It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Shuttles for Sale

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
When this line of Shuttles becomes obsolete later in the Fall, they could become

the property of Museums , Universities or maybe the perfect gift for the "man who has

everything".

Asking price has dropped to 28.8 mil from 42 mil. www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
This is a perfect example that NASA is just simply a cover for either

1) That the gov't has no intentions of getting serious about manned space travel.

or
2) That this is just a cover for a serious (But totally secret!) effort at manned space exploration.

Consider the price difference between a Space Shuttle and a the B-2 Spirit.

"The cost of each aircraft averaged US$737 million in 1997 dollars.[3] Total procurement costs averaged US$929 million per aircraft, which includes spare parts, equipment, retrofitting, and software support.[3] The total program cost, which includes development, engineering and testing, averaged US$2.1 billion per aircraft(in 1997 dollars).[3]
Twenty B-2s are operated by the United States Air Force. "
Emphasis mine.

en.wikipedia.org...

They admit we have 20 B-2's worth billions per plane. And yet how many space shuttles do we have?

Yeah, NASA is a total complete joke in every way possible. How disappointing.

[edit on 17-1-2010 by muzzleflash]

jra

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Are you comparing the sale price of the Shuttles to the development cost of a B-2? If so, you should know that the sale price of the Shuttle is not what it cost to develop them.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I wonder if other countries will start buying these up as a basis to developing their own space exploration programs. Could be a good thing as the cost of developing shuttles is what would stump alot of nations that might be more open minded to exploring different space anomalies or sending manned space missions back to the moon.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
This is old news, from way back in December 2008:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Seems no one wants a one lady owner, hardly driven shuttle!

[edit on 17/1/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

This is a perfect example that NASA is just simply a cover for either

1) That the gov't has no intentions of getting serious about manned space travel.

or
2) That this is just a cover for a serious (But totally secret!) effort at manned space exploration....

I don't understand the point of your post.
The answer could be:

3) NASA does not have enough money in their budget to develop the next generation of spacecraft, go to the Moon and still keep the shuttle program operational. Therefore, they will retire the shuttle fleet (to save operating costs). Also, to save on storage costs and time-to-time maintenance costs of the retired shuttles, NASA would like to sell them to institutions.

This is also why NASA is pulling out of the ISS after 2016 -- lack of money. They can't keep the Space Shuttle and Space station funded and still fund the Constellation Program (whose long-term goal is to go to Mars). They need to cancel programs, such as the Shuttle and the ISS to pay for Constellation.

Isn't my "Option #3" another possibility?

[edit on 1/17/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by jra

Are you comparing the sale price of the Shuttles to the development cost of a B-2? If so, you should know that the sale price of the Shuttle is not what it cost to develop them.

Explanation: I believe the OP'er was actually comparing the Development + Building cost of the individual Space Shuttles at about 1.7 Billion $USD [Endeavour in 1992] versus the Development + Building cost of the individual B-2 Spirit at 2.1 Billion $USD [1997] EACH! Keep in mind though that it costs an extra 1/2 Billion $USD to launch the shuttles per each launch and I'm sure the B-2 doesn't burn 1/2 Billion $USD in fuel etc on a 11,000km+ round trip!

Space Shuttle FAQ [nasa.gov]

2nd Nasa endorsed Space Shuttle FAQ [science.ksc.nasa.gov]

Independant verification of Space Shuttle Costs [orbit6.com]

But wiki answers [unconfirmed] says Challenger cost 6.7 Billion $USD in 1971.

Unconfirmed 1971 Cost estimate for Space Shuttle Challenger [wiki.answers.com]

Personal Disclosure:

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
This is old news, from way back in December 2008:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Seems no one wants a one lady owner, hardly driven shuttle!

I wouldn't mind owning one of these.

My neighbour has a Hummer , this would drive him crazy.

J/K

new topics

top topics

join