It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Middle East on fire

page: 40
<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Eliad

There are two types of US backed covert operations. The 1953 oust of Mossadegh being the first type. These are democratically elected leaders who were removed by US intelligence for challenging economic hegemony. The second type I will concede are more ambiguous. These often involve the replacing of autocratic, or mixed political systems with a new dictator. It is difficult to make a case that these interventions necessarily prevented democratic governments. I will agree with you there, and I admit I am wrong if it sounded like I was making that case.
Egypt may never be a democratic state even without any US involvement. It is impossible to know. What is clear is that US policy prevents even the possibility of any progression toward democratic reforms.
Lets take a look at our own US ambassador's comment.

At the end of the day, and the end of their reigns,
Sadat faced and Mubarak faces similar situations. But
Mubarak seems to have managed the dilemma better in at least
one key area: he has systematically and "legally" eliminated
virtually all political opposition, leaving only the MB
standing, having foresworn violence and politically
emasculated. Mubarak's internal security apparatus, an
estimated 1.4 million strong, is at least twice the size it
was under Sadat. Its ubiquitous presence and monopoly of the
legitimate use of armed power makes any kind of violent
change of leader unlikely.

wikileaks
That is an awful large internal security apparatus for a country to afford. Where does a country that is in many respects a third world nation find the ability to do this?

As for U.S. security and military aid to Egypt, which is about $1.3 billion annually, it does not aim to strengthen Egyptian military power against any external threat, as this would be contrary to the declared U.S. objective of ensuring Israeli security and maintaining Israeli military supremacy over its Arab neighbors, including Egypt.

Instead, this aid is devoted mainly to strengthening the regime’s domestic security and its ability to confront popular movements.

Carnegie Endowment

This money provides the internal security that prevents democratic movements. Forgive me if my attitude seemed snooty, but this has been the reality for decades. Mubarak keeps power with military aid from the US, and in return the US has a steady regional ally.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
This is amazing! I wonder how long can Mubarak keep a lid on this? the more they crack down the bemore protests pop up.I think we are seeing the beginning of the end for him.His son and his family have seen the writing on the wall and bailed.With his handpicked successor hiding out in London where does that leave him?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by mike dangerously

I hope the Egyptians get him and hang his butt. Shouldn't be long now.

Anyway, update from Lebanon, Hariri had another meeting with Miqati...

11:39am Hariri after meeting Miqati for just a few minutes said: What is the benefit of participating in the new government?

So basically Hariri doesn't want to join the government to make an unity government... me thinks Miqati will resign, and then trouble will start.

Probably not true... but if it is I hope the US refuses :
Mubarak's defense minister bids for US backing in Washington

Egyptian Defense Minister Field Marshal Mohamed TantawiEgyptian President Hosni Mubarak has sent his defense minister Field Marshal Mohamed Hussein Tantawi to Washington with an urgent request for US backing for his embattled regime against the street protest movement which gained in violence on its second day, Wednesday, Jan. 26. debkafile's Washington sources report that in secret meetings, the Egyptian defense minister put the situation before President Barack Obama and a row of top US political, military and intelligence officials. He warned them that by advocating a soft hand with the demonstrators and responsiveness to their demands, American officials were doing more harm than good. Without a crackdown, he said, the regime was doomed.

Tantawi also warned that the radical Muslim Brotherhood, which has stood aside from the opposition protests, was merely biding its time for the right moment to step in and take over. He asked the Obama administration for an urgent airlift of advanced riot control equipment.

If they give that to Egypt, nobody here will be able to defend the US regarding Egypt no more.
edit on 27-1-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Morning all. More pot-stirring and uprising:

15:19 Human Rights Watch fears Egypt army may open fire (Reuters)
14:46 Witnesses: Palestinian shot to death by settlers near Nablus (Haaretz)
14:16 Former Lebanon PM Hariri's movement asks PM designate Mikati not to shun UN tribunal (Reuters)
13:25 Israel Deputy FM: Iran's extreme leader denies Holocaust and is preparing future Holocaust (Haaretz)

LebanonNow:

