It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UKIP calls on Burka ban in UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

The burka and other face-covering veils worn by Muslim women should be banned, the UK Independence Party says.

Ex-UKIP leader Nigel Farage, who leads UKIP's 13 MEPs in Brussels, told the BBC's Politics Show they were a symbol of an "increasingly divided Britain".

He also said they "oppressed" women and were a potential security threat.

Thoughts, opinions?

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
This topic is already existing here on ats sorry
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 17-1-2010 by enca78]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by enca78
This topic is already existing here on ats sorry

Can you link to it - I can only find the French Burka ban.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Whilst I am somewhat of a supporter of Farrage I'm a little undecided about this burka business.

Common sense tells me that first of all we each and everyone of us have the right to appear as we wish and not be subjected to dictates of others.

So in this sense I will defend any moslem male or females right to wear the burka after all it is just a rag upon the swede no different to a turban.

However, if I am an employer, headteacher, passport control etc I would appreciate if Mr Farrage would help me insist that my rule (as part of a contract) of no facecovering to be worn be applicable to all regardless of their religious beliefs.

As I recall there are certain areas that ski masks and such are outlawed in certain supermarkets hoodies are outlawed. The same rule should be enforced for the wearing of the burka.

If women (rather the men that own them) of a given religious bent have an issue with their face being seen, then this need only be an issue in their own community. Whilst the women are in the workplace etc then common courtesy should encourage them to suspend their beliefs in theses areas and leave them at home where they belong.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Are these people simple in the head?

Many people want Britain out of the European Union because it caused the UK to turn its back on her old colonies. Being heavy=handed with those from the old colonies, many of which, like Yemen, are Islamic is tuning on their own supporters.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

He also said they "oppressed" women and were a potential security threat.

Laws that make women cover their breasts are also oppressive if I do say so myself.. Why are there laws to oppress women in public to mandate they can not show their entire breasts?

I believe we should change some of our own oppressive laws before we start mandating one oppression is greater than the other.

Heck it could even help with the big-brother intelligence gathering if women were allowed to go topless. They would have breast profiling to help fight crimes. I'm sure that would help them out.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
i dont think burkhas should be banned since i think some muslim women actually wear them out of choices while some wear them cos they feel they have a duty to wear one.
i dunno what to say, part of me wants to say YES! ban them but at the same time isnt that tantamount to authoritarianism?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by aristocrat2
Are these people simple in the head?

Many people want Britain out of the European Union because it caused the UK to turn its back on her old colonies. Being heavy=handed with those from the old colonies, many of which, like Yemen, are Islamic is tuning on their own supporters.

Just a fact correction... Yemen per se was not a colony of Britain. Aden was a small block of land ceded to the British.

To topic. Quite right. These garments which are designed to hide faces are anti-social. Women who are forced by religious expectation and a social norm dominated by men is fundamentally wrong.

I am happy to pander to the sensibilities of different beliefs, but I find they don't pander to mine.

Regards

Regards

top topics

join