It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Middle East on fire

page: 56
<< 53  54  55    57  58  59 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
El Baradei:

"You have taken back your rights and what we have begun cannot go back...We have one main demand -- the end of the regime and the beginning of a new stage, a new Egypt...I bow to the people of Egypt in respect. I ask of you patience, change is coming in the next few days..."

also:

"The United States is "losing credibility by the day" in calling for democracy in Egypt while continuing to support Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, leading dissident Mohammad ElBaradei said on Sunday. "You are losing credibility by the day. On one hand you're talking about democracy, rule of law and human rights, and on the other hand you're lending still your support to a dictator that continues to oppress his people," ElBaradei told US network CBS from Cairo."

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Lmao NDP member says millions and millions want mubarack in power...haha reporter says where are they? This NDP member is quite the fool he doesn't know what he is talking about

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Pro-Mubarak guy on AJZ saying there are "millions of Egyptians protesting in support of Mubarak" and the interviewer asked where they all were. "Trust me, they're there." Uh huh.

Interviewer asked if Mubarak was so great, why did it take him 30 years to name a VP to help him administer the country? "Oh, well, he wanted to make sure the next president would be by the will of the people." LOL! The attempted spin is hilarious.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Canadianpride420

Doh, looks like we're listening to the same thing! Cross-posted! Funny though, eh? What a hilarious interview.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

haha i know....notice how long it took him to respond to the question about why he didn't appoint a VP in 30 years...

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Updates:

10:37pm Opposition leaders are saying that negotiations will not be conducted with Mubarak but with the army, which maintained a heavy presence throughout the country on Sunday. Protesters are still calling for the resignation of the president. Maajid Nawaz, executive director of the Quilliam Foundation, tells Al Jazeera that Mubarak is a liability to Western allies and to his political friends within Egypt.
9:52pm Local Egyptian television reports police redeployments in certain Cairo neighborhoods. Our staff is on its way to investigate.
8.27pm An Al Jazeera correspondent says that protesters at Tahrir Square have spelled “Down w/ Mubarak” with their bodies. He also reported that bringing down the Mubarak government remains the main demand of the movement.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
The middle east is on fire but I fear it may only be a grass fire, that leads to a wildfire if some protesters have there way....

cnn.com.../video/world/2011/01/30/robertson.alexandria.demo.cnn

Start at about 1:35 and you will understand what I mean hopefully its just excitement speaking

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Sorry bout the link but it is the video by Nic Robertson of CNN in Alexandria the title of the video being Alexandria: says no to Mubarak if you watch from the 1:35 mark as I said you would understand my new found skepticism of what the future of this revolution is.....

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Some interesting Tweets:

@nolanjazeera Dan Nolan: Volleys of gunfire ringing out over #Cairo right now. Sounds like area near Interior Ministry? Another sleepless night for #Egypt 1 hour ago

@bencnn Ben Wedeman: In last 5 days haven't seen any major expressions of political Islam. It's not there, armchair "terrorism" experts. Move on. #Jan25 #Egypt 1 hour ago

@bencnn Ben Wedeman: So far quieter in Maadi that Saturday night. Sporadic gunfire. Neighborhood patrol seems well organised. #Jan25 #Egypt 3 hours ago

One of the things I hate about Twitter is the format in which any old nobody can just tag their tweet with a hashtag and clog up the channels that should be the most useful. "#Egypt" is a mess right now, and everyone seems to think the pro-government-censored joke tweet is just so hilarious they have to retweet it a bajillion times with the Egypt hashtag. It's the number one tweet for #Egypt right now.
That's helpful.

edit on 30-1-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
www.tinyurl.com/5u25gac

^^^ ETA: SaneThinking's video ^^^

Fixed it.

@00nunya00

Indeed. I have noticed a lot of junk with the Egypt tag. Idiots think it's a trend without actually knowing what going on.
edit on 30-1-2011 by flk1331 because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-1-2011 by flk1331 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SaneThinking

Here you go:
Link

When posting a link, use the "Link" button at the top of the post composition window (above all that crap about making your post matter). It formats it for you.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Army keeping people more confined. Some gunshots nearby. #jan25

#egypt protesters at Tahrir Sq spelled “Down w/ Mubarak” w/ their bodies. Bringing down govt remains main demand of the ppl’s mvmt #jan25

If you have twitter and you are interested of the situation there, follow this guy:

twitter.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

thank you both, did use the link button but didn`t seem to work when i clicked it, but thank you both none the less and just wanted to have others see it if they didn`t see it on T.V. Not what I wanna hear when I really would like to put my support behind the ``people`` of Egypt

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I SEE SOMETHING CAN HAPPEN VERY SOON, HOURS IN EGYPT...

Only few thousand protestor in Tahir Square: (Live Stream)
english.aljazeera.net...

