It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Middle East on fire

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Lebanon bent on building up army after Israel clash

From the link:

Lebanon bent on building up army after Israel clash

07 Aug 2010 11:14:10 GMT

Source: Reuters

* Israel says mistake to arm Lebanese military

* U.S. says confident in Lebanese army

BEIRUT, Aug 7 (Reuters) - Lebanon said on Saturday it was committed to building up its armed forces after complaints by Israel about Western assistance to the military following a deadly border clash between the two countries.

More from the link

Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak said he had spoken to France and the United States about the Jewish state's worries.

"We think it is a mistake to arm the Lebanese army with weapons, with advanced systems," Barak said in an interview with Israel Radio earlier this week.

"Because these things are liable to be -- we used to describe the danger that these things would end up in Hezbollah hands, but before our eyes something more troubling is happening, and they are being used directly by the Lebanese army against us."

Evidence for all to see that Israel does not want Lebanon's military to have the ability to defend Lebanon should Israel attack.

More....

Asked whether Paris or Washington had paid attention to Israel's complaint, Barak said: "Not really. Not really.

Netanyahu must be fuming is that's true.

Finally:

The United States has provided more than $720 million in assistance to the Lebanese army since 2006, according to the U.S. embassy website.

In Washington, asked whether the United States was confident the Lebanese army was not being "manipulated by any particular political group", State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said:

"We are, as we've said many times, we're in support of the civilian government in Lebanon," he said according to a transcript of an Aug. 5 daily press briefing.

"And we think improving the capability and performance of the Lebanese government, both across the government, but including in the security sector, contributes to stability in the region and is in our interest." (Reporting by Yara Bayoumy; Editing by Mark Heinrich)

Link (for more)

If that's true, and that's sincere, then Netanyahu must be foaming at the mouth.
We're in dangerous times, and put together with Nasrallah stating he will reveal evidence of Israel's involvement in Hariri's death on Monday,
well, we might see something happen before then for a distraction if Israel knows the evidence is real and can not be shrugged off.

The question of Lebanon possibily having the ability to defend itself irks the Israeli government, it seems.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Regensturm]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I don't know if this thread is still active but I just found this video - in Hebrew - which shows the clash.

Link to video

Did not realise this was your thread Vitch. Hope it is OK to put this here.

[edit on 7/8/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Nah it's alright. Anyone is welcome to post news about the situation.

Thanks for your contribution!

2 Incidents Prompt Lebanese, Israeli Troops Alert
Two more ways war could have started... this is getting dangerous.

3 High-Ranking State Employees Arrested on Suspicion of Spying for Israel
Again...

UNIFIL Commander Maj. Gen. Alberto Asarta told President Michel Suleiman, who was on a visit to the south on Saturday, that "solid coordination" between U.N. peacekeepers and the Lebanese army would continue.
Good.

Israeli gunboat fired shots toward Lebanese waters
Another provocation...

War on Iran will cripple intl. economy'
Yep.

US official rejects total embargo on Iran
Good...because that would mean a declaration of war. And no way in hell China and Turkey would abide by that. And that would mean more trouble.

Iran slams embassy attack in Norway
What the hell?

Israel violates Lebanese airspace again
ANOTHER PROVOCATION. This also shows how Lebanon is a threat...

Castro warns of 'nuclear holocaust'
Indeed.

Turkish group IHH may re-send flotilla ships to Gaza in effort to bust siege (Israel Radio)

Now that's funny.

Ayatollah calls on Iranian government not to interfere with Islam issues (DPA)

Little split there?

Taking the World Down With Them: Bombing Iran

India, Iran discuss 'regional solution' in Afghanistan
IMO NATO should leave and the Iran, Pakistan, India and others in the region should resolve this themselves.

Iran Warns of Tough Reaction to Enemy Reconnaissance Flights
Yeah if you detect the flights in the first place.

Iran Plans to Unveil Highly Advanced Military Equipment Next Month
Probably the old stuff again shown as new.

Envoy: Iran to Continue Gas Exports to Bahrain Irrespective of Sanctions
Sanctions... are a joke.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Lines blur between Hezbollah, Lebanese army
Isn't it normal that a soldier, which wants to protect it's country, could be a soldier and at the same time like Hezbollah which is there for the same purpose?

The daily Al Hayat reported Sunday from official Lebanese sources that Beirut is set to contact the United Nations over how to deal with the four border points south of the Blue Line that the country seeks to restore from Israeli control without resorting to force.
Will Israel or UNIFIL accepts this?

Ahmadinejad to Visit Lebanon after Ramadan
It seems to me Ahmadinejad is not concerned with a war otherwise he would have visited in the last few days.

Israel Fires Warning Shots towards Lebanese Boat
Another provocation... so much fun eh Israel?

Israel confirms shooting at Lebanese fishing boat
One provocation everyday almost...but eh, Israel just wants peace right?

IDF confirms firing warning shots toward Lebanese ship near border (Army Radio)

Well there you go for all the Zionists who will say it's Lebanese propaganda.

Clinton says US remains open to engagement with Iran
Yeah right.

Ahmadinejad popularity soars in ME
Easy to understand. He stands up to bullies like Israel and the US who think they can do whatever the hell they want. Of course the average guy in the middle-east will support the one guy standing up whoever he is.

