It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$Two Thousand Dollars$ to spend on supplies -

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
My family and I are preparing to spend two-thousand dollars on supplies such as guns, ammo, water filtration system, generator, and long term food.

If you had 2K at your disposal to spend on survival supplies in a sitx scenario, what would exactly would be your initial purchases?

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I wouldn't ask for too many more ideas, because, judging from your list, your $2,000 is about spent.

Now, if you want to send your money to me, I'll be sure to mail you back a super-duper hi tech survival package that will even dice your veggies.

That's all I got. Peace and good luck.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
My priorities would be water filter (katadyn hiker $80)
and firearm - Ruger 10/22 - .22cal semi-auto (great for hunting small game) or for defense against humans either a 12 ga. shotgun ($400) or an AK47 ($550 and up).

My question is for Sitx would you plan on staying at home or bugging out?

I have plenty of suggestions but it really depends on your plans, how many you are providing for and what ages/ skills they have.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Glad we're off to a good start. If I may, what kind of water filtration system and generator would you recoment? We have a small creek that runs behind the property, so we constantly have somewhat of a supply.

And yes, I would appreciate the survival package that you mentioned.

Thank you for the words.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
A box of tooth brushes, big box of hydrogen peroxide, bbox of toilet paper, sharpening stone, lots of seeds to grow food, solar panels, windmills for electric, guns unregistered, ammo, more ammo. Non numismatic silver dimes, lots. Wine and beer. Salt. BIG box of chocolate!
And get a good library of books; survival, natural health, guns, Federalist Papers, encyclopedia set, some fiction, educational books for teaching kids, bunch of blank notebooks and pens. Any electronic stuff should be protected against NEMP, probably buried. A few fire extinguishers. Can openers, maybe fishing or hunting stuff. Interesting times...

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Ask the Animals,
We would like to stay at home, we have 1 acre, garden and the creek. But as we all know, if you gotta go, you gotta go.
I will be providing for myself, wife and 2 1/2 year old. Currently we have a large dog, protective.
We have basic construction, cooking, gardening, hunting skills. Not like the pros but more than the norm.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
(just throwing this out there)

$800 on .40 cal Sig Sauer & approx 500 rounds ammo.
$500 on water filtration system & 50 extra gallons of drinking water.
$200 on emergency medical supplies.
$500 on MREs.
_______
$2000

Forget the generator, draws attention and requires fuel.

You're going to need alternative ways to start a fire too.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Gregarious...
You said "guns unregistered, ammo, more ammo. Non numismatic silver ". May I ask why unregistered (i think i know) and what is no numismatic silver?
Thanks!

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Signal,
I understand the trepidation about a loud generator, but what about a small electric generator for possible heating or cooking?

11:11

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by eleven:eleven

small & cheap I guess is okay but you're still going to run out of fuel. You can cook without electricity. Maybe a Coleman camping stove & a bunch of fuel for that? I'm just saying I think if TSHTF electricity will be a luxury.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by eleven:eleven
My family and I are preparing to spend two-thousand dollars on supplies such as guns, ammo, water filtration system, generator, and long term food.

If you had 2K at your disposal to spend on survival supplies in a sitx scenario, what would exactly would be your initial purchases?

Electricity isn't going to be your biggest problem if it is long term survival. If it is for short term, go ahead and get it. We had an ice storm where I lived that knocked of power for nearly two weeks. Generators are good for those situations.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Well said Signal and Phlynx. I was under the assumptino that for sitx, a generator would be a wise investment. They are expensive and I can begin thinking how to spend the money in other areas.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Here is the ultimate water filter. It's good for 39,000 gallons, which for a family of four would last 26 years. I'm putting a link here for the cheapest one on the net. Cost $178.76 + shipping

www.smartwareetc.com...

The cost for me sharing this info is $179 flat

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
CB radios, police scanner, shortwave radio - all with one hell of antennae. Communication is the key to knowing what is happening all around you. Of course your normal set of necessary items, but i had a situation where the power died on me and i of course thought "THIS IS IT!!!"
but it turned out to be a drunk who drove into a transformer.... my scanner worked flawlessly

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
And thank you 12 Gauge. Love your pic AND quote by the way. If you got more words, by all means be my guest sir.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Sounds like your bugging in...by wanting a generator...

