It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Text Donations Raise $7M for Haiti

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Text Donations Raise $7M for Haiti.

www.cnn.com

Soon after a 7.0-magnitude quake struck near capital city Port-au-Prince late Tuesday, the Red Cross mobilized fundraising efforts via social networking site Twitter. Just before midnight, @RedCross tweeted: "You can text "HAITI" to 90999 to donate $10 to Red Cross relief efforts in #haiti."

And so far a staggering 700,000 customers have done just that, across all wireless networks including AT&T (T, Fortune 500), Verizon (VZ, Fortune 500), Sprint (S, Fortune 500) and T-Mobile.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

*Edited for link

[edit on 17-1-2010 by Kevinquisitor]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I think that's really amazing, and It makes me feel good to see such a large amount of giving for a country that has been devastated by such a disaster.

My only concern with all of this is, how much of the money we're donating to them will actually reach them? And how much of that would actually be used to assist with recovery and rebuilding?

Regardless, I work for Alltel in a call center, and today I am going to tell everyone of my customers that call in to text that #. We don't have control over what happens to the money, but we do have control of it being generated in the first place...

Peace & Blessings

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Kevinquisitor

Its nice yes but what about the disaster some of the people of our own country are in thanks to our government? It just bothers me for some reason that we dont want to help people in our own country and yet 700,000 people jump to help people in Haiti out. I for one am sick of those darn texts! I am not donating to anyone there, I would rather give my money to my neighbors here whoa re suffering. It's really sad what happened there yes but what's going on here is just as sad in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Before you get that warm fuzzy feeling about all of this, perhaps it would be wise to wait a while and see how much of that money actually gets to the Haitian people in ANY form.

If other past efforts are indicative of what could happen here, it will likely ultimately be a few pennies on the dollar.

Or take the other option of donating through government as Bush said... just send your cash, they will decide how to spend it properly.

Text away everyone... but not whilst driving.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

Yeah, I remember Katrina's relief "aid", or lackof...

Quoted from NY Times

"There are no known official estimates of the cash or the value of supplies that might have been misappropriated, but volunteers who have come forward with accusations said the amount was in the millions of dollars. The Red Cross received roughly 60 percent of the $3.6 billion that Americans donated for hurricane relief. Mr. McGuire said the investigation started "a number of weeks ago" and was continuing."

That's a huge chunk of change to go missing... but it doesn't change how I feel about how much was raised then, and how much is being raised now. Like I said, my main concern is how much of that is actually going to reach the people that need it?

Maybe the RC needs to tighten up their requirements for volunteers, or the people in charge of the appropriations need to be replaced with someone more competent, or less corrupt, or both? Maybe we should find another avenue for the money...

top topics

join