Iran casts doubt on US, Israel war plans
Hope you are right.

Hezbollah to unleash 'thunder' on Israel
Tomorrow is gonna be interesting for sure.

Four Ghadir submarines join Iran fleet
120 tons submarines... which is VERY SMALL. Only there for Iranian coast protection... not to attack Israel or some BS like that. They can lay mines.

Iran will also deploy very soon a ``semi-heavy`` submarine that can go in high seas. More details might be available when it's launched... in a few days apparently.

'Iran let to export gas to Syria via Iraq'
Now that's an interesting twist.

Iranian companies urged to invest in Iraq
Iran-Iraq buddies again, nice.

FM: Iran sides with Lebanon, Syria
Well duh. Mutual defense treaty with Syria and funding, training and arming Hezbollah...

Amano is fixing date for nuclear talks: Mottaki
Good more diplomacy.

One more aid convoy to head to Gaza: Galloway
One more...

Iran to Further Boost Air Defense Power
Does he mean the new system they are developing using the few S-300 missiles they have received?

Abbas agrees to int'l force along borders, regardless of troops' religion (Ch. 10)

So let me get this straight... Gaza/West bank will have UN troops at it's border? Now if they are as ``effective`` as UNIFIL won't be much of a help.

Gaza hospitals declare state of emergency after power plant shuts down (Haaretz)

I'm sure this won't create a few other extremists... no can't be...

EDIT: Russian nuclear-powered cruiser calls at Goa port
Russia largest warship is on India's western coast... for exercises with the Indian army. Who knows if something happens with Iran...

All in all, I think we are approaching the danger zone. I would say the next 3-4 days are the most important for an immediate war with Israel. The next 2 weeks for a new civil war in Lebanon. October might also be dangerous, but October would be bad for a number of reasons.

IMO this is now or never for Israel and those advocating a war against Hezbollah/Iran.

Thanks to Castro and the former CIA/FBI guys and maybe even the incident on the Lebanon-Israel border, the prospect of war went down.

[edit on 8-8-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Lines blur between Hezbollah, Lebanese army
Isn't it normal that a soldier, which wants to protect it's country, could be a soldier and at the same time like Hezbollah which is there for the same purpose?

Exactly, just like someone in the US could be a member of the US Military and at the same time be a member of a Militia.

The Lebanese Army is made up of people of most, if not all the religions of Lebanon, and there are those who may have membership to different political parties and militias. Hezbollah will be one of them. 'infiltrating' the Lebanese Army as Israel claims Hezbollah is doing is something Hezbollah does not need to do, when it's members can join the Lebanese military overtly, just like members from the other political parties and militias.

In regards to the Israeli 'warning shots' over the weekend....it's possible they were attempts to provoke a war before a possible reveal by Nasrallah of Israeli involvement in Hariri's killing today.

Let's see what Nasrallah says today.

In the meantime, here is what Netanyahu is saying....

Raid was lawful, Israel's Netanyahu tells Gaza flotilla inquiry

In other words, it was lawful because I say so. I hereby find myself not guilty, and I am free to go, my own Judge, Jury and Executioner.

Must be nice to be a criminal who can create his own courts from his sense of justice and find himself not guilty, where being brought to account is a slim chance.

Check out his transcript to the Gaza ship 'inquiry':

TEXT-Excerpts from Netanyahu testimony to Gaza ship inquiry

Snippet from the link:

I should point out that on the 17th of that month the Turkish prime minister met the president of Iran, Ahmadinejad, and the president of Brazil for a joint declaration on the matter of the Iranian nuclear deal, which was contrary to the position of the United States and the other permanent members of the Security Council. Thus Turkey bolstered its solidarity and cooperation with Iran in the days before the flotilla.

Link (for more)

In other words, Netanyahu is trying to make out Turkey are in an axis with Iran and Brazil against Israel, and so the Turks on the aid flotilla were asking for it, that's essentially the tone he is taking here.

The truth is that Brazil and Turkey were trying to avoid an international incident by having Iran agree to a nuclear deal that could hopefully placate the West and avoid further tensions in the world.

Turkey was not only the mediator here, but was also a mediator in the Israel-Syria talks, which as I mentioned earlier, had the hint of being deliberately sabotaged by Israel.

But don't let the truth get in the way of a good story and your agenda hey Netanyahu. You've never done before, why stop now.

Turkey will not like this casting of aspersions on their country, particulary after what's happened. They will not be happy, and neither to a less extent, will Brazil like having their motives falsely tainted by Israel.

Abbas agrees to int'l force along borders, regardless of troops' religion (Ch. 10)

So let me get this straight... Gaza/West bank will have UN troops at it's border? Now if they are as ``effective`` as UNIFIL won't be much of a help.

Only along The West Bank if true. Abbas has no authority in Gaza. Israel would never allow it anyway.

All in all, I think we are approaching the danger zone. I would say the next 3-4 days are the most important for an immediate war with Israel. The next 2 weeks for a new civil war in Lebanon. October might also be dangerous, but October would be bad for a number of reasons.

IMO this is now or never for Israel and those advocating a war against Hezbollah/Iran.

Thanks to Castro and the former CIA/FBI guys and maybe even the incident on the Lebanon-Israel border, the prospect of war went down.