14:33 Khalil rejects Future’s questions for Mikati
13:58 Aoun: We want Lebanon’s non-participation in the STL
13:37 Future bloc asks Mikati for public stance on STL, non-state weapons
13:15 Syria urges all Lebanese parties to join Mikati cabinet
12:43 President’s envoy relays message to Sfeir
12:42 LBC: Feltman says we’re waiting for Lebanese cabinet’s course of action
12:41 Development and Liberation bloc meets with Mikati, states requested cabinet priorities
12:29 Rahmeh wants cabinet formed quickly
12:20 Mikati meets with Makari, Siniora
12:15 Hariri chairs Future bloc meeting
11:55 US designates Lebanese nationals, companies as part of drug network
11:51 Kanaan: We are serious about granting Future and allies veto power

Naharnet:

3:07pm Al-Manar: Army intelligence agents arrested three Mustaqbal members who confessed to torching a house in Tariq Jedideh.
2:19pm Lebanon filed a complaint with the Security Council to protest an Israeli patrol’s crossover of the technical fence on January 18.
2:11pm Aoun after meeting Miqati called for the appointment of qualified men for the government and a government that can take decisions.
1:42pm Al-Mustaqbal bloc asked Miqati to clarify his position on the STL before deciding on whether to join the government.
1:21pm Syria urges all Lebanese parties to join the new government, Foreign Minister Walid Muallem said. 1:05pm A meeting is underway between Miqati and al-Mustaqbal bloc.
1:00pm Berri’s bloc after meeting Miqati read a 10-point platform, setting priorities for the new government that included putting an end to the economic and social crises and adopting the “army-population-resistance” equation.
12:39am Saniora made no statement after his meeting with Miqati. He said the Mustaqbal bloc’s stance will be clarified after it meets Miqati.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Are oil prices about to spike?

According to zerohedge.com:

"a lawyer and executive director for the Arabic Network for Human Rights Information, has tweeted that some army units in Suez are refusing to support the crackdown against the people." Which means the government may be about to lose control over Suez... And the Suez Canal.

www.zerohedge.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eliad
Show me one Arab/Muslim nation that has a true democracy, no fraud, no fighting in the streets, just a normal democracy.. The West Bank maybe? If you ignore their fight with Hamas in Gaza... Lebanon used to be the only one, but that didn't turn out well, who else? Iran? Fraud, Egypt? Fraud...

You do realize you're posting on a website where perhaps a majority of the people posting believe that the "standard" Democracy - that of the United States - is a corrupt hotbed of corporate frauds being presided over by someone who they claim is a Kenyan from Indonesia who was born in Hawai'i before it was a state, right?

Point is, show me any nation that is a true democracy with no fraud and no fighting in the streets. You know damn well there isn't one, so why try to single out Arabs / Muslims (FFS, there's a difference) with it?

Yeah, that's a rhetorical question, I already know the answer.

The mess that the British and French have made in the middle east 100 years ago has slowly turned into a keg of gunpowder, and a match was lit in Tunisia a few days ago.

Better that Arabs live under a brutal dictatorship than even have the chance at self-determination, right?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by stephinrazin

That's good enough for me, so the U.S has helped maintain the dictatorship, I'm just not sure they've sustained it, and seeing as how Egypt pre-Mubarak wasn't very democratic either I don't see how the U.S is too be blamed...

If the U.S tries to take down a tyranny it's an evil meddling state out to conform the world
If it ignores the tyranny it's a corrupt state only busy with itself, ignoring the pain of others
If it turns the tyranny on its side it's the backbone of all world tyrannies

At any rate I see your point, and you're right, the U.S has supported Mubarak in keeping away the opposition, it's just that I'm trying to look at the grand scale of things, shake off the narrative, and the restricted view we're getting from various sources (MSM, blogs, etc), and our lack of memory in all things. What I see is that the elimination of the opposition started long before Mubarak days, long before American support and it's been going on for decades.
Look at Syria, for example, the same thing is going on over there, I don't see it getting money from the U.S, and it still manages to keep the masses down...

Anyway, that's all I meant.

And as for why there aren't any Arab democracies.. I don't know, they lived a certain lifestyle, nomadic mostly, and then the French and British came and sort of imposed on them a governing system that they weren't culturally fit to handle.. I don't know..

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

My friend, you're reading what you believe is my narrative, and you're completely misinterpreting everything I write.

