It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Middle East on fire

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

A fatal design flaw in the Israeli parliamentary infrastructure. Too many small parties and the larger ones dependent on precarious coalitions of minority groups.

Characteristic of not fully matured political systems.

Depends. If it would have been the US, Bush could have been kicked out of power much earlier... and Obama would be kicked out about now....so who's really not matured?

If the government in the US would return to the constitution, a system like that would indeed be needless... Anyway I just think the impeachment process is BS and if the congress is as corrupt as the president, the people cannot do a damn thing.

The people should be able to impeach the president, not congress.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
It appears that Russia has also supplied Syria with scud missiles with ranges of 3 to 7 hundred miles. That is a very real threat. Also they plan to and may by this time already have deployed s-300pmu-2 anti air craft missile systems. www.jpost.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

If the government in the US would return to the constitution, a system like that would indeed be needless... Anyway I just think the impeachment process is BS and if the congress is as corrupt as the president, the people cannot do a damn thing.

The people should be able to impeach the president, not congress.

I agree with you in spirit. There should me more parties in the US, not just the predominating two.

Evey political structure has it's strengths and weaknesses. In Israel they actually vote for who is Prime Minister. But the multiple special interest party system makes having a majority and unimpeded programs nearly impossible.

The US Constitution gets battered a lot. It is often open for interpretation. I'm not as convinced as some that it is so impervious to distortion and corruption. IT was drafted in a simpler time that did not anticipate the problems ans complexities of today.

I tend to go with pragmatism rather than idealism.I think many situations have unique sets of circumstances and should be weighed accordingly.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
This could be BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG... if true...

"Ya a friend of mine who plays ETW and lives in Northern Isreal says something was going down soon because of all the paladins and merkavas that were moving north on the back of lorries."

"not sure thats just what he told me. Lots of hardware coming to the north on the back of large pickup trucks and logistics. activity not seen like since 2006"

If true, war is near... especially with Syria and Hezbollah mobilizing troops.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Russia expects explanation on U.S. missile plan in Poland. news.xinhuanet.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

This could be BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG... if true...

Don't get tooooooooooo excited, hope for the besssssssssssssssstttt!

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Here are the last reports:

Clinton’s warning to Iran prompts Syria, Hezbollah to go on high alert

According to analysts , Clinton hinted in the press conference that the US has enough international support to act against the Iranian nuclear facilities just like it did in 1991 ( Gulf War) against Saddam Hussein following his occupation of Kuwait.

She said that Iran had a ‘clear choice’ between isolation and ‘living up to its international obligations’ and added ‘it is important to send [the] message to the Iranian leadership, that the world will act, and the world will act together.’

French FM Bernard Kouchner said Thursday during his meeting with Lebanese P Saad Hariri “: If there was a threat to Lebanon, it will only come from a military adventure carried out by Hezbollah in the best interest of Iran”

So France is saying no attack is planned...

Hezbollah's relocation of rocket sites to Lebanon's interior poses wider threat

BEIRUT -- Hezbollah has dispersed its long-range-rocket sites deep into northern Lebanon and the Bekaa Valley, a move that analysts say threatens to broaden any future conflict between the Islamist movement and Israel into a war between the two countries.

A worrying quote by a former general..

There is no reason the current calm cannot continue, said retired Maj. Gen. Giora Eiland, a former Israeli national security adviser who is now a senior researcher at Tel Aviv University's Institute for National Security Studies.

But if a conflict does break out, "Israel will not contain that war against Hezbollah," Eiland said. "We cannot."

Given Hezbollah's capabilities, he said, "the only way to deter the other side and prevent the next round -- or if it happens, to win -- is to have a military confrontation with the state of Lebanon."

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Maybe too complex for here - there is much more going on than Cowboys and Indians aka Israel vs Arabs.

Syria is extremely uncomfortable with hosting Hezbollah for it's master Iran. Hezbollah and Iran might even represent a threat to Assad's fragile grip of the country.

Discord within the rank and file there is a move to replace leadership with Sheikh Subhi al-Tufaili Hezbollah’s leader 1989 to 1991, expelled in 1998 after rebelling over the strengthening alliance with Iran and the decision to integrate Hezbollah into Lebanon’s political landscape.

Iran is terrified of direct confrontations with anyone capable of besting them in open military conflict. Hezbollah has been used as their mercenary proxy. But they don't want to go to battle for Iran any more.

This may be part of a domino effect as Iran's own military has balked at a war the Ayatollahs and Mr A push for to somehow resuscitate their positions.