The danger zone is now, in my opinion. A few pages ago we were discussing about the danger Summer brings to world peace and why, and what with recent events, and statements underlining my point I made back then.... it's a tinderbox, and it's all lining up for war.

If war does not break out now, I think the situation at the moment suggests that it will take place not much later, depending on what happens to calm things down or flare up matters.

At the moment as things stand, I would go as far as to say when, not if, war will start.

The signs are quite honestly not encouraging.

Bushehr reportedly to receive first shipment of nuclear fuel 36 years after construction began on the project....

Eyes on the Skies Over Bushehr Nuclear Reactor

From the Link:

Eyes on the Skies Over Bushehr Nuclear Reactor

Analysis by Marsha B. Cohen

MIAMI, Aug 6, 2010 (IPS) - Iran's light water nuclear power plant at Bushehr is preparing to go "live" - again.

Iranian and Russian nuclear scientists and officials have announced Bushehr's reactor will soon be receiving its first shipment of nuclear fuel 36 years after construction first began on the project.

This claim may be quietly fueling speculation that a military strike on Iran by Israel - or the U.S. - may be imminent.

Link

A strike before the shipment arrives, the article speculates.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by Regensturm]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Clinton: Iran knows what it must do to bring about resumption of dialogue (Israel Radio)

Bow down to the US of course and let corporations take over any industry in Iran.

Report: U.S. to sell dozens of F-15 jet fighters to Saudi Arabia (Israel Radio)

Israel won't like that at all.

Joint Iran-Russia nuclear power plant to open in Bushehr in late September (DPA)

So there you have a more precise window for a strike.

Iran denies that its ties with Syria are deteriorating (Reuters)

Duh.

Jumblat to Help Army Obtain Arms from 'Anywhere in the World'
And with what money? Better get some S-300/S-400 and maybe some Iskanders.

Erdogan to Visit Lebanon for Talks with Lebanese Leaders
As you said Regensturm, Israel will say Turkey is now the enemy...

Nasrallah: Israel wouldn't miss a chance to create an uproar and use Hariri's blood to drive Syria out of Lebanon and besiege the Resistance.

Indeed.

Nasrallah: The Israeli enemy has wiretapping devices, aerial and field surveillance in addition to logistic support to carry out the assassination operation in the Lebanese interior.

Which they admit and has been caught numbers of times.

Lebanon-Israel Border Clash May 'Simply' have been a Misunderstanding, Report
Yep. Israel went over the fence, but it was still in the buffer zone, obviously Lebanese soldiers didn't know this and shot at them.

U.S. Officers Urge Israeli Leaders to Stop Intimidating Lebanon, Army
To be called anti-semitic in 3...2....

Report: Army Mulling to Reward Adeisseh Officers Without Unveiling Identities
Israel is gonna be pissed at that for sure.

None of Army Officers whose Names Appeared Recently Arrested
One more reason for Israel to be pissed.

Israel's U.S. Ambassador: Israel Doesn't Differentiate between Army, Hizbullah
Of course they don't. They call them all dirty Arabs terrorists.

Pro-Israel U.S. Lawmaker Asks Congress to Block Aid to Lebanese Army
What about cutting aid to Israel? Israel started wars and is making provocations about everyday...

New moon tomorrow/tonight.
Bushehr reactor complete in late September.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Oh boy... let's hope Debka is full of it as always. But considering the day it is...

Big Israeli military drill as Nasrallah charges plot against Lebanese leaders

And so enough fuel was poured on the already incendiary Israel-Lebanese, Israel-Syrian borders to prompt a large-scale Israeli military exercise to start the following morning, Tuesday, Aug. 10.

Israel is to move large tank, armored infantry and artillery up north as an extra warning to Tehran, Damascus and Beirut not to let their crises spill over to Israel's borders or generate a repeat of the Aug. 3 military clash in which Lt. Col. Dov Harari was killed by a Lebanese sniper.

Monday night, the Israeli military unusually warned citizens and motorists they would have to put up with heavy military traffic on the northern highways leading from the center of the country to the shores of the Sea of Galilee, Upper Galilee and the Golan - in particular Route 71 linking Afulah and Bet Shean, and Routes 90 and 92 which circle the lake and reach the Galilee Panhandle. They were advised to avoid the roads leading up to the Israeli-Syrian and Israeli-Lebanese borders.

Israel doing a massive military exercise on it's northern border... just the day of the new moon...

Coincidence? I THINK NOT.

I hope Debka is making this up.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Nasrallah reveals Hariri murder 'evidence'

From the link:

Nasrallah reveals Hariri murder 'evidence'

By Maha Barada

BBC News, Beirut

The leader of the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah has made public what he says is evidence of Israeli involvement in the murder of former Lebanese PM Rafik Hariri in 2005.

Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah said the evidence included footage from Israeli spy planes of routes used by Mr Hariri.

But he said he would not hand the material to the tribunal investigating Mr Harari's death.

Israel has denied any involvement in Mr Hariri's death.

"I don't claim this is conclusive proof," Sheikh Nasrallah said during his news conference.

But he said it was "indicative" of Israeli involvement in the assassination of Mr Hariri.

He showed footage which he said was from Israeli spy planes, shot at different times from the 1990s to 2005.

He said the film showed many of the routes Mr Hariri frequently used in Beirut and other parts of the country - including the route that Mr Hariri took on the day he died - but did not show areas where Hezbollah had offices or any other presence.

