It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do Pirates do with Millions of Dollars?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Largest ransom ever paid to Somali pirates!

The largest ransom ever paid to Somali pirates has been dropped onto the deck of a Greek-flagged oil tanker carrying two million barrels of oil.

The ransom delivered on Sunday is believed to be between $5.5m and $7m, according to unnamed sources interviewed by the Reuters news agency.

With 28 crew members on board, the Maran Centaurus oil tanker was captured in November as it was crossing the Indian Ocean, northeast of the Seychelles islands.

The tanker was sailing from Kuwait to the United States.

In 2008, pirates hijacked the Saudi-owned Sirius Star. They eventually released the ship for a reported $3m ransom.

So to ask and answer the question again: What do pirates do with millions of dollars?

I guess become better pirates.

EDIT: Oh, and the dude above has a nice watch.

:shk:

[edit on 17-1-2010 by loam]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
The same thing, I'd guess, they have been doing for hundreds of years with it.

Spending it.

What would any other criminal group do with money?

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Hand it to their masters ?

New money-laundering ploy ?

Hand it over and collect their pay for furthering 'terrorism' ?

Exchange it for Israeli armaments ?

[edit on 17-1-2010 by Dock9]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Buy weapons from American comapnies so they can shoot more Americans and buy lavish American toys and American TV so they can act like bad guys like in the American Movies.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Some Pirates like to set up a self-directed Roth IRA so they can invest in what they choose, and in the event that a government exists in the future to tax them, the Roth will be nontaxable income. Smart really. Those that went this route didn't lose their shirts in '08.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Grayelf2009

Don't forget that it's so they can wear American jeans. Jeans is where it's at, other than bananas. Jeans, oil and bananas.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
The majority of the money goes to the leaders who run the gang. They then take a share and use the rest to fund other activities and to buy equipment and recruit new pirates. The percentage they'll have to pay to money launderers will probably take up a significant share.

The pirates themselves get a small share which is enough to make it worth while but not enough to make them rich unless they save it.

These gangs are probably ran by someone close to the government. Ensuring that they can operate with out impunity.

By the time you take all this in to account. Mr big will probably end up with around $300,000 of a million dollar ransom. The rest will get lost a long the chain.

Thats what i think anyway.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

It's funny this subject should come up. I just posted this information in the *Pictures of Pollution in China* thread the other day.

I read that one of the reasons the Somali pirates started their actions was due to illegal fishing and dumping of industrial, medical and even suspected nuclear waste off their coasts.

But the governments of the countries that are involved in illegal actions control the media and make it seem like the Somalians are in the wrong!

[Analysis: Somalia Piracy Began in Response to Illegal Fishing and Toxic Dumping by Western Ships off Somali Coast

THE TWO PIRACIES IN SOMALIA: WHY THE WORLD IGNORES THE OTHER?

In September 1995, leaders of all the Somali political factions of the day (12 of them) and two major Somali NGO Networks jointly wrote to the UN Secretary General, Dr Boutros Boutros Ghali, with copies to the EU, Arab League, OIC, OAU and to other involved parties, detailing the illegal fishing and hazardous material dumping crises in the Somali sea waters and requesting the UN to set up a body to manage and protect these waterways. They pointed out that since ICAO already manages the Somali airspace, so could IMO or a newly created organization run Somalia’s seas until an effective Somali national government is able to take control of it. Again, from 1998 to 2006, consecutive Ministers of Fisheries of Puntland State of Somalia have repeatedly appealed to the international community: UN, EC, African Union, Arab League and to individual nations, advising the members states of these organizations to help keep poaching vessels and crews from their countries out of the Somali waters. The Ministers also complained of oil spills, toxic and nuclear waste dumping in the Somali coast.

Somali fishermen in various regions of the country also complained to the international community about the illegal foreign fishing, stealing the livelihoods of poor fishermen, waste dumping and other ecological disasters, including the indiscriminate use of all prohibited methods of fishing: drift nets, under water explosives, killing all “endangered species” like sea-turtles, orca, sharks, baby whales, etc. as well as destroying reef, biomass and vital fish habitats in the sea (IRIN of March 9, 2006). Fishermen in Somalia have appealed to the United Nations and the international community to help them rid the country's shores of foreign ships engaged in illegal fishing. United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) estimated 700 foreign-owned vessels were engaged in unlicensed fishing in Somali waters in 2005. However, FAO said it was "impossible to monitor their fishery production in general, let alone the state of the fishery resources they are exploiting….there is also strong suspicion of illegal dumping of industrial and nuclear wastes along the Somali coast", IRIN 09/03/06.

This stuff has been going on at least since the early 1990's.

As far as what they are doing with the money?

Maybe they are using it to help themselves combat illegal fishing and waste dumping in their waters, since no one else will help them.

ps Not saying it's right, but.............what else can they do?

God Bless

sezsue

[edit on 17-1-2010 by sezsue]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
AAARRrrrrrrrr. me would buy as much rum as me ship could haul AArrrrr, whatduya think, Buy weapons and more weapons..

[edit on 17-1-2010 by Lil Drummerboy]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
So to ask and answer the question again: What do pirates do with millions of dollars?

Who knows?

On an unrelated topic, I hear sales of eye-patches, peg legs and parrots have gone through the roof. Strangely most of those sales have been paid for in gold

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by sezsue

It's funny this subject should come up. I just posted this information in the *Pictures of Pollution in China* thread the other day.

Maybe they are using it to help themselves combat illegal fishing and waste dumping in their waters, since no one else will help them.

God Bless

sezsue

No offense, but this was rubbish the first time you posted it as well, but I decided not to reply the first time.