Let's start at the end- All I meant was that the cultural influences and governance imposed by the colonial nations on the Arabs made a whole mess out of things (Like bringing the Hashemite family to rule Jordan out of nowhere, or drawing lines in the sand and calling it "borders"), and that it was bound to explode one day. The "match" is a good thing, so long as they don't find themselves worse off.

As for your first point- All politics are corrupt at some level, I mean, for heaven's sake, the Republicans holding the senate hostage a while ago, over the health reform, was it? My god..

And elections are rigged to some extents in the real world too, no one is disputing that.

But look at the Arab world- Either it's a monarchy, a dictatorship, or a non functioning "democracy".. Look at the Egyptian elections- *Not one vote for the Muslim Brotherhood*, do you really buy that?

Look at the U.S as an opposite example- With all its problems people aren't shooting each other in the streets.. There was the ground zero mosque thing- No crazy mobs, there was the recent Tea Party rallies, and the stupid guy with the glasses (whose name I just can't seem to remember at the moment) rally, and the John Stewart rally- No crazy mobs (well maybe the Tea Party people a little bit).

What I'm saying is- Let's not argue narrative here, I'm not trying to say the Arabs are worse than people who live in democracies or anything idiotic like that, I'm just saying that there aren't any Arab democracies, or very few, and wondering as to how things got to that point.

If you can refute that- Go ahead, I'd be happy to learn that I'm wrong.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Eliad

As to your last point---how did they get like that? One of the things I learned in Western Civ was that there are three things that are essential for democracy to survive:

1)A strong middle class (this is lacking in most parts of the world)
2)A strong cultural basis of liberalism (and that's liberalism with a little "l" as in, not cool with dictatorships and suppressing art and whatnot, encouraging debate and research)
3)Broad access to education

The first and last are lacking in most countries in the world period, and even though most Middle Eastern countries actually have a strong history of the second, the economic handicaps and lack of education for all just kills democracy before it even sprouts.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Some crazy updates!

First up, Haaretz:

19:15 Report: U.K. bank freezes account of Iran's Press TV (AP)
18:55 Sources say Egypt police shot Bedouin protester dead in northern Sinai (Reuters)
18:32 Report: Iran arrests two al Qaeda members in northwest of country (Reuters)
18:08 Turkey officially marks Holocaust Day for first time at Istanbul synagogue (AP)
17:57 Despite Mideast unrest, World Economic Forum reject curbs on food prices (Reuters)
17:37 EU foreign affairs chief urges Egypt to show restraint, release demonstrators (Reuters)
17:06 Saad Hariri will not join Mikati's new Lebanese government, Hariri allies say (Reuters)
17:04 Car bomb at funeral in Shi'ite area of Baghdad kills 35, clashes erupt (Reuters)

Naharnet:

7:10pm Head of Free United Lebanon bloc MP Suleiman Franjieh after meeting PM-designate Miqati: We offered our full support in order to facilitate the formation of a new government and we don’t have problematic demands.
6:54pm Head of Mountain Unity bloc MP Talal Arslan after meeting PM-designate Miqati: We hope everyone would cooperate with Miqati to rescue the country from the STL and its direct threats.
6:49pm A gas cylinder exploded in a house in the Beirut area of al-Basta al-Fawqa, causing no casualties. 6:40pm Marouni: Our participation in the new government is currently under discussion and the decision will be announced later.
6:38pm Kataeb bloc MP Elie Marouni after the bloc’s meeting with PM-designate Miqati: We expressed to PM-designate Miqati our total respect for him on the personal level and we will wait for his answers regarding the issue of the STL.
6:38pm Marouni: We discussed the issue of Lebanese-Syrian relations and we criticized the presence of a tutelage authority represented by the Syrian-Lebanese Higher Council. We also discussed border demarcation.
6:22pm LF bloc MP Elie Kairouz on behalf of the bloc after meeting PM-designate Miqati: Appointing Miqati did not happen as a result of real democratic consultations.
6:14pm MP Houri hit back at MP Ali Hasan Khalil: Have things reached this level of arrogance, narrow-mindedness and political hegemony so that the aforementioned MP declares himself a spokesman for the PM-designate?
6:04pm A candle march organized by the Mustaqbal Movement in the North in support of outgoing PM Hariri has headed from the al-Tal Square in Tripoli to Mina.
5:55pm Zahle bloc MP Oqab Saqr: I have not taken part in the nominal parliamentary consultations because participation represents an acknowledgement and I don’t acknowledge the de facto government or the de facto premier.

