It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proposed Web video restrictions cause outrage in Italy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Proposed Web video restrictions cause outrage in Italy

www.thestandard.com

New rules to be introduced by government decree will require people who upload videos onto the Internet to obtain authorization from the Communications Ministry similar to that required by television broadcasters, drastically reducing freedom to communicate over the Web, opposition lawmakers have warned.

Article 4 of the decree specifies that the dissemination over the Internet "of moving pictures, whether or not accompanied by sound," requires ministerial authorization. Critics say it will therefore apply to the Web sites of newspapers, to IPTV and to mobile TV, obliging them to take on
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
When the Italians begin to adopt these kinds of measures we need to be wary. My guess is that this is the first in what will be an EU mandate which will dramatically cull free speach in a significant part of the free world.

These types of bans will be adopted as a "protection of copywrite" kind of law, but have no mistake, they are a culling of free speach.

The Italian government is in free-fall and the videos updated concerning Berlusconi have been an embarrisment to say the least.

When you consider the fact that on-site videos have become the defacto source for folks to receive close on live reporting of events, this will be a major force to push reporting back into the state governed media.

You'd expect this kind of thing from China or Russia. To see it from one of the greatest countrys on the planet, especially one with such a tremendous history in cultural expression which in many cases pushed the envelope and defined art in the world is troubling

www.thestandard.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I just got through watching the news here (in Sicily) and didn't hear a thing about this.

Call me astonished, lol! (No, it doesn't surprise me I didn't).

I'll look into it more and get back to you.

Thanks tons for the thread!

peace

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I just connected with a friend in Germany and apparently this has been on the agenda for a while and now is likely to move forward there as well. The Greek financial situation and the implications that has on the EU as a collective entity is dire, since Spain and Portugal are almost in worse shape than Greece. TPTB in the EU don't to see videos from Greece and their economic meltdown, Italians protesting against their leader or protests against the French government's rule against the public berka going viral throughout the union. He does not work for the government, but works for a firm who largely serves the government and has a bunch of friends in the German government and there is a growing concern that when these disparate events hit mass, the EU will become unstable.

The currency is already unstable (note the Euro against the Yen recently). Mass public disorder is yet another. I've said on a number of prior posts, the EU is an artificial prop, intended by global forces to show in practice how diverse cultures can live in harmony. This was a prime example of how a global government of collective could not only work, but prosper. It was doomed from the start. What better way to forstall that than to restrict the media and by consequence access to information?

On the surface this might not seem like much. Think about what it really means in a geopolitical context and you'll understand that this is a big deal.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Does anyone get the sense that the worlds governments are deliberately poking the stick in the hornets nest as much and as often as they can to get people out on to the streets? Financial collapse followed by huge bailout with bonuses, MP expense corruption (UK), Vaccination issues, Climategate, loss of freedom(s), daily internet control proposals, airport scanners.. the list seems to build and build... or is it just that I'm reading ATS too much? Perhaps some government body should limit how much time I'm allowed to spend online maybe even a nice surf tax?

If they really are looking to get people out on the street the answer is simple - cancel American Idol.

berth

[edit on 17-1-2010 by badBERTHA]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
The article says it's an EU recommendation:

Paolo Romani, the deputy minister responsible for drafting the decree, insisted the text simply adopted the recommendations of the EU directive

Don't think something like that would pass. Some laws proposed by EU are a work of art. I remember the law forbidding farmers to sell carrots that aint perfectly straight or tomatoes that are not round enough.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Given Italy's past, that the Roman Empire was based there, the Vatican is there, Machiavelli lived there, fascism came to power, they aided the Nazis and Mussolini ruled there... This appears to still be a country that rivals the US in corruption.

It somehow does not surprise me that they would try to pass this legislation. I really hope that it fails, or that if it is passed, many people break the law and resist their politicians' orders.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
is Italy communist? or becoming communist? it looks like it

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I don't get it. If this law passes does it apply to every video, for example if you wanted to upload a video of your cat doing funny things on youtube?

Who will be paying for all the new resources that are going to be needed to sift through all these videos waiting for approval? TAXPAYERS I guess.

I swear someone just sits around some office thinking up new laws to pass to either infringe on our freedoms or just plain piss us off.