Link

It's a shame he is not handing this alleged evidence over to the UN tribunal, but I understand the mistrust.

Hariri urges 'calm' over tribunal

From the link:

Hariri urges 'calm' over tribunal

Saad al-Hariri, the Lebanese prime minister, has called for calm in Lebanon in the wake of Hezbollah's announcement that some members of the group will be implicated in his father's murder.

Al-Hariri, speaking at a conference of his Future Movement party on Saturday, tried to tamp down fears that Hezbollah's announcement will spark sectarian violence in Lebanon.

"There are those who fear or even hope that the murder case will unleash a Lebanese crisis or confessional strife," al-Hariri said.

"There are attempts... to organise campaigns aimed at sowing confusion and concern in the minds of the Lebanese people. There is no need for this fear... we call for calm."

Link

Who could Hariri be referring to? Remember what that retired Lebanese General said in that video a few pages ago?

In regards to Jumblatt, he is one of the most influential men in Lebanon and is a Druze. During the Lebanese Civil War he changed sides more often than I change socks. He's a wily old fox, and has many different friends in many high places. I do not doubt that when he says he can get weapons for the Lebanese Army, he means it. He always plays the double game, dipping his toes in the waters to guage what side to back that would benefit him and his supporters.

US blocks military aid to Lebanon

From the link:

US blocks military aid to Lebanon

The US Congress has decided to block some 100 million dollars in aid to Lebanon's military over the August 3 border clash between Israeli and Lebanese forces.

Lebanese soldiers clashed with Israeli forces near the southern Lebanese village of Adissyeh last Tuesday when Israeli troops tried to cut down a tree on the Lebanese soil.

The border breach prompted an exchange of fire which killed three Lebanese soldiers and a Lebanese journalist and also left a senior Israeli officer dead.

The chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, Rep. Howard Berman, said on Monday that he put a hold on USD 100 million in military aid to Lebanon's Armed Forces on August 2 — a day prior to the border incident — due to concerns of Hezbollah's possible influence on the army, Associated Press reported.

"The days of ignoring the LAF's (Lebanese Armed Forces') provocations against Israel and protection of Hezbollah in southern Lebanon are over," AFP quoted Rep. Eric Cantor.

The number two Republican in the House of Representatives known for his fierce pro-Israeli attitude, Cantor on Monday warned Lebanon of the consequences of backing the resistance movement against what he called "the forces of democracy, stability and moderation."

Link

You called it right Vitchillo, the pro-Israeli lobby in action, doing Israel's bidding, repeating the same old NeoCon mantra.

What's that you say Obama?

*listens*

Oh that's right, nothing. We don't want to upset the Israelis or disrupt the geopolitical and geostrategical game in Asia.

Survey: Arabs lose faith in Obama

From the link:

Survey: Arabs lose faith in Obama

Arab opinion of the United States and its president Barack Obama has dimmed in the past year, while the popularity of Recep Tayyip Erdogan, the Turkish prime minister, has skyrocketed, according to an annual survey released by the US-based Brookings Institution on Thursday.

The survey found that a majority of Arabs continue to believe that peace between Israel and the Palestinians will never happen and that - unlike in past years - a larger number are identifying as Muslims, rather than as Arabs or citizens of a particular country.

The poll of nearly 4,000 people, done in conjunction with Zogby International,was conducted between June 29 and July 20 in six Middle Eastern countries: Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Morocco, Lebanon, Jordan and the United Arab Emirates (UAE).

Lost opportunity

Of those surveyed, 62 per cent said they had a negative view of Obama, compared with 23 per cent a year ago.

Only 20 per cent said they had a positive view of him, a drop from the 45 per cent who said they felt positively about Obama in 2009.

The precipitous decline in Obama's popularity, though expected by many Middle East analysts and already documented in a Pew survey of global opinion,has naturally captured the headlines,given the president's promise to pursue rapprochement with Arabs and Muslims during his campaign and the early months of his presidency.

Arabs' attitudes toward US foreign policy have turned negative even more rapidly than their opinion of Obama himself.

This year, 63 per cent of those surveyed said they were "discouraged" by the administration's Middle East policy, a massive increase from the 15 per cent who said so in 2009.

The number of Arabs who said they felt "hopeful" shrunk from 51 per cent to 16 per cent.

Obama's June 2009 speech to the Muslim world was meant to mark a definitive break from the antipathy generated by the preceding Bush administration's "war on terror".

Link (for more)

Not surprising. I fear Arabs and Muslims will never trust a US President again. Too many false dawns, too many hopes crushed.

I fear too, that people globally, including of course American voters, will never again have the optimism or belief to feel that to vote for anyone will change anything.

It reminds me of the effect Blair had on the UK and what a vile creature he turned out to be.

But I digress.

[edit on 10-8-2010 by Regensturm]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
It seems that old stories are being rehashed to create headlines about Iran of provocation and create anti-Iranian sentiment.

For example, this story is today doing the rounds:

'Iran digs mass graves for US troops'

From the link:

In a morbid show of bravado, Iran has dug mass graves for US troops should the United States decide to implement Adm. Mike Mullen's contingency plan to strike Iran, a former commander of the Revolutionary Guard said.

Adm. Mullen, the chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, said last week that the US military has a contingency plan to attack Iran, although he thinks a military strike is probably a bad idea.

