It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Avatar passes Star Wars as third highest grossing film

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Avatar passes Star Wars as third highest grossing film

www.teleg raph.co.uk

The sci-fi saga raised its domestic total to $491.8 million this weekend.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Now i know some people will be thinkin why post this? The reason being the fact that they were able to make that $491.8 million they would need to what?
Ans. Have enough people to watch the film.
And the reason go to watch a particular film is why?
Because that person wants to, or he or she believes or likes that kind of stuff.
You wouldnt go and watch a crap film that youre not interested in would you.?
SO gets me to the point
Wouldnt, judjing by the figures give you as a government the indication as to wether the time is right to disclose?
Its wierd all the recent films, district 9, 2012, planet 51, Avatar ........ Who knows its just a thought id thought id put out there what are your views?

www.teleg raph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
it's no 2 internationally now for all time box office hit... just breached 1.5 Billion total world wide, still running strong still no 1 at box office this past weekend and only 300 mil to go to bust Titanic.

It's most assuredly going to be the no 1 film of all time... deservedly so imho

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
it's no 2 internationally now for all time box office hit... just breached 1.5 Billion total world wide, still running strong still no 1 at box office this past weekend and only 300 mil to go to bust Titanic.

It's most assuredly going to be the no 1 film of all time... deservedly so imho

Totally agree.

Makes me laugh... all those people who said it was a waste of money and how Cameron would never recoup the phenomenal amount it cost to make this film.

Yeah.... ok.

Truly a masterpiece.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
This doesnt surprise me

It was an awesome movie and I hope it passes titanic (coz that sucked giant balls)

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Avatar or Titanic don't even come close to matching the ticket sales that Star Wars had. The numbers that a movie gross are exaggerated these days because it costs much, much more to attend the theatres. Look at the movies which top the lists. They are almost all current movies.

I don't have stats in front of me here but even with all the money Titanic made, it didn't come close to doing what Star Wars did if you factored for the differentials in ticket prices.

On the topic of Avatar, I'm in awe of what a film it was.

My three favorite movies of all-time were The Godfather II, The Departed & Across the Universe. Avatar smokes them all! I never thought I'd see the day when I said that about any film when compared to the likes of the Godfather.

I only wish I could go to the theatres to see it for the first time all over again.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Top films of all time by tickets sold some surprises in this list...

US Domestic

DOMESTIC GROSSES

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkStormCrow

Thanks!

I hadn't realized that Gone With the Wind was #1. Very interesting.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Check this chart when the gross is adjusted for inflation.

Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation

Thats just domestic US figures

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
This doesnt surprise me

It was an awesome movie and I hope it passes titanic (coz that sucked giant balls)NFL Shop

i can't wait to see it... hope it won't disappoint.

[edit on 18-1-2010 by Tiffany87]

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
OK people, I know it's a recession, but Mr. Cameron is apparently trying to apologize for, and hopefully overshadow Titanic, so we've got to get out there and get this thing to number one. I haven't seen it in imax yet and I get paid tomorrow so I've been thinking about it. Our children... and especially the children who our children beat up (you know the audio-visual club kids who grow up to be movie critics, and the various other nerds who end up dealing in statistics as adults) will judge us by what we buy.

You 30 year old parents- your parents gave you money to go see Titanic when you were 17, and 13 years later, here you are with a 12 year old and quite possibly an ex who sometimes asks if you remember seeing Titanic together.

So now you've gotta take your kid(s) to go see Avatar, because there are more kids now, and that means that if Avatar doesn't pass Titanic, then economists will actually graph out the fact that your parents were way cooler than you... and your ex will probably show them the graph.

top topics

join