LebanonNow:

18:55 Kataeb asked Mikati about his stance on STL, says Marouni
18:54 Future Movement members not behind Tariq al-Jedideh fire, source says
18:34 Keyrouz: Mikati was appointment by armed pressure
18:10 Houri slams Khalil
18:06 Zahle bloc committed to STL, democracy
17:48 Michel al-Murr: Elias al-Murr does not want to be a minister again
17:25 Lebanon is not Tunisia, says Jumblatt
17:12 Raad wants end of slogans and unrealistic sayings
16:58 Car bomb strikes Baghdad funeral
16:53 Hardane: Cabinet must prevent Lebanon from falling into abyss
16:49 Qanso favors national rescue cabinet

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Eliad

The reason why Middle Eastern nations, and for that matter most third world states are unable to support stable democracies differ greatly. Each nation has disparate circumstances, and factors. It is a touchy topic, and it is easy to fall into archaic thought on the topic. I am always careful not to perpetuate colonial, racist, or xenophobic attitudes. It is often said, or understood that Arabs are unable to have democratic institutions. That for whatever reason this region cannot get their act together. Unspoken in this idea is that someone, usually western powers, must step in to help these Arabs because they are unable to do so themselves. What this argument fails to recognize is not that Middle Eastern countries do not desire political self determination, but have been prevented from ever having the opportunity to develop them.

A uniting factor in the Middle East is colonialism. You mentioned the arbitrary drawing of borders, and this is part of the equation. Due to colonial influence of France, Britain, and after World War II the United States, political self determination has been combated at every turn. Entrenched economic systems benefit Western nations. The sad reality is that they are harmful to the majority of people in these nations. This reality creates a need for political, and military policies which prevent the majority from gaining control of government. A variety of methods are used to do this. Supporting autocratic leaders, fomenting conflict among minority populations within a nation, delegitimizing opposition political parties, and finally military force. These tools have been used by Rome, Spain, and every other power that has sought the wealth of another. It is clear to me that this is how the world works, and how it has always worked. The words, names, and explanations change. Sadly, the policies do not.

As far as Egypt is concerned I fear that whatever may replace Mubarak will be no different. I admit my knowledge is limited, and I would love to hear someone else discuss this issue in more depth. At first glance though the lack of a political class, or democratic systems encourages the rise of a strong leader. This is not because they do not with for democratic institutions, but that popular support can be easily guided to one person. Like I said earlier, this is due to a myriad of factors. The long heritage of created autocratic governments begins a cycle of self-perpetuating servitude to dictators. All this is my opinion, and I anxious to hear other thoughts.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Nationwide Protest set for Friday Jan. 28th

A Women's Ordeal in Cairo

WARNING People are Killed in Revolution
This man paid the ultimate price for his principles.

alyelsalmy from aljazeera: stock exchange down by 10.61%, lost 69 BILLION L.E. #egypt #jan25 2 seconds ago · reply

RaghdaSalama Confirmed: HSBC has withdrawn all cash in its ATM machines in Cairo #Jan25 #Egypt 4 seconds ago · reply

ilkass RT @Salma_ts2al: RT @3abdo0205: 15 yr old girl died,while she was inside her house. #Sinai #Egypt #Jan25 #25Jan #fb ربنا هو المنتقم الجبار right now · reply

GillFraserLee profile

GillFraserLee RT @Anon_VV: Everything ██is█████ ████ ████fine ███ █ ████ love. ████ █████ the ███ Egypt ███ ████ government ██ #jan25 #Egypt #censorship 12 seconds ago · reply

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I would like to clarify why exactly the opposition is against the STL.

You see, the STL is apparently incriminating Hezbollah in the assassination of Rafic Hariri. Now, first things first, we should always look at what benefits would it bring the assassin. In the case of Hezbollah, there are NO benefits, Nasrallah had great ties with Rafic Hariri, as shown here :

Harīrī was asked by Tim Sebastian why he refused to hand over members of Hezbollah that were accused by America of being terrorists. He responded that Hezbollah were the ones protecting Lebanon against the Israeli occupation and called for implementation of passed United Nations resolutions against Israel.
Which is true, considering our army is vastly unequipped for any conflict with the strong Israeli army.

