It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Riken's Next Generation Supercomputer to be finished in 2012

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Yes, this is correct. The supercomputer of all supercomputers will be finish by 2012. It will help Education and work, but where is the privacy???? I don't like it! How about you! You will pay for computer service like you pay for water. No need for hard drives and disk drives. As a matter of fact no need for the entire computer just a screen, a keyboard and a mouse.

Link 1

Link 2

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
The Birth of Skynet here ? .........Perish the Thought ! .....................

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Awesome! I wonder what they will use it for!

Some scientists linked PS3's together and made a super computer using all of them!

Also, hope you weren't going for a 2012 connection here. It's just a year and a goal date for this particular company's project.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jedi411

Also, hope you weren't going for a 2012 connection here. It's just a year and a goal date for this particular company's project.

Oh no i wasn't, HAHA i was just talking about the Riken SuperCPU

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
What you are talking about sounds like 'Cloud Computing'. Right now, 71% of Japanese already are using it, and Bill Gates is frantic about his monopoly quickly ending. But the poor in places like Senegal, or Haiti, could afford just a screen and keyboard. And you don't have to buy any programs or virus protection stuff. You don't have to upgrade every year to the greedy Microsofts latest stuff that just happens to be incompatible with all of LAST years hardware. It is called FREE ENTERPRISE and CAPITOLISM driving these companies bankrupt.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Yes, Im talking about it hitting the US in 2012 though! Oh and this is a stock market dream so anyone trying to make stock money, this is it!

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jedi411
Awesome! I wonder what they will use it for!

I personally think it would be most useful for data mining.

That is if I were them.

So I bet they will replace the current bloc aging supercomputer network. If only I had the money the NSA has so I could score me one of these bad boys.

I would love to see it in person!

(Not saying I agree with the act of spying on Americans).
I am just really interested in new computer tech developments.

Good post!

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I think the biggest high-point for companies.. of this cloud-computing over the current standard... is the eventual phasing-out of private storage media...
and the consecutive end of pirated data.
if you can't download something to a storage medium by any means.. then you can't steal movies/music/software.

if it's all sreamed on a high-bandwidth web 2.0, and web 1.0 gets shut down slowly.. and becomes slower and slower.. with more ISPs offering cloud web 2.0 ... it will eventually phase till everyone has online storage and online computing.. and everything is streamed.. TV , your music collection... movies... you wont be able to store it.... so you can't steal it.. or at least in essence.. far down the road after the changeover is complete.. you won't be able to.
...hypothetically ...

//shrug//

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I hate this idea...

God willing this will not be the way ahead.

I 'll rather move to the village and plant non modified tomatoes...

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
This is the future whether we want it or not! Think about it though, we have no privacy but the possibilities are infinite! Its still new now but if anyone can remember using dos before windows??? My god look how far we've come!

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by mrno1

COVERING A DISTANCE DOESN T NECESARILY MEAN YOU WENT FORWARD IF YOU ARE MOVING IN CIRCLES

Lack of technology is the least of our problems and a non issue...

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Even if people used a super computer like that to connect a dummy terminal to for this "cloud computing" that doesn't mean everyone would have to. Even the terminals would still have to run some kind of internal GUI and OS to at least do the basics like boot and run the terminal interface and connect to the super computer.
The majority of computing and applications may be stored on the super server/computer but the people would still need the bare bones to connect to it.
It would be no different than today where large networked systems run their own GUI interface/OS and connect to the server to run the applications and safe/load data. Or using a super computer to do scientific calculations that take time while the terminal user can be doing other local processes.
I don't see how this would change the future. It will make for much faster mathematical computing which could help science in general.
As far as peoples concerns with us all one day being plugged into cloud computing may I present to you this really cool new thing called.... The Internet
Ooooooooooh haha
I mean c'mon guys, not like this new super computer is going to come alive and eat humans.

top topics

join