It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychological Projection

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/20d1690a471c.jpg[/atsimg]

Oftentimes when someone insults or attacks another, it tells us more about the attacker than about the person being attacked.

I think its important to highlight this subect because it runs rampant in the world. If more people understood how it works they would be less offended when someone attacks them, more understanding and tolerant of others.

If, in any instance you are verbally attacked for things you did not do or say, for things that have nothing to do with you, you are most likely dealing with someone Projecting. But there is also positive Projection, where someone idolizes you, makes you seem bigger and better than you are in reality.

Another aspect involves people who see darkness, doom, gloom, conspiracy, negativity and evil everywhere. As convinced as they are of their viewpoint, large parts of it are Projection, imo.

Mr Grumpy wakes up in the morning and notices a bad smell in the house. He goes to work and says "Whats wrong with these office rooms? They stink!" He goes to a Diner for lunch and again there's that rancid smell. "It smells here!" he says. Everywhere he goes it smelly. What he cant see is that there is a piece of dung on his nose. Thats how projection works. One does not see the problem in/at/on oneself but projects it out onto the world.

Psychological Projection is the unconscious act of denial of a person's own attributes, thoughts, and emotions, which are then ascribed to the outside world, such as to the weather, the government, a tool, or to other people. Thus, it involves imagining or projecting that others have the same feelings or motives, rather than what they really think. Projection is considered one of the most profound and subtle of human psychological processes, and extremely difficult to work with, because by its nature it is hidden. It is the fundamental mechanism by which we keep ourselves uninformed about ourselves. Humor has great value in any attempt to work with projection, because humor presents a forgiving posture and thereby removes the threatening nature of any inquiry into the truth.

To understand the process, consider a person in a couple who has thoughts of infidelity. Instead of dealing with these undesirable thoughts consciously, they unconsciously project these feelings onto the other person, and begin to think that the other has thoughts of infidelity and may be having an affair. In this sense, projection is related to denial, arguably the only defense mechanism that is more primitive than projection. Projection, like all defense mechanisms, provides a function whereby a person can protect their conscious mind from a feeling that is otherwise repulsive.

Projection is used by the sane and healthy (we all use it to some extent) as well as more severe cases, such as people with Paranoid Personality Disorder and Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

Paranoid personality disorder is a psychiatric diagnosis characterized by paranoia and a pervasive, long-standing suspiciousness and generalized mistrust of others. Those with the condition are hypersensitive, are easily slighted, and habitually relate to the world by vigilant scanning of the environment for clues or suggestions to validate their prejudicial ideas or biases. They tend to be guarded and suspicious and have quite constricted emotional lives. Their incapacity for meaningful emotional involvement and the general pattern of isolated withdrawal often lend a quality of schizoid isolation to their life experience. [1]

In my experience, merely telling people about Projection and how it works lessens their tendency to project their own problems onto the world.

Withdrawing the Projection

Withdrawing the projections is the beginning of becoming whole or, what Carl Jung refers to, individuated. Those parts of the personality that have been caught up in projections start to return giving greater authenticity and feeling of well being. Love, too, is more richly realized as the projections are lifted. Becoming individuated brings a greater sense of freedom as a person feels more like themselves and thus more vibrantly alive.

Some Points for Discussion:

How does Projection apply to Politics and the News Media?
How does it apply to anti-___________ (fill in the blank) speech and hate-speech?
How does it apply to us personally?

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I figured looking at Projection isnt too popular around here, but zero replies? Wow

[edit on 17-1-2010 by Skyfloating]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
well yeah... it doesnt have to be negative either...
do you know what would happen if you walk past some person on the street who you can see looks a bit depressed and actually genuinely smiled and waved?
i like your hangover remedies too by the way

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Reply to post by Skyfloating

Another great thread that cuts to the unpopular bone of ALOT of the issues discussed on this site Sky. Which is what I have come to expect from you.
It is evident in how some members react with EXTREME hostility to any dissenting remark or contrary information. But I would have to disagree on your suggested approach as it would work if mankind was an inherently a rational animal which I do not think we are. We can be, but, to use a saying "There's just no reasoning with some people." and it's easier to not be.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I have a neighbor that has been harassing me for the past year. I have a defect and this person has taken upon himself to remind me of it 2-10 times a day (no exaggeration) by saying loud insulting comments about it (and letting my other neighbors aware of it too, I'm sure!). This seems like it might be a form of projection. I just have a hard time seeing it as a form of projection, he does not have my defect and from appearances only(I don't know him personally), he seems to have a better life than I do.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by illusioned2]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I would agree 100% and tell you that I see projection all over this board all the time, and I've even told people as much when they respond to me in such a way.