With that said, Rafic's son, Saad, the ex-PM, has been caught with false witness Zuhair Al-Siddiq. Siddiq is the false witness that FABRICATED "proof" that blamed the Syrians for the assassination, along with 4 Lebanese generals (that were released under false accusations a year ago). Here's a link to the recording of Saad with Siddiq, and for the lazy ones, I will quote and bold the scariest lines
: qifanabki.com...

Hariri: (addressing Siddiq) Neither I nor you, nor Murad, nor Gerald, nor Andy, nor anyone in Lebanon or Syria doubts that they did it.
Siddiq: No one doubts?
Hariri: …That they did it. Now, we’re working with countries — Arab countries. If you can’t bring them clear evidence that the Syrian regime using X, Y, and Z, with evidence A, B, and C was involved [in the crime], then we have a problem.
Siddiq: … If you want to speak like this, then you need to begin to respond to them with [??] That’s the first thing, in respect to the Arab countries, apart from the foreign [i.e. non-Arab] countries.

Siddiq: I don’t want to say something, for him to ask me: “When is that going to happen?”
Hariri: When are you going to bring 1, 2, 3?
Siddiq: Those who are carrying out the explosions in Lebanon: I get them.I get them all. That’s my job. That’s what I do. I’m the one who gets them.

Siddiq: The telephone call in which I told you that they would send 20 people. The telephone call in which I told you that the explosions would begin. Didn’t it happen? You’re seeing it. I called you the night before last, do you remember? Did you see the call? I called you the night before last.
Hariri: Mmm.
Siddiq: You didn’t answer. I called a second time and you didn’t answer. I said maybe he went to sleep and he’ll call me in the morning. [I was calling] to tell you that there was a bomb going to the LBC. It ended up being for May [Chidiac]. May was lost.

Siddiq: Go confirm this information. Hassan: Zuhair, let’s go back to the scene of the crime. Siddiq: The scene of the crime, ya habibi, I’m going to tell you about it. What I want to tell you is this: if the report is going to come out without any confusion whatsoever, it needs to have the names of nine people: four Lebanese and nine Syrians. That’s what the report should say. Nine Syrians and four Lebanese.

As you can see, the STL is extremely corrupted, and Hariri Jr. is part of the corruption.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Interactive Map of Locations of Uprisings in Egypt
Journalist Account of surviving the Unrest
Al Jazeera Twitter Following Real time Protest Organization

Here are some more videos related to the revolution.

edit on 27-1-2011 by stephinrazin because: real time additions

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Egypt:

Report: 2 recent Egypt deaths unrelated to ongoing anti-gov't protests (Reuters)

Shilling for the Egyptian government I see...

Egyptian reform campaigner ElBaradei to arrive in Egypt for protests (Reuters)

+1

Egyptians torch police post Thursday morning in response to killing of protesters (Reuters)

Egypt general prosecutor charges 40 protestors with trying to overthrow the regime (Reuters)

But of course they won't charge the cops for torturing people or killing protesters...

Human Rights Watch fears Egypt army may open fire (Reuters)

MAY? Are you kidding? That bridge have already been crossed.

EU foreign affairs chief urges Egypt to show restraint, release demonstrators (Reuters)

While sending foreign aid to Egypt.

Despite Mideast unrest, World Economic Forum reject curbs on food prices (Reuters)

Of course. Profit rules. Screw the dying sheeple uh?

Sources say Egypt police shot Bedouin protester dead in northern Sinai (Reuters)

More than one.

U.S.: Egypt has great opportunity for political reform (Reuters)

Politicial reform? Yeah if that means reforming Mubarak's body by cutting his head off.

White House: U.S. government believes Egypt government stable despite protests (Reuters)

Really? Stock market collapsing, massive protests, police killing protesters... all signs of a stable government.

White House says not taking sides in Egypt unrest (Reuters)

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIght. Are you sending money and arms to protesters? No? Then you are bias since you do both those things with the Egyptian dictatorship.

Egypt stock exchange frozen after falling 10%, losing $12 billion in one day (Army Radio)

That won't help.

