It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA backs Willows student expelled for carrying gun in truck

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

NRA backs Willows student expelled for carrying gun in truck

www.news10.net

Parisio said it's an important distinction that her son's truck was parked on a public street. "I asked the police and the district attorney's office if he did anything wrong and they said no," Parisio said.

However, school officials disagreed. They told Parisio state law gives them "the right to search any of the student's vehicles no matter where they're parked or what they're doing during school hours," she said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
The above snippet is from the middle of the article, but covers the outrageous behavior of the school administration that I believe needs to be placed in check.

According to the school, they can search any students car during school hours no matter where it is. What if the student walked to school? What if it was in his garage? Are they going to search homes too?

I feel the school administration is way out of line, and I hope this kid has this expulsion removed from his record in its entirity.

To reiterate, a legally stored gun on a public street caused a student to be expelled. The vehicle was not on school grounds.

This just blows my mind that the school feels they can get away with this.

www.news10.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
realy makes you wonder if anything the school system does these days are concidered legal by any term,

dumbing down your kids
feeding them industrial waste
and now they teach em that authority is to be trusted even if it brakes the law,..

how low will the ball have to go before anyone does any change over there.

its your kids and their future

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
A persons vehicle is an extension of their private property AND if that student's truck actually was parked in a public street the School has no authority nor right to search anything in that truck. Thats why you either need consent to search or a search warrant including probable cause. But if the School personnel are nothing but Teachers and not working in some form of security (which is sometimes given by state law, law enforcement authority) then they have no excuse under probable cause.

Just another failure of the education system being re-directed on students & their parents to deflect the failures of security so that aspects like liability can be placed elsewhere other than the School system...which is where it belongs.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
On the other hand at least one student (maybe more) knew there was a rifle and ammo within walking distance.

You could pack a lot of weapons in a car and park it just of school property - I bet there is going to be at least one major school shooting in 2010 in America.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
i went to high school in texas around '94 - almost every redneck either had a gun rack WITH GUNS displayed in the rear windsheild of their chevys or had one behind the back seat. i was not a hick or redneck but i had a .22 rifle and a machete behind the back seat and a .22 handgun under the front drivers seat, also a large folding knife in the driver's door pouch. it was common knowledge that almost everyone had a gun in their car, it was "just in case a deer was coming right at us"...

if a car needed to be searched, the teachers called the cops and they conducted the search and usually found a joint or two, some beer, etc. they would place the guns and knives on the roof of the vehicle and put them back when finished - no charges ever filed, just asked why we had them. eventually they told us to leave the guns and knives at home, along with chain wallets, combat boots, hackeysacks, yo-yos, long hair, and shorts.

a teacher searching a students vehicle that is not on school property is called BREAKING AND ENTERING where i'm from. to confiscate something from said vehicle is called VEHICULAR BURGLARY.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I graduated in 86. It was a town just a little ways east of Dallas.

It was not uncommon to have a rifle in the back of the truck. Or a fishing pole
!

Most of us also carried pocket knives.

yeah, we knew we werent supposed to but they only did searchs when they did the annual "dope sniff".

Nothing like this was ever done. You had to take it home.
Next week, they were back in the truck.

This crap is the same mentality as "zero tolerance" and uniforms.

We had a dress code. Hair certain length, clothes couldnt be anything "revealing" or too "weird". We had MAYBE one fight a year. MAYBE. Our teachers were respected. Our teachers respected us as well.

My senior year, I had went to the range that sunday and used my book bag as a field bag. Monday morning, I threw my books back in and went to school.

1st period history, i reached in to get a book and felt something cold.

MY SMITH 9MM!!!!!

"um. coach, i need to go to the office. cant say why right now but will when i get back."

Puzzled look. "ok".

Office

Let my talk to vp chambliss.

Hey. Got a problem. got to go home. kind of a big deal. I'll be right back. cant tell you why.

go ahead.

took my pistol home.

No big hullabaloo ensued, just laughed at me and a friendly warning (wasnt required!).

end of story.

common sense ruled that day. today, i'd have been on the news!

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
This kid needs all the support he can get. If this is allowed to set a pattern then no school kid or underage person will have any rights left.
No surprise this happened in Kalifornia

Good luck kid! I hope the NRA lawyers are good.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I agree with the lawyer comment. At least we know the NRA has money to fight the system. Reading some of the comments on the news story I am a bit shocked. Some people are so willing to give up their rights, it is scary.

When does the line get drawn?

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
On the other hand at least one student (maybe more) knew there was a rifle and ammo within walking distance.