Gen. Hossein Kan'ani Moghadam, who was the Guard's deputy commander during the 1980s, said graves have been dug in Iran's southwestern Khuzestan province, where Iran buried Iraqi soldiers killed during the ruinous 1980-88 war between the Islamic republic and Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein's regime.

"The mass graves that used to be for burying Saddam's soldiers have now been prepared again for US soldiers, and this is the reason for digging this big number of graves," Moghadam told The Associated Press Television News late Monday. He did not say how many were prepared.

Link

So Iranian provocation, right?

Well, let's look at this following article....does it look familiar?

Iran to ready thousands of graves for enemy soldiers

From the link:

(AFP) – Jun 29, 2008

TEHRAN (AFP) — Iran is to dig 320,000 graves in border districts to allow for the burial of enemy soldiers in the event of any attack on its territory, a top commander said on Sunday.

"In implementation of the Geneva Conventions... the necessary measures are being taken to provide for the burial of enemy soldiers," the Mehr news agency quoted General Mir-Faisal Bagherzadeh as saying.

"We have plans to dig 15,000 to 20,000 graves in each of the border provinces or a total of 320,000," the general said, some of them mass graves if necessary.

Bagherzadeh said Iran was keen to "reduce the suffering of the families of the fallen in any attack against our country... and prevent any repetition of the long and bitter experience of the Vietnam War."

Link

Note the date of the article. June 2008. Two years ago.

Seems to me MSM outlets may be rehashing old stories to add to the current tensions, swap the Revolutionary Guard Commander's name, and bingo, new story. Apparently. Stir up anti-Iranian "how dare they?" sentiment may be the aim here.

Of course Iran may be repeating a "digging of graves" exercise but, to dig the amount of graves they supposedly state takes time and energy.

And it's Ramadan. Muslims are fasting. Digging so many graves for a exercise at this time would be too energy-consuming.

So the story seems a rehash of an old story, for whatever motive you can work out for yourselves and I don't think it's that hard to fathom what.

The war drums are beating, the propaganda bleating.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I knew I remembered this story...using 2008 propaganda in 2010 is ridiculous. They really think we are stupid.

Aoun: Nasrallah's Valuable Evidence Enough to Open New Hariri Murder Probe
That would be interesting.

Israeli Media Stopped Nasrallah's Live Broadcast when Aerial Footage was Aired
If true this is extremely interesting.

Israeli jets violate Lebanese airspace
More reconnaissance.

Turkish fuel sales to Iran drop in July
Turkey applying sanctions?

Iran's gas export increases 50 percent
Good for ya.

'Region will crush Israel if attacked'
And if Israel is crushed, they will nuke you.

Torpedo launcher boats join IRGC fleet
More naval buildup from the Iranians.

Israel launches war game amid tension
The Israeli wargames are confirmed by Debka/JPost/Haaretz/Presstv...

Iran Warns of Tough Reaction to Possible Israeli Invasion of Lebanon
Especially during Ramadan...

Iran increases uranium enrichment - IAEA
They still enrich to 20%..

Iran plans to get rid of 'dirty' dollar, euro reserves (AP)

And any nation with a brain would do that.

Deputy Defense Minister Vilnai predicts no war in Israel this summer (Army Radio)

Please be right.

Turkey FM: Israel must accept responsibility for death of our citizens (Israel Radio)

No way they will do that.

Deputy IDF chief: I pray for boring routine, but in Israel war is a necessity (Army Radio)

Finally admitted it uh?

U.S. State Dept.: Activity by Iran compromises Lebanese sovereignty (Haaretz)

And US activities in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan and a hundred more nations don't compromise their sovereignty? Give me a break.

IDF changes approach to Lebanon army
Will strike back with extreme force to any provocation basically.

[edit on 10-8-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regensturm
It seems that old stories are being rehashed to create headlines about Iran of provocation and create anti-Iranian sentiment.

For example, this story is today doing the rounds:

'Iran digs mass graves for US troops'

From the link:

In a morbid show of bravado, Iran has dug mass graves for US troops should the United States decide to implement Adm. Mike Mullen's contingency plan to strike Iran, a former commander of the Revolutionary Guard said.

Adm. Mullen, the chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, said last week that the US military has a contingency plan to attack Iran, although he thinks a military strike is probably a bad idea.

Gen. Hossein Kan'ani Moghadam, who was the Guard's deputy commander during the 1980s, said graves have been dug in Iran's southwestern Khuzestan province, where Iran buried Iraqi soldiers killed during the ruinous 1980-88 war between the Islamic republic and Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein's regime.

"The mass graves that used to be for burying Saddam's soldiers have now been prepared again for US soldiers, and this is the reason for digging this big number of graves," Moghadam told The Associated Press Television News late Monday. He did not say how many were prepared.

Link

So Iranian provocation, right?

Well, let's look at this following article....does it look familiar?

Iran to ready thousands of graves for enemy soldiers

From the link:

(AFP) – Jun 29, 2008

TEHRAN (AFP) — Iran is to dig 320,000 graves in border districts to allow for the burial of enemy soldiers in the event of any attack on its territory, a top commander said on Sunday.

"In implementation of the Geneva Conventions... the necessary measures are being taken to provide for the burial of enemy soldiers," the Mehr news agency quoted General Mir-Faisal Bagherzadeh as saying.