I agree with "badBERTHA", it seems like they are poking us with sticks to see if they can get a rise out of us.

The sad thing is, if this law does come to pass, we will probably lie down and take it just like every other piece of bull s**t theyv'e thrown at us.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Well I guess our fight is not just in the U.S. Sorry Italians, it looks like you're going to have to take the first punch for the team.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
If they loose the freedom to speak to the world then the government can do what ever it wants to the people and no one will ever know what's going down. They might as well start going around cutting tongues out of skulls.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
This is already a fascist (not communist, believe me) country with almost all the media controlled by our semi-dictator Berlusconi and his people.

If you try watching the news, you will only hear about crimes supposedly (way before any actual investigation, if there would be any) committed by either foreigners from places in Africa OR from Romania, like they were the devil in the flesh. Only really famous crimes by italians will have a passing mention. And I'm not even talking about Mafia related anything, which according to some politicians "DOES NOT EXIST".

Problem is, people outside Italy doesn't understand that fascism never died, the actual right wing today is still extreme but veiled behind nice wording, and they are organized and slowly taking power again, while the left, the so called communists that are more like democrats, are completely disorganized.

And for the record Berlusconi and co. nowadays have not only nazi but extreme right ties, and everybody knows it but can't say a word.

Edit to add:
I just searched for news concerning this, it is true and is passing quite easily on the government. The decree is being called "Romani Decree" (signed by Paolo Romani) and it not only wants to damage the online distribution of media (also against ipTV sites) but also aims to strike at Sky tv, the only real competition against Mediaset (guess almost singularly owned by who?). They simply want to control ALL forms of media in and out of the country.

The people themselves are slowly waking to the truth, at least the ones not over 60 (and that's not much). The politicians won't solve anything so the people in the end will have to wake up or drown in #. It's a sad place and time to be, much like the rest of the world...

[edit on 18-1-2010 by Raziel89]

[edit on 18-1-2010 by Raziel89]

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSlovak
is Italy communist? or becoming communist? it looks like it

No: Italy is litterally owned by a bunch of fascists, and their commander in chief Berlusconi suffers basically from three complexes:
the first one is about his stature: he's aware that every PM, minister, diplomat, etc he meets is taller than him, and this generates in his psyche a series of childish behaviors, like to wear shoes with high heels to look as tall as the others;

another complex is the one of women: he's aware that if it wasn't because of his power and profusion, then no woman would ever even just approach him: so he wants to be surrounded by nymphs (no matter their age, no matter their fee).
But these complexes aren't very dangerous for democracy: the dangerous one is the THIRD one: he NEEDS to keep everything under control.
Not just a will, it's a need.
So, he believes it's unacceptable that there are some newspapers that are not owned/controlled by him, he believes that it's outrageous that foreign press often if not always criticizes his work:
and now, he believes that something has to be done with this hellish creature called "the web", where everyone is free to write, upload, share etc.
Poor guy, he spent so much time & money, he even bribed in order to take some control over that bad thing called "freedom of speech", and now he should give up in front of some short-lived phenomenon like the internet? Forget it; and since italians lack many things but they mostly lack money, here's the idea: tax whatever they do, and they'll stop with such a craze.

Strictly on topic, the original document can be downloaded here, straight from Italian Chamber of Deputies's website:
(.pdf file, 3,73 Mb) - ATTO DEL GOVERNO SOTTOPOSTO A PARERE PARLAMENTARE
The "genius" who wrote the decree is Paolo Romani, and it was delivered to the Chamber of Deputies on December 18, 2009:
to put it in very simple words, the target of the decree is to nullify all the differences (presently being regulated by laws) between an ISP hosting third parties media and some TV station: basically, to destroy a big slice of the freedom of the web.
Plus: ISP would become straight liable for the contents published by the third parties hosted by them, go figure the possible consequences.
Ah, in case of violation of the law, the fine for ISP would be up to 150,000.00 EUR = 215,588.36 USD .

