It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is ATS politically motivated?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Does anybody know?..

If ATS is politically motivated in one direction or the other?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Jedi411

No, we're not. Staff are from all over the world. Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, Norwegians, South Africans and many other countries make up the staff of ATS.

They represent ALL types of governments and we often disagree among each other about politics.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Jedi411

I have been around here for quite some time now.

I think there are ample nuts on all points of the spectrum represented here.

[edit on 17-1-2010 by loam]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I took his question to include membership.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jedi411
Does anybody know?..

If ATS is politically motivated in one direction or the other?

Thanks in advance.

Many posters are politcally motivated (in different directions). Others, not so much. Some say there will be an onslaught of attention soon to help certain posters overcome their "crippled epistomolgies". Such attention and participation would qualify as politically motivated, in my opinion.

Then there are those who like to ride the dull hobbyhorse of partisan politics....the endless punch-and-judy show of left versus right. The boring circular arguments of ideology that become shouting matches and echo chambers, and where nobody convinces anyone of anything because all participants come with closed minds. Seeing as there are already eight quintillion internet threads along the same time, its mind-boggling to me that people choose to bring such stuff here, but I suppose that's the price of free speech. And its easily enough ignored.

I see you registered very recently. Welcome to ATS, and best wishes.

[edit on 1/17/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

No. Not really. It was directed at staff alone.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Absolutely not.
As was previously mentioned, we as a staff come in all shapes and forms, genders, backgrounds, religious and non religious beliefs and political opinions.

You can not find a more diverse group that works as a team - even if we defer on many popular topics.

[edit on January 17th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

link   
reply to post by loam

...no no...your response is still very much valid...

...there's most certainly ample enough nuts on either side of the political/social spectrum amongst the Staff as well...

...and more than a few of us who are just nuts...

link   
reply to post by masqua

Pfff ... you are well known for pimpin and shillin the following agenda!

Government mandated guaranteed weekly orgasms?

Damn it masqua ... I'm a man not a machine!

[edit on 17 Jan 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure Bill is part of an inter galactic federation of humans. The mods probably worship him as their God and political savior.

Ohh Bill! Why won't you run for POTUS??

On a serious note, I think that any of their business decisions, or decisions regarding the way forward for the website have anything to do with their political affiliations.

If so, then they are to destroy the current system and return it to the proper one, in which case I am all for.

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
From the T&C:

6b) Neutrality: The Above Network, LLC provides a forum for discussing a wide variety of subjects, but does not endorse any particular theory, opinion, viewpoint or position on any topic. Furthermore, though operating costs are supported by advertising and promotional revenue, The Above Network, LLC does not officially endorse or promote any commercial product or service.

ATS is a user based site. ATS in and of itself is neutral.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by masqua

As I think you should: After all, Staff are members too! As Masqua said, Our volunteer staff comes from all over the world, and we each have our own individual political beliefs.

The staff is just the same as any other group of people. We are all going to have our own beliefs, morals and standards, and you have every right in the world to express them.

So never be afraid to state your beliefs no matter what. ATS is a safe environment for discussion of all kinds of subjects, free from ridicule for simply sharing your ideas and beliefs

[edit on 17-1-2010 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
If searching for TRUTH is a Politically Motivated Act , then yes . .....

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I don't think ATS in general is politically biased, but I have been harassed through U2U by one mod for differing political views from him. There's a whole mix of admins and mods here. I think it's a pretty level playing field.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by alien

Originally posted by alien
...no no...your response is still very much valid...

...there's most certainly ample enough nuts on either side of the political/social spectrum amongst the Staff as well...

...and more than a few of us who are just nuts...

WOOT for NUTS!!!!!!!

Hey! If you could choose to be a nut, which nut would you be???

[edit on 17-1-2010 by loam]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by masqua

As I think you should: After all, Staff are members too! As Masqua said, Our volunteer staff comes from all over the world, and we each have our own individual political beliefs.

The staff is just the same as any other group of people. We are all going to have our own beliefs, morals and standards, and you have every right in the world to express them.

So never be afraid to state your beliefs no matter what. ATS is a safe environment for discussion of all kinds of subjects, free from ridicule for simply sharing your ideas and beliefs

I agree with everything...sept for this:

Now mind you the cool people like me never get laughed at on here..
But I have seen my fare share of ridicule and just straight up finger pointing at folks for on various boards for various topics.

I'm not saying you all let it happen, I am just saying it happens in some boards more than others. Don't fret though, no skin off my back

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
As an FSME on ATS,I consider myself half-staff (tee hee, giggle) and I am sad to announce that I am politically motivated....

...usually to puke.

Cuhail

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Now mind you the cool people like me never get laughed at on here..
But I have seen my fare share of ridicule and just straight up finger pointing at folks for on various boards for various topics.

I'm not saying you all let it happen, I am just saying it happens in some boards more than others. Don't fret though, no skin off my back

~Keeper

No I do understand what you mean. Allow me to re word a bit for clarification. The idea of this site is to be able to post your own personal beliefs and ideas with out fear of ridicule. And just like anywhere else in the world there will be people who disagree with you.

Now, the staff is here, to make sure that if some one breaks the rules, the appropriate action is taken to rectify the issue; and there is no need to worry that maybe the actions we take are politically motivated because they are not.

As I said, the ATS staff is a very diverse people with very diverse beliefs. No action that is taken here is politically, religiously or even morally motivated. The only motivation we use is the T&C. If it is against the T&C then we take the appropriate action. If not, then it stands. You WILL have many people disagree with you, but it is not allowed that they attack you rather than simply disagree civilly.

So when I say that you can post free from ridicule ( Or prejudice) I was referring more to the staff of ATS. But the idea is to work towards providing a safe environment where all types of people can have an intelligent and civil discussion free from personal attacks. Yes, they happen sometimes, but I think the Staff does a great job of fixing the issue once it occurs... Of course, that is just my opinion as an individual.

Does that make sense? I apologize for any confusion there.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
can't say i've noticed any particular political bias from the mods.

and as they come from all over ... most of us don't even know the political make-up of each of their countries.

just for fun though ... lets say they're all from the states. what percentage of the mods would be democrats? and what percentage would be republicans or otherwise?

i reckon 80% dems and 20 or less republicans.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Ohh I know what you meant, just pullin' your chain a little bit gimme

Thanks for the explanation however, it's always nice to see you guys making sure we understand where you stand and how you operate.

~Keeper

top topics

<<   2 >>

join