"We have plans to dig 15,000 to 20,000 graves in each of the border provinces or a total of 320,000," the general said, some of them mass graves if necessary.

Bagherzadeh said Iran was keen to "reduce the suffering of the families of the fallen in any attack against our country... and prevent any repetition of the long and bitter experience of the Vietnam War."

Link

Note the date of the article. June 2008. Two years ago.

Seems to me MSM outlets may be rehashing old stories to add to the current tensions, swap the Revolutionary Guard Commander's name, and bingo, new story. Apparently. Stir up anti-Iranian "how dare they?" sentiment may be the aim here.

Of course Iran may be repeating a "digging of graves" exercise but, to dig the amount of graves they supposedly state takes time and energy.

And it's Ramadan. Muslims are fasting. Digging so many graves for a exercise at this time would be too energy-consuming.

So the story seems a rehash of an old story, for whatever motive you can work out for yourselves and I don't think it's that hard to fathom what.

The war drums are beating, the propaganda bleating.

Hey, nice find there. It will be appreciated if you can make a separate topic for this. more people need to know, thanks

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Thanks RizeorDie. I have posted about how the story seems to be rehashed in the threads that have "Iran digs mass graves" as it's topic, and in a thread that talks about the rehashing of old stories.

Lebanon criticises US aid freeze

From the link:

Lebanon criticises US aid freeze

Lebanon has criticised the US decision to block $100m in aid to the country's military, calling the move "unwarranted" after a US politician alleged that Hezbollah may have links with the army.

"The last thing the US army or any other friend of Lebanon should do is to weaken the effort to build up our national army," Mohamed Chatah, an adviser to Saad Hariri, the Lebanese prime minister, said on Tuesday.

Howard Berman, the chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, said on Monday that he had suspended assistance to Lebanon on August 2.

The aid suspension came one day before last week's cross-border clash between Israeli and Lebanese troops.

The deadly exchange of fire killed two Lebanese soldiers and a journalist, as well as an Israeli officer.

The standoff was sparked when Israeli troops tried to cut down a tree on the border, prompting the Lebanese to fire on them.

Hezbollah, a Shia group which fought a bloody war with Israel in 2006, was not involved in the incident.

Iranian offer

On Monday, Iran, which financially supports Hezbollah, offered to fund the Lebanese army.

Iran's ambassador to Lebanon met with Jean Kahwaj, the Lebanese army chief, and said Tehran was ready to "cooperate with the Lebanese army in any area that would help the military in performing its national role in defending Lebanon".

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, the Iranian president, is expected to visit Lebanon next month and the US is concerned about the Islamic Republic's influence in the region.

Link

It looks like Iran may step in to the void left by the cutting of off US military aid to Lebanon.

Perhaps that was the plan....have the Pro-Israeli lobbyists get US Military aid to Lebanon banned, Iran steps in to the void, Israel screams how Lebanon is armed by Iran, Syria, Lebanon, uses it as a pretext for war on Lebanon, Syria and Iran.

Israel continues to paint the picture that the Gaza Aid Flotilla was asking for it, and that the Turks had what was coming to them:

Flotilla violence was 'expected'

UN launches Gaza flotilla probe

....the panel will include Israeli and Turkish representatives. After all the slurs aimed at Turkey by Israel, that should be fun...

Lebanon continues to break up a possible Israeli spy network:

Lebanon charges Israeli spy suspect

With those spies gone, Israel may launch a war out of sheer frustration of having it's spies snared.

And last, but not least:

Israel razes Negev village again

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Just back on the subject of the "Iran digs mass graves" story, is the idea that one of these rehashed stories, by design or accident by the MSM, could spark something really happening where before it had not happened and was just a rehashed story.

I'll expand on this further.

Let's say that in regards to the rehashed story of "Iran digs mass graves" spouted by the MSM out of agenda or laziness, that we then have another media outlet that tries to find out more about this story.

They contact a Iranian Revolutionary Guards Commander and ask him if it's true the Revolutionary Guard are digging mass graves for US Soldiers in the event of an attack.

That Commander can do one of three things.

A) Tells the journalist he does not take questions from the media.

B) Denies the story, at the risk of the suggestion the Revolutionary Guards are not confident in the event of a US War on Iran

C) Confirm the story as true on his own intiative, and then hastily have his soldiers dig mass graves for when the camera crews arrive to show the Revolutionary Guard are indeed confident in the event of a war, and that indeed, the story is true, and for his morale-boosting exercise, he wins brownie points from his superiors.

In other words, the danger is that a rehashed story, that although false, could through accident or design, could be made true so one side does not lose face or for whatever reason.

This is how wars could start, lies become truths, and truths become lies.

All for 24-hour media consumption, a rehash, a false story, become real.

Perhaps that's the aim, in order to set an agenda, a self-perpetuating series of events that lead to tensions and conflict.

It's frightening to think about, isn't it?

Just think of the possibilities.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Regensturm]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   

LBC reports unprecedented Israeli army readiness on the northern front with Lebanon.

Which is very dangerous.

Now something even more dangerous... it seems the USS Truman strike group have been deployed in the UAE just in front of Iran. Might be there to inspect Iranian ships..or just threaten...or as a prelude to war...or to stop Iran from doing anything when Israel bombs them or attacks Lebanon. The timing is interesting for sure.

