through to have these things running. I'm completely unfamilliar to shortwave broadcast so I will refrain from speculating about how much any of that actually costs. Still though, why? What purpose do these stations serve?

I suppose it could be for a small group of amateur radio enthusiasts who have nothing better to do with their life who have developed a code to use amongst eachother; OR it could be governments talking to their spies.

Let's get some speculatin'!

*edit to fix link*

[edit on 17-1-2010 by Mr Headshot]

[edit on 17-1-2010 by Mr Headshot]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I was actually going to start a thread on this but you beat me to it. Thansk for the UVB-76 recording with the person saying the numbers. I had never heard that one before

Makes me want to go out and buy a short-wave reciever

S & F

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Wow, I've never heard of this before. Some of them are pretty creepy. Thanks for taking the time to make the thread. Of course, I will have to go back and listen to all four CDs, now.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
do you think that it could be coordinates to something.....

We need someone to translate what they are saying

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Pajjikor

It could very well be coordinates, but we wont know unless someone can translate it.

Good idea though man!

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I thought that it had been pretty much confirmed that these things were used in the Cold War to communicate with spies...both Americans and Russian. Either that or there is a bunch of islands like on the show Lost, just waiting to be found!

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Maybe the "Buzzer" station is an entry into the Guinness Book of World Records for "Longest recording of the Gobots Command Center Toy Sound Effect."

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Very odd indeed.

en.wikipedia.org...

voice messages from UVB-76 are very rare. Only four such messages have been intercepted in its 20-plus-year history:

* At 21:58 GMT on December 24, 1997, the buzzing abruptly stopped to be replaced by a short series of beeps, and a male voice speaking Russian announced: "Ya — UVB-76. 18008. BROMAL: Boris, Roman, Olga, Mikhail, Anna, Larisa. 742, 799, 14."[6] The same message was repeated several times before the beep sequence repeated and the buzzer resumed.

* A similar voice message was broadcast on September 12, 2002, but with extreme distortion (possibly as a result of the source being too close to the microphone head) that rendered comprehension very difficult. This second voice broadcast has been partially translated as "UVB-76, UVB-76. 62691 Izafet 3693 8270."

* A third voice message was broadcast on February 21, 2006 at 7:57 GMT. (recording of the third voice transmission) Again, the speaking voice was highly distorted, but the message's content translates as: "75-59-75-59. 39-52-53-58. 5-5-2-5. Konstantin-1-9-0-9-0-8-9-8-Tatiana-Oksana-Anna-Elena-Pavel-Schuka. Konstantin 8-4. 9-7-5-5-9-Tatiana. Anna Larisa Uliyana-9-4-1-4-3-4-8."[7] These names are found in some Russian spelling alphabets, similar to the NATO phonetic alphabet.[8]

* A fourth voice message was broadcast on September 29, 2009. [9]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by PokeyJoe

Dunno Joe, from what I've seen they're "unexplained."

HOWEVER I'd be willing to bet they're cold war era inventions, probably still being used in some form or another.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

Sigworthy

I also have another for your inquisition

The backwards music station:

www.ominous-valve.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Also, I just found this website which lists off some of these stations. It's divided into 3 catagories: Regular, intermittent, and extinct.

Enjoy

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
This reminds me that Lost season 6 will begin soon

lostpedia.wikia.com...
lostpedia.wikia.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Strange stuff, for sure! I have a simple short wave radio receiver that I amuse myself with from time to time. There's a lot of strange broadcasts out there. In the 1980's when I was stationed in Germany I used to pick up broadcasts of morse code that was just made up of seemingly random signals of numbers and letters combinations. What sparked my interest in these broadcasts was the combinations weren't made up of a uniform number of characters, as in each "word" being made up of, say, 5 characters. The number of characters seemed to be random, just as the combined characters seemed to be random.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

Yeah that's what I'm reading, these signals are either completely random or they're very coded. I'd love to lean toward code. Although, there's a fictionalist in me who wants them to be random, because random means there's no human intent behind them so who knows what is creating these signals. Probably code though...

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I've heard a few suggestions many are for use with one time only cryptographic pads for spies stationed clandestinely in a foreign country.

Which for me would make a lot of sense!

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

www.ominous-valve.com...
vodpod.com...

it made me think of this:

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
It has been suggested that the UVB-76 tone is there to indicate that some thing is still in operation, probably something secret like a government agency or something or some sort of operation... The tone kinda means business as normal - it did also mention somewhere that the pitch and the rate of the tone changed once for a while - maybe that could of indicated a change in status or priorities?

Also those names that were mentioned are in some versions of the Russian phonetic alphabet.

It's all very cloak and dagger if you ask me - I think it's almost defiantly run by a government department because of the resources needed to run a powerful transmitter like that, and probably from a fairly secure area - given the interest in it people must of tried to triangulate the transmitter.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Headshot
reply to post by kyred

Yeah that's what I'm reading, these signals are either completely random or they're very coded. I'd love to lean toward code. Although, there's a fictionalist in me who wants them to be random, because random means there's no human intent behind them so who knows what is creating these signals. Probably code though...

This is way over my head--could it be that the noise is not the message?
www.patentstorm.us...

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Maybe that's the countdown that Goldblum character was referring to?

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

And now it all makes perfect sense!

nice one there alx

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join