In my opinion, this decree is going to nowhere, as it has happened in the past with the Levi decree (coming from left parties) which has been withdrawn, with D'Alia's amendment (middle party) which has been rejected, and Carlucci's decree (right party) [which purpose was to nullify the anonymity in the web!] which has died spontaneously.
But just the idea that in Italy there are some politicians able to even think up such crazy ideas is extremely concerning. Anyway, I'm confident that it's not just an internal affairs matter: in my opinion, Italian gov.t is under the pressure of his partners: ONE China is already enough, we don't need a new China, especially in the middle of the EU.

www.webnews.it...
www.apogeonline.com...
www.articolo21.org...
www.articolo21.org...

Thanks for sharing

-internos

[ed. for spelling]

[edit on 18/1/2010 by internos]

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hatcookie
I don't get it. If this law passes does it apply to every video, for example if you wanted to upload a video of your cat doing funny things on youtube?

Who will be paying for all the new resources that are going to be needed to sift through all these videos waiting for approval? TAXPAYERS I guess.

I swear someone just sits around some office thinking up new laws to pass to either infringe on our freedoms or just plain piss us off.

I agree with "badBERTHA", it seems like they are poking us with sticks to see if they can get a rise out of us.

The sad thing is, if this law does come to pass, we will probably lie down and take it just like every other piece of bull s**t theyv'e thrown at us.

Nobody is going to sift through anything. You will get automatic approval until revoked. You will not notice the difference until somebody decides that your video "doesn't meet the requirements".
So anything that smells like a funny cat doing suspicious things in the bag on YouTube, may get shot. They will soon have a law that allows them to kill any and all anoying conspiracy cats.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
All of this because of the Berlusconi Story ? .........Ah , Fun Ghoul .........

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by badBERTHA

Thanks for the good chuckle
You are so right.
It really does appear as though we are BEING PROVOKED, DOESNT IT???
Our cages get rattled everyday. They give us more to conspire about on a daily basis.
THEN they tell us they're gonna watch us conspiracy theory people posting nonsense.

AND COME GET US AND PUT US AWAY IN CAMPS.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

Nice try at Italian.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
The new face of fascism. Italy hasn't changed much, or learned anything.

2nd line

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
This strikes a little too close to home to be comfortable for me. If one EU country does this and manages to get away with it, you can guarantee that the UK will follow suit.

I'm already having to run through proxies and run so much security software that it slows my system down just to protect my anonymity online and to avoid Virgin Media's new packet sniffing policy.

I always said that ratification of the EU "constitution" was the beginning of the end for sovereign control of sovereign nations. No, now it's all being controlled by the unelected heads of the EU council and the people who hold the purse strings.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by nik1halo
This strikes a little too close to home to be comfortable for me. If one EU country does this and manages to get away with it, you can guarantee that the UK will follow suit.

I'm already having to run through proxies and run so much security software that it slows my system down just to protect my anonymity online and to avoid Virgin Media's new packet sniffing policy.

I always said that ratification of the EU "constitution" was the beginning of the end for sovereign control of sovereign nations. No, now it's all being controlled by the unelected heads of the EU council and the people who hold the purse strings.

Exactly, people are too quick to assume that this is limited to Italy. This is going to spread across Europe like wildfire. This is but another step in taking away our global freedoms on the net.

I cannot stress how our imminent our defeat is if we allow them to limit our freedom of speech in web videos and blogs. It's the equivalent of taking one hundred steps backwards on the battlefront. We're going to get flanked.

S&F and I really hope this thread get's the attention it deserves. We're about to lose a key component of our arsenal in exposing the corruption of existing international governments.

We should be taking to the streets with sticks and stones for crying out loud. Much will happen this year and all we'll do about it is complain in an online community like this without taking action and thereafter forget about it until the next time TPTB relinquish our liberties.

This is it. This year, the handful of years preceding and following it will be viewed by historians as the period global fascism was allowed to solidify.

Let's try and define a solution here. Does anyone know an established society that's currently making leeway against the oppression of internet freedoms? Is the W3 consortium active in any of this?

Can we not start up a social group on ATS with the objective of the discussion being to lead to definitive action rather than just discussion alone?

I'm serious: WE NEED TO ACT! WE NEED TO PROTECT THE INTERNET! If you just want to discuss it to death, fine but know that your days are numbered. ATS will eventually be effected by what the internet is currently being fashioned into.

On the other hand, if you want to act then let's network together. I'm based in Ireland myself.

[edit on 18-1-2010 by rexusdiablos]

[edit on 18-1-2010 by rexusdiablos]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join