If thats the case it depends on how creative, you can be.
My self get a few deep cycle marine batteries...say 6 or so mayybe you could get a multi buy discount, a small generator to charge the batteries and a few 1500 watt inverters.
Reason being that you can charge the batteries and use the inverters if the generator ever give out, just by hooking a few fan blades to old car altornators...box fan blades, cieling fan blades etc...etc wind power to charge batteries, could also work if your near a streem..waterwheel type thing...

Gun yes a ruger 10/22 and 5000 rnds give or take.

Take a good survey of your direct area, is hunting an option, are there neighbors and how close are they...they will most likely be your worst enemy if they are starving/not prepared and realize you are!

Never hurts to keep a 50# bag O rice, beans, and 5 gallon bucket of powdered milk...yeah I know yuck..but....it don't go bad!

Do you own knives, skinners, utility, maybe an axe of some sort, mostly for skinning"deer breast" but is not always needed, just like an axe around myself..many purposes.

I would not try to spend $2000 on decided items, but rather more along the line of doing it over time, while thinking about your current items/inventory, and shelflife wear caracteristics, is the item you have and are counting on going to last?
I don't like anything being a single dependant item, such as a generator, "just an example" it can and will break or run out of fuel sometime.
Just leave yourself with as many options and paths to the same outcome "electricity" as you can with out a single item killing many others!

Myself I plan on no power, besides a few car batteries, and my car alternator charging method with either wind and/or water....I really would not need electricity.

If your just hellbent on spending 2k I dunno, maybe a panic/storage type room, underground, or maybe under your house, again I know little facts here, about your situation, neighbors, city, urban, many things to consider!

Knowledge would be your best bet, and thinking real hard about as many factors as you can, before running out and buying the latest coolest looking multi-tool, flashlight, radio, scanner, batteries and more batteries.

A ruger 10/22 is a given this should be owned by everyone, the rest is really a personal decision, as I have no way to know your mechanical ability or engineering background.

Anyways you get the idea, that I'm trying to present.
Search yourself and do it honestly, and you will know what you need to get.

link   
reply to post by eleven:eleven

Non-hybrid vegetable seeds
Goat for milk/meat
Quality 2 man tent
Path alerts (uses blank 12 ga shells)
Survival books; Edible wild plants, first aid, survival skills
Bulk food (not sure of what but I do know it;s cheaper to buy from say Costco and package them yourself rather than buying anything from an online distributor)
A case of MRE's
Oil lamps and oil
2 LED flashlights
Packable first aid kit
rain ponchos/shelter halves
Windproof lighters
multitool
2 quality hunting knives 3-5" blades
Hiking boots (prefereably waterproof)
Good warm socks (wool or synthetics, NO COTTON)
HUnting headnets *for skeeters!

i would recommend having 2 firearms, one being a pistol for concealed carry. kel-tec makes very good pistols at inexpensive prices if you can find them!
Fireams will do you little good if you're not familiar with them - be sure to get some practice with them before they are needed.
I have my entire Bug out bag contents (and suppliers) listed in this thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...
feel free to U2u me if you have questions, Good luck

link   
Water filtration is like the number one purchase for me when I start an emergency survival kit. I'm currently in debt so I need to pay that off first but I will be preparing even if nothing was to occur. It's just a smart thing to do. People who have money now have no excuse. For us who live below the poverty line we got some problems. Good luck to the OP in his quest.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
maddogron,
Damn drunk drivers....I got you on the scanner and CB. Follow up....would it be worth getting a home radio system? I can't remember the common name used...

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
asktheanimals,
My wife and I had discussed purchasing a pig of some sort, with the idea tha when SHTF, we'd have a luao. If you could say yes to goat meat, what about a small chicken coop to top it off? We have been interested in the idea of having animals around for survival. I'd like to hear your thoughts. We have approx 1 acre fenced in that could be allocated for animals. Where we have another 1/2 acre used for gardening and firewood.

11:11

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join