“The U.S. carriers in north of the Persian Gulf supported U.S. forces in Iraq in the past... now they have docked at Jebel Ali port (35 kilometers southwest of Dubai)… and will quickly leave the region.”

He also said, “Aircraft Carrier USS Truman is currently at Jebel Ali.”

I don't think they are ``leaving``.

USS Truman posted opposite Hormuz as Iranian threats spiral

To meet increasingly defiant Iranian threats to US regional military forces, Washington has detached the USS Truman carrier from support duty for Afghanistan in the Arabian Sea and reassigned it to Dubai opposite the Gulf of Oman and the Straits of Hormuz with thousands of marines aboard.

I thought it was Debka BS again, but it seems it's true.

Iran hails unity against Israel
Sure won't help calm tensions.

Iran rejects calling for US talks
Sure won't help.

Iran's Mottaki in Syria for talks
Adding to tensions...

'Iran-Iraq trade value to double'
Something the US and Israel sure don't want to see.

Israel bulldozes Muslim graveyard
Ain't that nice... on Ramadan... yeah no provocation there AT ALL.

Head of Russia's Federal Atomic Energy Agency Sergei Kirienko is ready to visit Iran in late August to attend a ceremony to inaugurate the country's first nuclear power plant in the southern city of Bushehr, a senior Russian official said.
LATE AUGUST... meaning the plant could be ready within 2 weeks... meaning a strike must be done now if they want to avoid a nuclear disaster.

Iran Warns of Tough Reaction to Possible Israeli Invasion of Lebanon
More tensions.

Hillary Clinton urges Iran to release all political prisoners (AP)

What about releasing the Guantanamo prisoners? Most of them are INNOCENT.

U.S. revises Israel travel warning, removing references to Eilat (AP)

More Israel influence on US government decisions...

Shimon Peres to depart on Wednesday for visits to Bulgaria, Romania (Haaretz)

Prime Minister Netanyahu to visit Greece next week (Israel Radio)

Hillary Clinton consults with Quartet on Middle East peace process (Israel Radio)

It seems to me they are not readying themselves for war... if all the leaders are busy elsewhere...

IDF to conduct major training exercise in Galilee, Golan Wednesday (Army Radio)

Report: French sources say foreign states tempered clash between IDF, Lebanon army (Haaretz)

Good.

Court to State: Explain why there are no women on Gaza probe panel (Haaretz)

Because the government don't want people that could have emotions on this... that would want peace. Women in general are not as crazy as men.

So now we have... redeployment of a strike group in front of Iran... Israel doing big war exercises on the Israel-Lebanon-Syrian border...Ramaddan starting...tensions at an all time high...

This could get ugly fast if anything happens.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
What's with Romania?????
Sorry if this is O/T, but that country has been popping up in connection with Isreal consistently over the past few months.

As for the rest, wow, this is the best place to find out how things currently are. It's all very not good. But the USS Truman, that oil tanker that was attacked .... it didn't pick anything up on radar before the bang.

Was attacked roughly the same place the US is now parking a carrier group?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by harryhaller
What's with Romania?????
Sorry if this is O/T, but that country has been popping up in connection with Isreal consistently over the past few months.

An article from 1996....

Historical Links in Middle East Draw Thousands of Israelis to Romania

From the link:

Trade: Country is the only former Soviet Bloc nation that did not break ties with Israel after 1967 Mideast War. And Jewish state is home to world's largest expatriate Romanian community of nearly 500,000.

Link

And of course the story that recently made the headlines...

'No survivors' from Romania military helicopter crash

So yes, there does seem to be an Israeli-Romania connection.

Something to keep an eye on.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Regensturm]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
The chance that Israel will launch a military strike against Iran before next July is over 50 percent, according to an article to be published in the upcoming issue of the journal the Atlantic.
Gee ya think?

Brazil signs UN resolution against Iran
Some economic pressure coming from somewhere?

Iran FM: Fuel swap option still on table
Of course no one talks about that.

Obama Approval Rating Revisits Rock Bottom Despite Positive Media Spin
Now that's dangerous. Approval ratings surged to 90%+ when 9/11 happened and went from 56 to 72% when he invaded Iraq....

Russia’s LUKOIL resumes gasoline supply to Iran -trade
Russia has finally left the sanctions group.

Assad, Mottaki Stress Support for Lebanon against Israeli Aggression
Well good for ya.

Israel's Army to Deal 'Firmly' with Lebanese Army

Now for the biggest lie of the day :

Crowley: U.S. places similar conditions on Israel for aid as it does on Lebanon (Haaretz)

Biggest crock of BS I've heard in quite a while. They really think we are idiots don't they?

Turkey's main gasoline exporter: Iran more important than U.S. ties (Ch. 2)

Well Turkey can't put a pipeline under the ocean...

Iran opposition: Sanctions will only strengthen the ayatollahs (Ch. 10)

That's the goal dummies. So they stay in power and the US government can claim spreading democracy and wage war.

Netanyahu issues Ramadan greeting to Israel's Muslim citizens (Haaretz)

Now that's ironic since Muslims are considered as third grade citizens in Israel.

U.S. envoy hopeful Iraq will form government soon (AP)

Yeah since they've met only one time since March... great government...

