It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burn Notice : If You Were A Spy, and You Got A Burn Notice, What Would You Do?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

I suppose it would be very dependent upon which organizations I was working for and whether I supported, or even understood, their agenda.

I can say one thing for sure though, I would do my best to stay alive. Those out to burn me best be able to handle the heat or get out of the kitchen.

If I were opposed to the insitution I worked for I'd probably do my best to topple it like a house of cards if they burned me. Destroy it from the inside out. If I liked it I'd just have to extinguish the flame of all who attempted to burn me. Maybe someday they'd just leave me alone?

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
Interesting thread.

Thanks.

A friend of mine had me watch the show Burn Notice, and I admit it was pretty good. Shame that such real world events do happen, the problem with outing real clandestine and covert operatives is, it's bad practice.

I thought the show was pretty interesting.

Yes, it is a shame, thanks to people in the White House, Valerie Plame lost.

And the show has Bruce Campbell in it, that's an extra reason, for the humor.

To be frank in my reply, what would I do.

Burn them back, not that it would take much these days, as agencies are burning themselves like it is going out of style...

If they are not burning themselves, they are screwing up some way.

Then, I would go into business for myself. Start my own private sector company and offer the services I was trained to do, for others. I'm sure China or Georgia and even Ukraine or Yemen would be interested in having a private offensive double agent available for off the books operations. Obviously the US don't, other wise they wouldn't have burned you in the first place.

Great idea, sounds like a "Burn Notice" would be a help, not a hindrance.

I am not sure about the double-agent part though.

Guess it depends on what "agency" it was to begin with.

Think of it this way, the DIA or Defense Intelligence Agency recently had a contract available at the fedbizops webpage www.fbo.gov... for their "couriers" to recieve counter surveillance training, a job worth $77.7 million.

That's a lot of money as a "courier".

I'm going to check out that website.

D.I.A. or not, it's a lot.

How would I maintain my company, easy. Strict enforcement of client confidentiality, and exeading the industry standards. The "Intelligence Community" may have some unique industry standards. But they are ones that will be in high demand for centuries to come.

Besides, I learned every thing I need to know from Sun Tzu.

[edit to fix link]

[edit on 17-1-2010 by ADVISOR]

That's the ticket.

Discretion is important in the spook business, agency or private sector.

Sun Tzu, my favorite teacher.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Namaste
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

I suppose it would be very dependent upon which organizations I was working for and whether I supported, or even understood, their agenda.

Of course.

Feel free to put your own choice of agency.

And included a scenario, if you would like.

I can say one thing for sure though, I would do my best to stay alive. Those out to burn me best be able to handle the heat or get out of the kitchen.

Survival is important, no matter what.

If I were opposed to the insitution I worked for I'd probably do my best to topple it like a house of cards if they burned me. Destroy it from the inside out. If I liked it I'd just have to extinguish the flame of all who attempted to burn me. Maybe someday they'd just leave me alone?

I guess that depends on which agency, and how you handle it.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
You have about a fifty fifty chance to survive the initial burn.

Now assuming you did, it comes down to how good you are.

Me with my luck, Id live but would not have the hidden assets necessary. Acquisition time

Hiding is not an issue. hunting back is. They might get a year head start but they wouldnt make it.

Understand once he order for your death is given they dont stop. Your only option is to kill the one who gave the order and those who support them.

Id enjoy it. It would be a duel to the death with good odds of going down in the 13th at least.

Rules.
no contact with prior associates
abandon any secured positions till your ready to pounce
new hiding spots and cash must be found.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Here's a trailer for upcoming season 7. But it doesn't give a lot..

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Do people really still use the term "terminate with extreme prejudice"?

I had thought "render harmless" was the in-vogue paperwork euphemism, and it's so much less dramatic.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

Love your replies.

You're right on the money with most of it.

There's a lot more to it but so far we're thinking along similar lines.

Depending upon whether someone is working for which agency and what happened.

There are things that effect this type of decision.

From if the political wind shifted, to agency heads changing, to allies changing.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by zemase

I've never heard of the show.

Is it some television show like Burn Notice?

It did not look like it from what I saw.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam
Do people really still use the term "terminate with extreme prejudice"?

I had thought "render harmless" was the in-vogue paperwork euphemism, and it's so much less dramatic.

I guess that all depends upon the agency, country, and protocols of each.

They are all euphemisms for the same thing though.

Elimination through any means necessary.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
To be involved in such circles of secrecy you really have to watch where you step and assure your loyalties stay with one handler. You can never be sure of anything in the first place.

I would have to say run and keep running when your in a secret society or service there is no explanations just decisive movements that spell longer life or death.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by PositivelyDetermined
To be involved in such circles of secrecy you really have to watch where you step and assure your loyalties stay with one handler. You can never be sure of anything in the first place.

I would have to say run and keep running when your in a secret society or service there is no explanations just decisive movements that spell longer life or death.

Therein lies the rub as the bard is wont to say in loyalties.

If you were someone who got the proverbial "burn notice" loyalty is no longer apt.

If someone was seen as a "compromised person", meaning their value as an agent, operative, or what have you, loyalty is right out the window especially with friends.

There is no longer such a thing as friendship anymore because your formerly closest friend is now a "compromised person" to you, since they will rat you out.