Tunisia :

Tunisia issues international arrest warrant for ousted President Ben Ali (AP)

Lebanon :

British FM arrives in Syria to hold talks on Lebanon political turmoil (AP)

Threats are gonna fly.

Syria FM calls on all Lebanese parties to join new Najib Mikati government (Reuters)

Yeah because if that doesn't happen, big trouble awaits Lebanon.

Former Lebanon PM Hariri's movement asks PM designate Mikati not to shun UN tribunal (Reuters)

Good luck with that.

Netanyahu summons intelligence and army chiefs to a special conference on security Thursday.

Connected to this :

Arabs and Anarchists in Hevron Hills Disturbance

A group of Arabs, accompanied by anarchists, entered the Jewish community of the Mount Sinai Farm (Havat Har Sinai), next to Susiya in the Hevron Hills Thursday afternoon. Residents of the farm went out to meet the intruders and demanded that they leave. Instead they began to riot, throwing rocks at the residents.

The Israeli government is afraid that arabs living in Israel and in Palestine start rioting like in Egypt and in Tunisia...

Israeli minister: Hezbollah agents entering Gaza
Oh boy.

Yemen :

Yemen: Thousands protest government inspired by ouster of Tunisia leader (Reuters)

Iran :

Israel Deputy FM: Iran's extreme leader denies Holocaust and is preparing future Holocaust (Haaretz)

Avidgor being a warmonger once again.

Report: Iran arrests two al Qaeda members in northwest of country (Reuters)

Gee, Iran is not Al-Qaeda anymore?

Report: U.K. bank freezes account of Iran's Press TV (AP)

Just now?

Israel :

State Comptroller: IDF chief-designate Galant invaded property that wasn't his (Haaretz)

Time to fire that war criminal...since he is one. He should have never been appointed in the first place.

New Jersey police arrest man suspected of threatening ADL Director Abe Foxman (Haaretz)

ADL... I won't even say what I think about the ADL... let just say I don't like them.

Palestine :

Maan News: Palestinian students stage sit-in at PLO office in London (Haaretz)

Against Abbas.

Syria :

Fearing popular protest, Syria implements restrictions on use of Facebook (Israel Radio)

Nothing yet from Saudi Arabia.

Jordan :

Day of protest planned tomorrow

Tomorrow will be a must watch for all the middle-east. Friday prayers riots, you know.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Now report...

ALL INTERNET IN EGYPT IS DOWN :

URGENT: Internet in Egypt shut down after AP post video of man being shot. ... #jan25 Downtown Cairo empty of all security

TIME FOR FINAL REVOLUTION!!!!!!!!!
edit on 27-1-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
All internet all phone is now dead in Egypt,checking on sat phone. AP posts video of protester murdered by sniper fire. We better prepare ourselves for the videos that will be forthcoming as they will get worse. I find the ops title now very appropiate as this may well set the mid east on fire.

video.ap.org...

Chomsky speaks as to Egypt,wikileaks,American policy etc. I am watching now.interesting.

www.disinfo.com... /?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+disinfo%2FoMPh+%28Disinformation%29&utm_content=Twitter
edit on 1/27/11 by nickoli because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
How Egypt is bypassing the twitter/facebook ban and outages

Protests in Egypt are expected to intensify with opposition leader Mohamed ElBaradei’s return to Cairo, and reports of Twitter and Facebook being blocked inside the country by Egyptian authorities continue to surface through the social networks themselves, and according to HerdictWeb. Users are also reporting that SMS – short message service – is being blocked as well. Though it does appear that both Twitter and Facebook are still being blocked, many users are bypassing the blocks through proxy servers and third-party apps. Here is how they’re doing it.

CONTRIBUTE YOUR UNUSED BANDWIDTH AND IP ADDRESS TO EGYPTIAN PROTESTERS!!!!

1. If you have some tech skills, donate your unused bandwidth and IP address with the Tor anti-censorship tool, which you can download here. (If you're in Egypt download Tor here: www.torproject.org)

edit on 27-1-2011 by 00nunya00 because: ip sharing

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Here is a video of Egyptian police gunning down a protester. This led to the shutting down of all internet.
AP Footage of Egyptian Protester Death

top topics

<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join