You could pack a lot of weapons in a car and park it just of school property - I bet there is going to be at least one major school shooting in 2010 in America.

So if a kid lives near the school, the school has every right to search the house?

Because:

1. One or more kids know there is a rifle with ammo in the house close to school.

2. You could pack a lot of weapons in a house.

Just where does this end?

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

It doesn't end, plain and simple.

Before you know it, it will be illegal to fart on school property because the gas is flammable and could cause unnecessary destruction and loss of life.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

Did they search his house?

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by felonius

heh, that brought back some memories. as soon as u said "felt something cold" i was like "ooohhhh noez!!!"
i agree, you would have been on national news and labeled a terrorist or something....

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by I.C. Weiner
reply to post by felonius

heh, that brought back some memories. as soon as u said "felt something cold" i was like "ooohhhh noez!!!"
i agree, you would have been on national news and labeled a terrorist or something....

WHO SAYS I'M NOT NOW?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
It's rather interesting to look at how things have changed.

When my parents were in school, the teachers would use cororal punishment on students who were acting up in class (Spankings, wrapping a ruler across the knuckles, sending students to the principal for a spanking). This was back in the 50's and 60's. Students would pay attention, and respected the teachers.

When I was in school, we would have our parents brought in when we did things wrong. I have poor eye-sight, and had a lot of issues with being teased in school about "the blind kid".. and I was not afraid to set them straight.. Much to their surprise. I never got a beating from any school official. We respected our teachers, and listened and paid attention in class tho.

Now, only 18 years after i graduated, and things are in the current state they are. Students do not respect themselves, eacvh other, or the teachers.. Teachers are doing criminal activites. School Officials are breaking laws.

What changed so drastically in 18 years..

I know some of it is the parents.. and i know some of it is the kids, and some of it is the schools and the teachers. but how did things change so much for the worse?

Any clues?

F&S for the oringal poster.
Hats off to the NRA, glad to see my money genuinly helping someone who needs it.
Hats off to the student for being responsible. !!!!
Shame on the school!

-Cygnis

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

But if the kid that owned the guns had of got tweeked on crank and twisted off and killed abunch of his little chums then the cry would have been.....

"damn incompetent school administration! They should have seen the signs; this kid was a powder keg just waiting to go off"

Little prediction for ya, sort of a Headline....."American Gun Violence out of Control, in the workplace and the school rooms"

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's just the beginning.....

[edit on 19-1-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I support the nra in this.

as far as the kid goes,
dude don't worry that piece of paper from the crap school systems isn't worth much anyways.

just go on to college and forget those morons,just a principle trying to feel like they have power

[edit on 19-1-2010 by the_grand_pooh-bah]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
weird double post

[edit on 19-1-2010 by the_grand_pooh-bah]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Just an update on this - the kid is back in school. The county board of education overturned it.

Update: Willows High expulsion overturned

The board was pretty clear in reading the school the riot act..

In addition to reversing the Willows Unified School District board's decision, the county trustees ordered Tudesko's expulsion be removed from the school record.

It also ordered "any costs incurred by the pupil or his parents be reimbursed by the district.

The county board ruled the district had "acted in excess of its jurisdiction" because the act "did not occur on school grounds or at a school activity."

Furthermore, the county board stated that Tudesko did not have an opportunity for a "fair hearing" before the district board, because he "was not provided timely written notice of all evidence...."

The board also found "prejudicial abuse of discretion by the district" because it failed to show how other discipline choices were not feasible, or that Tudesko was a "continuing danger to the physical safety of the student and others."

Of course, the local school took this questioning of their ultimate power over all who enter their doors as you might think they would...

Willows High Principal Mort Geivett's reaction to the reversal was disappointment.

"I'm disappointed, but not surprised, due to the political climate we have here and the fact we have school board members who are going up for re-election and a superintendent who might be running for re-election," he said.

Of greater concern, Geivett said, is "the decision clearly compromises the safety and security of kids and staff members on my campus and this clearly goes beyond Willows High."

Willows Unified Superintending Steve Olmos' response was one of confusion.

The decision "has left me dumbfounded, almost speechless," he said.

The county board "is undermining our authority. They are definitely saying we don't have jurisdiction off campus," he complained.

Its has to be a schock to find out you are not omnipotent.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Before I found out the truck was parked off of school grounds I could have sympathized with the schools ruling.

Knowing the truck was off school grounds however makes this inexcusable. If this is held up the next step will be the school/gov pulling kids out of homes with guns in them.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

top topics

<<   2 >>

join