Mubarak is not going anywhere... At this moment there is just too few people to resist any stronger police operation anymore. They are in totally open groud, without even any "head bunker" in the middle to give base for any counter operations, if and when attack comes - like I assume is coming tonight, between 03-05 am... Protestor are just sheeps in the field without organized foodsupplies, medical care, water tanks, sanitation, programs... They really looks deserted people there!

Egypt defense min. threatens people

www.presstv.com...

Mubarak visits military oper. center

www.presstv.com...

Now jails are empty... - For people in Tahir?

I quess. - BUT I SURE HOPE NOT!

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
If Mubarak will resort to this, he'd better be ready to fly his *** out of Egypt. A lot of countries will NOT agree with any violent suppression.

Also, I believe that if anything bad happens to the crowd and other protesters, he will just make things worse. People have had enough of him playing around doing nothing except getting rich.
I have to add: do not forget the military. It protected a crowd from cops armed with shotguns by moving APC inbetween them. They are sided with the people on this one (at least so it seems and this is what I hope).

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Reports on twitter ablaze with USA National Guard units being deployed to Sinai prior to uprising WTH!!! Groton, CT. unit sent with orders to Sinai on the 24th of January!!! So we were sending troops ahead of the 25th?????

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by freetree64

Way, way before the uprising----like a year ago:

The Illinois Guard’s 2nd Battalion, 123rd Field Artillery Regiment deployed to Egypt in May. It is part of an international peacekeeping force overseeing the terms of the 1979 peace treaty between Egypt and Israel.

Illinois National Guard soldiers deployed far from Egyptian unrest

I think this is just one of those "how can we get some spotlight" tactics by people who desperately want to claim credit for this somehow, you know? The US has troops everywhere, especially in ally countries, and will continue to do so. Just because one breaks out into uprising doesn't mean we had anything to do with it.
edit on 30-1-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by freetree64

Yes, it is looking like the agenda was being set up a while back,
does it not?

I can only hope that the U.S. involvment does not land Egypt in the hands of

worse than what they had.

Opposition group President's National Democratic Party Mohammed ElBaradei:

See here for my explanaiton www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Why does it look like that? The peace treaty that the US troops were in Egypt to enforce is 30 years old. This particular unit had been scheduled to leave on that date for a while, and left because they had no clue it would pop off like this. We've had troops there for this reason for a very long time. Furthermore, we sent Mubarak over a billion dollars a year to squash uprisings like this. Why on EARTH would we plan to throw all our money down the toilet and leave Egypt in an unpredictable situation that we have less control over?

Seriously, why is it that people so desperately need for the US, or anyone else besides the Egyptians themselves, to be involved in and/or responsible for this uprising? This is grass roots revolution! Embrace it, it means there's hope for everyone! Show me one credible piece of evidence that links the US with planning, funding or coordinating this uprising? The only thing anyone has is a Wikileaks cable that details the US helping an Egyptian keep his identity secret when he met with some Hill staffers and a handful of congressmen, and went to a conference on activism. That's all. We were skeptical that his claims of an uprising were true or even hopeful. We were WRONG----which means we weren't in on it. If there was any solid link, Wikileaks would have released and touted it in the last few days.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

ElBaradei joins thousands at central Cairo protest (Reuters)

Despite ban, Al Jazeera continues to broadcast from Egypt (Army Radio)

Report: Egypt police to resume duties Monday (Reuters)

Noooooooooooo

Oman claims to uncover anti-government UAE spy network (Reuters)

Egypt protester: We don't want war with Israel; we just want democracy (Haaretz)

+1

Gaza residents fear gas pipe from Egypt will be cut off (Ch. 10)

Muslim Brotherhood cleric says Egypt protest casualties are 'martyrs' (Ch. 10)

Hmmm yes. Even here, where we are not religious at all we would call them that.

Egypt announces it will extend curfew to start at 3 P.M. (Reuters)

Mubarak meets with military officials in bid to secure PM status (Reuters)

Dammit.

Report: U.S. Defense Secretary spoke with Egyptian counterpart (Reuters)

Venezuelan President Chavez: U.S. role in Egypt crisis 'shameful' (Reuters)

+1

Mubarak instructs new PM to cut prices, doesn't mention political reform (Reuters)

Gee that's a reform! He definetly wants to stay in power.

U.S. Chairman of Joint Chiefs of Staff praises Egyptian military's 'professionalism' (Reuters)

A bunch of them yes. But still, about half of them are siding with Mubarak.

Anti-Mubarak protesters gather outside Egyptian embassy, consulate in Turkey (AP)

Al Jazeera English Blacked Out Across Most Of U.S.
Freedom uh?

new topics

top topics

<< 53  54  55    57  58  59 >>

join