It's all been a war of nerves to see who blinks first.

We'll see how this plays out.

www.stratfor.com...

Fissures are already widening in Hezbollah over the group’s relationship with Iran. The more dovish faction led by Secretary-General Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah has been extremely wary of Hezbollah bearing the brunt of the blowback in Iran’s escalating conflict with Israel and the United States.

But more hawkish figures like Nasrallah’s deputy, Sheikh Naim Qassem, have remained more tightly aligned with Tehran. Syria is watching developments in the region and monitoring the potential for another military conflict between Israel and Hezbollah in Lebanon either in the lead-up to or aftermath of a potential military strike against Iran. Syria has no interest in getting embroiled in such a conflict, but it does see an opportunity on the horizon as these rifts within Hezbollah continue to widen.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Yeah it's sure is complicated...

Other news...

From Lebanon

10:15am Minister Ghazi Aridi to Future News TV: The circumstances today resemble those prior to the Israeli invasion in 1982 and everyone has to work for enhancing national unity and preparing the ground to face any Israeli aggression.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   
This isn't just simple posturing or barking........what's going on right now is big time and something is going to happen in the near future.......prepare folks. If war in the middle east breaks out......which it WILL if Israel does attack Lebanon............it will escalate and the economic repercussions will be immense.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Sarkozy: "France vows to try to prevent Israel from bombarding the basic infrastructure of Lebanon, but not more than that," stressing to those he met on the need to "control the internal Lebanese situation and prevent any provocations," according to well-informed Lebanese sources.
According to the pan-Arab daily al-Hayat, Sarkozy stressed that "France supports Lebanon's independence and sovereignty," in addition to being a friend to Israel.

"However, France demands Israel to respect the sovereignty of Lebanon because it is keen on that matter, as Sarkozy told the Israelis," added al-Hayat.

(This sounds like there is definitaly a war about to happen and I am glad France is on Lebanon's side. Wouldn't that be funny if France actually rushed to Lebanon's aid in fighting Israel?)

www.naharnet.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Thanks a lot for this new piece of information... As you said, there's really something brewing there or Sarkozy wouldn't have made those comments...

But his pledge to protect Lebanon from Israeli attack is a joke... since Sarko is a HUGE, a HUGE zionist.

Hopefully the UNIFIL will shoot down Israeli aircraft if they start bombing Lebanon.

Then Israel will have two choices. Bomb UNIFIL...make the entire world their enemy... or stop their invasion campaign...

Or more unlikely but possible, UNIFIL will side with Israel and go to war with Hezbollah...

[edit on 23-1-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Yes that would be good for the people of Lebanon but I am very affraid of what would happen if UNIFIL did that. If anything would cause a huge escelation on a global scale it would be that.

Or UNIFIL just won't get involved and will leave it to the state of Lebanon to handle their on issues.

[edit on 23-1-2010 by Misoir]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Sides are lining up. Silent heavyweight of the region Turkey says it will go with Iran and Syria.

The Saudis and France are trying to seduce Syria away from the dark side. The promise is Syria can have Lebanon.

Hezbollah caught in the wrangling. Iran funds them - but they think they may end up on the losing side.

Russia appeases Iran but doesn't want a war with anyone capable of fighting one to one.

The Saudis see all this as a way to finally put down hard Iranian imperialist ambitions.

Iran may be in the uncomfortable position of their bluff being called.

Lots of problems for them - like not having a functioning air force.

[edit on 23-1-2010 by mmiichael]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Some more news from Haaretz:

10:02 Report: Hezbollah redeploys long-range rockets deep in northern Lebanon (Haaretz)
12:29 Hezbollah criticizes French FM for comments condemning militant group (DPA)

So reconfirmation of long range rockets deployed in northern Lebanon...

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   

12:16pm Security source to VDL: PFLP-GC members are conducting military exercises at their base in Qousaya in Bekaa using artillery, rockets, and anti-aircraft guns.

War. War. War. This is all I keep hearing.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Anymore news of this? i know these type of threads have a bad habbit of going silent and nothing ever happening.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itop1
Anymore news of this? i know these type of threads have a bad habbit of going silent and nothing ever happening.

No. Nothing new in the last hour or so.

Don't worry, I'll keep posting any new news connected to this...

I will go sleep in a few hours... if someone could take over during those hours...

[edit on 23-1-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Its Hezbollah Israel has in its sights at the moment.They would like them destroyed or severly weakened before an attack against Iran takes place i feel.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join