And or try to eliminate you.

In the Intelligence Agencies there is no such thing as friends ever, but especially when it comes to having the "burn notice" put out on you.

And if I was someone who was "burned", so to speak, I would know friends are no longer friends just as family is no longer family, they are merely collateral damage.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I love Burn Notice; it is my favorite TV show. I highly recommend watching it, as it’s full of a lot of great ideas and tips on how to turn every day ordinary items in deadly weapons, and how to evade and counter all forms of criminal enterprises including law enforcement.

I would never work for an intelligence organization so I don’t have to worry about what I would do if I got a burn notice.

Love the TV show though.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Love the show too.

I read many, many books, as well as watch the show as I can.

Learn anywhere and everywhere you can about how things are done.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I enjoy watching burn notice a lot. I have never thought about what I would do in this situation but I think it is a fun exercise. I think I would try to get to all of the top people in Protoplasmic Traveler's "All roads lead to Rome" thread. Take them all out and see if existence on earth improves. That is option A.

Option B would include some modern day Robin Hood efforts. Steal from the big banks/wall street and give it to the poor or something.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by idontKNOWanything

I'm laughing pretty hard at your post.

Guessing you see those people as a threat.

Robin Hood, Jesse James, and the Founding Fathers would be declared terrorists.

In the modern day that is of course according to Homeland Security.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Actually I'm of the mind that in todays world even a loud squeaky wheel private citizen could be a candidate for being burned,
it all depends on the noise youre making or how youre perceived as a trouble.
Being fortunate enough to know you were targeted before any attempts were made would be a huge plus, and under those circumstances you'd fare a little better, you could alter appearance and start back dooring your way to some sort of illusion of safety.
Getting the details on Why, and Who issued the order would be desired but long in getting an answer to.
Yet like I said earlier, knowing pre engagement would be a luxury.
So in reality your "notice" would come at first attempt.
And if you sit for a minute and think on that, just think, of all the possible 1st attempt scenarios, then would I get an agreement that youre probably NOT surviving?
Should I survive a 1st attempt, I can say with honesty, I would go ghost, I would be unrecognizable, I would cut all ties, I would be quiet for a long time ,I would become the salted tear as I aggressively sought many closures. I dont even like the thought of it all and what I would attempt to do.
Time to go to the happy place.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Depends on how much of a gullible pawn you are.

Personally i would sort of treat both the proposed object of the 'burn' as well as the person/agency telling me to burn them as both 'on notice'.

I would treat both information directions as suspect to see which one wasn't adding up correctly.

And the intelligence agencies are so mucked up can you really trust anyone?

If you believe everything you are told the liars just use you as their completely convincing front person, because you are dumb enough to believe their lies with conviction.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by slank]

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by HappilyEverAfter
Actually I'm of the mind that in todays world even a loud squeaky wheel private citizen could be a candidate for being burned, it all depends on the noise youre making or how youre perceived as a trouble.

Of course.

And what organization needs help.

My biggest problem would be if they approached and did not identify themselves.

That is a huge no-no for me as I will not cooperate with someone who wants total deniability.

That means they plan on using me as an expendable person and or asset and that's not happening.

Being fortunate enough to know you were targeted before any attempts were made would be a huge plus, and under those circumstances you'd fare a little better, you could alter appearance and start back dooring your way to some sort of illusion of safety.

Depends, again, on who it is, and how it happened.

Me?

I prefer taking them on, on their rules, and my playground.

Let me just say this thread was written for a reason due to actions which did happen.

Getting the details on Why, and Who issued the order would be desired but long in getting an answer to.
Yet like I said earlier, knowing pre engagement would be a luxury.

Spotting any sort of action in advance would be determined by your own standards.

I live within policy, procedure, and protocol.

I am always vigilant, always, and I am extremely security conscious, operations security is primary.

So in reality your "notice" would come at first attempt.

Exactly.

And if you sit for a minute and think on that, just think, of all the possible 1st attempt scenarios, then would I get an agreement that youre probably NOT surviving?

That depends upon the person, their training, and their tools available.

I've been running scenarios, planning contingency plans, and building actionable knowledge.

Tactics, the Art of War, turning that into the Art of Peace, and the Hegelian Dialectic in hand.

Should I survive a 1st attempt, I can say with honesty, I would go ghost, I would be unrecognizable, I would cut all ties, I would be quiet for a long time ,I would become the salted tear as I aggressively sought many closures. I dont even like the thought of it all and what I would attempt to do.
Time to go to the happy place.

Again, this depends upon who it is, "going ghost" might actually hurt you in the long run.

Using whatever tactics they come with against them is the best way to go.

Adapt, modify, improvise, and overcome.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by slank
Depends on how much of a gullible pawn you are.

Personally i would sort of treat both the proposed object of the 'burn' as well as the person/agency telling me to burn them as both 'on notice'.

I would treat both information directions as suspect to see which one wasn't adding up correctly.

And the intelligence agencies are so mucked up can you really trust anyone?

If you believe everything you are told the liars just use you as their completely convincing front person, because you are dumb enough to believe their lies with conviction.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by slank]

Great answer and excellent points.

Not everything in the Intelligence Industry is as it seems.

Black is white, white is black, covert operations are militarized fraud, intelligence comes in many forms.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join