Piracy has been a part of this area for hundreds of years, and these days (at least) it's the one historically stable enterprise they have. Look at how many governments they have had in the past decade or two.

They are ultra violent, not educated almost at all, have weapons, and no prospects, but then again it hasn't been different for a long time.

This is the excuse du jour for their barbarism, nothing more. I'd suggest that if countries are fishing the area and dumping, it is more likely a punishment than a cause.

[edit on 17-1-2010 by KrazyJethro]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Personally, I'd like to know what Wall Street did with 700 billion of taxpayer cash last year, but hey, that's just me.

More generally, why does anyone need a hundred million or a billion dollars? I can see wanting enough not to have to work or worry about money, so you could laze around and/or pursue your own interests. That makes sense (even if the reality shows it doesn't generally make people as happy as they thought...run a search on sad stories of lottery winners). But if you have a 8-, 9-, or 10-figure number in the bank, why on earth would you scramble to get more?

Actually, although I still find it baffling, I do know a few of the answer(s):

-People who make that much money are often compulsively driven by some inner hunger, compulsion, or need, and they can't ever turn it off. It doesn't matter how much they make.

-Once you've made your pile, you've got to always keep an eye out to make sure you don't lose it. Simply managing a vast amount of money takes time and effort, and forward momentum seems like the only way to brace against losses and hedge against risks.

-It never feels as good as they think it does...happiness is always over the next hill..."if I only had ten times as much as I do now, THEN I'd be happy." Does a cigarette smoker ever smoke "enough" ciggies? Does a billioniare ever have "enough" money?

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro

God Bless

sezsue

No offense, but this was rubbish the first time you posted it as well, but I decided not to reply the first time.

Piracy has been a part of this area for hundreds of years, and these days (at least) it's the one historically stable enterprise they have. Look at how many governments they have had in the past decade or two.

They are ultra violent, not educated almost at all, have weapons, and no prospects, but then again it hasn't been different for a long time.

This is the excuse du jour for their barbarism, nothing more. I'd suggest that if countries are fishing the area and dumping, it is more likely a punishment than a cause.

[edit on 17-1-2010 by KrazyJethro]

So......you're saying it's ok for other countries to *punish* them by stealing their resources, and dump illegal waste, for being undereducated, and having weapons, and no prospects?

Really????? LOL!!!!!

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Pirating is a code and a way of life.

Pirates love to gamble and play games of chance. They will use much of this money wagering one another in various games of chance.

Pirates love wine, women and song. They will spend much of their money having a good time, chasing women, and enjoying the entertainment and leisure time having a lot of money allows.

This is going to be hard for some, maybe even most of you to understand but they will actually spend the money really enjoying life!

When they spend it all they will come back and get some more!

Lucky bastards!

Aye, ‘tis a pirate’s life for me!

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
The pirates appear to be investing heavily in land. That's one way to launder a lot of money.

Nairobi , Kenya -- Property prices in Nairobi are soaring, and Somali pirates are getting the blame.

The hike in real estate prices in the Kenyan capital has prompted a public outcry and a government investigation this month into property owned by foreigners. The investigation follows allegations that millions of dollars in ransom money paid to Somali pirates are being invested in Kenya, Somalia's southern neighbor and East Africa's largest economy.

Somali pirates blamed for rising land costs

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

So......you're saying it's ok for other countries to *punish* them by stealing their resources, and dump illegal waste, for being undereducated, and having weapons, and no prospects?

Really????? LOL!!!!!

Did I say that? No, so please don't read into words that aren't there.

I was simply telling you more about the situation that extends well beyond the scope you have framed it.

Somalia is one of, if not the most, dangerous places on Earth.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Hi!

Buy more stock in American companies................

Buy a seat on "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader"................

Buy a job as "Host" on WWE.....................

or, how about....................

Buy a place in the NWO

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by KrazyJethro

I'm not trying to start something, but maybe you should read your words again, then.

I realize there is more to the scope of the problem, but they have been complaining about this particular problem for years. Follow the money to find the real culprits. Desperate people sometimes have to take desperate measures.

Part of the problem in Somalia is interference by outside forces; once again,
Western governments wanting leaders more in tune with their agendas.

But, Western governments don't have the right to interfere when the wishes of the citizens of a country, differ from the agenda of an elite group who stand to profit from putting their patsy in power.

Anything we hear in the media, supports an agenda, again, we don't hear both sides of the story.

Respectfully speaking, maybe you should read the following article before you JUDGE something you may only know one side of.

The Civil War In Somalia

The Party Line

As with most major events, the single viewpoint shared by the dominant media was misleading.

The dominant media's angle was that Somalia's troubles were mostly the fault of the bandit-like warlord Mohamed Farah Aideed. The ever-helpful United Nations stepped in for famine relief, and ended up defending themselves from the bad guy Aideed.

A less biased observer would point out that Aideed's leadership had more claims to legitimacy than his rivals', but he was opposed by Western governments, because they felt someone else was better for their own interests. Aideed is not a saint; again, this is not about good guy and bad guys. When the U.N. stepped in, it committed mass violations of Somalis' rights, including trying to disarm them and shutting down free speech.

Somalia seems to be what Western governments helped to create.

I don't understand why anyone who frequents ATS would take the view that a person or country who the MEDIA says is in the wrong, IS. Why would we take it at face value without checking further into it?

I mean, aren't we increasingly seeing the lies for what they are?

Why would anyone think this is a new thing that just started occurring?

As the Bible says in Ecclesiastics, "There is nothing new under the sun..."

God Bless

sezsue

[edit on 18-1-2010 by sezsue]

top topics

join