But then I'm afraid I'd be projecting when I say that.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Another side of this is that people who believe in God and mysticism refuse to see the world as it really is due to denial.....

sometimes when people yell at and insult others.... its purposefull... meaningfull.... and truthfull.... Yes it still hurts, but it doesnt make it any less truthfull.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by Wertdagf]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

There are none so deluded as those who believe they have a grasp of reality. And that's some truth.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
sometimes when people yell and and insult others.... its purposefull...

And what is the purpose?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
This thread was absolutely silent for two days so its a bit of a surprise that it isnt now.

Another side of this is that people who believe in God and mysticism refuse to see the world as it really is due to denial, but i doubt you would allow yourself to see this side of it.....

People who are mystics are in Denial? Perhaps those who turn to Mysticism out of desperation are. But Ive had a number of mystical experiences where I would say that if I rejected Mysticism Id be in Denial.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

To stop a child from grabbing the pan thats hot.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

But would you KNOW that you are desparate? How can you be sure your belief and experiance werent created by your mind from your desparation?

You cant.... We all know how much the mind can create to comfort itself.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   

How do you know that your denial of everything spiritual isn't a projective mechanism defending you from your fear of things beyond your ability to comprehend?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MrDesolate

Because what i know does NOT comfort me..... what i find is NOT comfort... because reality is NOT comfortable.

I want god to exist... i want those morons on youtube to REALLY be moving things with their mind..... I WANT there to be some secret power that the weak can magically gain to defeat injustice and teach.

I WANT all of these pathetic fairytales to be real.... but they're not. There is not GOD there is no afterlife.... there is no soul and no freewill. I WANT THESE THINGS but i will not LIE to myself.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   

The only lie you're telling yourself is that you know. It may be what you believe, and that's fine. Just because you believe it, doesn't make it true, nest'ce pas? Or is that a one-way street?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

I WANT all of these pathetic fairytales to be real.... but they're not.

The case for Theism and Mysticism is so strong any formal Debate based on Rational Discourse rather than Emotionality is easily won.

However, this thread is not really the place for the Atheist vs Theist Debate. There are already enough Debates on that around and do feel free to challenge me in any other thread on it.

Best wishes to you fellow ATSer.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MrDesolate

Your saying goes both ways.

You cant invent imaginary possiblitys with no basis in reality and use them to conduct your everyday life. Can you say that you KNOW there are no purple unicorns sitting next to you? What if they are invisible?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Another side of this is that people who believe in God and mysticism refuse to see the world as it really is due to denial.....

sometimes when people yell at and insult others.... its purposefull... meaningfull.... and truthfull.... Yes it still hurts, but it doesnt make it any less truthfull.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by Wertdagf]

So that makes it okay that I am insulted loudly several x a day? (My neighbor and I are both adults by the way). I do not talk or respond back to him. I just ignore him. I have a defect, that is my only "crime".

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by illusioned2

It depends on what the insults are and if you do anything to deserve them. What if you ARE doing something inccorect and it deserves verbal assault? It is impossible to know without Empathy.

Im just saying that understanding these psycological aspects are good.... but in the end they are only going to be used to defend the belief the person wants to.

Its a MASSIVE double edged sword. Allowing both people to sit at range without every exploring the possiblity and rationalizing it away with "well their projecting or in denial". This helps no one.

The differance in my position is that i want these things to be real, but see that they are not. muslims dont search for all evidence of their god being an illusion hoping to prove it wrong.........

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

To stop a child from grabbing the pan thats hot.

Sorry but you're going to have to be less obscure for me to understand what purpose there is in yelling at and insulting others.

Because what i know does NOT comfort me..... what i find is NOT comfort... because reality is NOT comfortable.

And so you want everyone else to be miserable like you too. Right?

[edit on 19-1-2010 by bsbray11]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join