UN seeks $459 million in emergency aid to Pakistan (DPA)

I know they are in trouble because of a big natural catastrophe but come on now. The Pakistani government will steal the money and use it to fund Talibans and it's army. Send aid instead.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
www.haaretz.com... 'The morning after the attack on Iran'

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Great updates as always Vitchillo.

Originally posted by Nomad451
www.haaretz.com... 'The morning after the attack on Iran'

I have to say that is one of the most intelligent articles I have seen printed by Haaretz.

Basically, the article states how Israel's nuclear policy does not work because it does not stop retaliation on it's territory, and that it only encourages other nations to have a nuclear policy.

It also states how Israel could be isolated and embargos placed on it if it attacks Iran.

That's the sort of articles Israelis should be reading, in my opinion.

Thanks for posting Nomad451.

I believe that if there is to be an attack on Iran, and I think we are agreed the possibility is very high as we have discussed on this thread, I think that an Israeli strike on Iran would come sooner than a US-led strike. That's the feeling I get from what is happening in the region.

For the US, the issue of Iran is revanchism. Reclaiming lost imperial territory lost by the overthrow of the Shah. It's about the oil. It's about the geopolitical and geostrategical positioning in central Asia, and the world at large, it's 'The Great Game.'

For Israel, it's about maintaining dominance in The Middle East, so it can do as it please, and expand as it please, and kill as it please without challenge. Iran threatens to become, and is becoming, an influential counterweight in the region that could put the brakes on Israeli ambitions.

As the US supports Israel to the hilt, their interests and ambitions therefore intertwine and become more or less one.

Obama's popularity rating is dangerous. One thing I have always feared about Obama is that he will be so unpopular and seen to be so weak in character that he may launch a war just to prove how big and powerful he is and win credibility amongst those who wish to see more war in the world, those in the general public, and those behind the scenes.

Lebanon minister says US can keep 'conditional' aid

From the link:

Lebanon minister says US can keep 'conditional' aid

Lebanon's Defence Minister, Elias Murr, has said he will reject US military aid if it comes with a condition that any weapons are not used against Israel.

"Those who want to help the army on the condition that it does not protect its territory, people and border... should keep their money," Mr Murr said.

He was responding after the US House of Representatives blocked $100m of aid.

It came a day before last week's clash on the Lebanon-Israel border which left three soldiers and a journalist dead.

Iran and Syria, supporters of the Lebanese Shia Islamist Hezbollah movement, have since reaffirmed their support for the Lebanese army.

Link

Lebanon knows that there's only one neigbour who would attack them and who they would have to use their weapons on at this time.

I mean seriously, are the US administration going to say "Here, have some M-16's and APCs, but if the Israelis attack and start bombing and killing you all, would you be good enough to lock them away and not use them?"

Lebanon: "But they're the only ones who will attack us! We'll be fighting for our lives!"

US administration: "Gee, well, I guess that's too bad."

Ridiculous.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by Regensturm]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Israel needs green light from US to assault Iran – Chossudovsky (Includes Video)

From the link:

Israel needs green light from US to assault Iran – Chossudovsky

Published 05 August, 2010, 16:55

Edited 06 August, 2010, 06:40

A group of former CIA and military officials have written to President Obama to say they believe Israel is preparing to attack Iran this month.

The group explained that Israel wants to launch a war suddenly, and make it politically untenable for Obama to do anything other than offer full US military support.

Michel Chossudovsky from the Canadian Centre for Research on Globalization thinks that, in reality, Israel would need Washington's backing first.

“It is technically impossible, from a military standpoint, for Israel to actually launch a war on Iran without the green light from the US. This is not strictly an Israeli military project. The US from the mid-1990s in fact has indicated Iran as a possible target,” Chossudovsky evaluated.

He acknowledged that the joint program of the US, NATO and Israel to attack Iran was formed sometime in 2004 at the time of invasion in Iraq.

Chossudovsky believes that the threats are real and implications are far reaching.

“If that war were launched within the next few months, a whole region would flare up from the Eastern Mediterranean right through to the Chinese border.”

Link

Michel Chossudovsky from the Canadian Centre for Research on Globalization puts forth the view that any Israeli attack would have to seek a green light from the US first, implying that the US's militaryy project on Iran would not like to be interrupted by Israel's designs on Iran. In other words, both the US and Israel have designs on Iran, but which differ. Whereas for the US it's about reclaiming lost geopolitical and geostrategical positioning and reclaiming Iranian energy resources, for Israel it's about maintaining dominance in the region and not having any rivals.

Of course, the US backs Israel, but whereas Israel would like to bomb Iran into submission, the US has it's own plan where it would like to bomb Iran into submission and seize it's energy resources and have Iran as a puppet state once more.

An Israeli analyst in the same link meanwhile, states that Israel would never attack Iran by itself.

Perhaps a hint to Iran by Israel that if Israel attacks, it will not attack without the help of the US, so if Iran retaliates, it would have to retaliate on Israeli and US interests.

Israel may say after the attack on Iran something akin to "Hey Iran, look who supported us attacking you! The US was right behind us!"

Iran retaliates against Israel and the US, Israel and the US gets what it wants: the US, having been attacked (US military bases perhaps) by an Iranian retaliation, is given a pretext for war, and responds by finishing the bombing of Iran, leaving off where Israel began.

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join