It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FUTURE DESIGNS 2 - Mammoth Pyramid for New Orleans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Hi all,

Kevin Schopfer, who also designed the Floating City for Boston ( see this post here ), has also put forward this amazing design for the Mississippi at New Orleans.

Called "Noah" which stands for New Orleans Arcology Habitat, this structure will be a floating city which will stand up to the elements including hurricanes.

"Arcology - Meaning Architecture and Ecology"

A hybrid of architecture and ecology, it is essentially a mega city which packs a ginormous population into one hyperstructure – think Death Star, Zion in The Matrix or the Anthill of Antz fame. Now, a real-life group of ambitious designers has taken their looming pyramidal arcology and placed it smack dab on the Mississippi River as a proposal for the rebuild of New Orleans which is currently in progress

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/85b2558a2b33.jpg[/atsimg]

This 30 million square foot beast-building with an array of green features is aptly named NOAH (Get it? Noah and the Arcology?), and is meant to house 40,000 mostly human residents

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/96ceefba2f76.jpg[/atsimg]

Its floating base and open-wall structure are meant to allow “all severe weather /winds to in effect blow through the structure in any direction with the minimum of massing interference

Not only is this a very huge and futuristic idea, it is also built with the environment in mind -

Another plus is that NOAH will supposedly “eliminate the need for cars within the urban structure” via vertical and horizontal internal electric transport links, creating a pedestrian-friendly community. Other eco-friendly elements include secured wind turbines, fresh water recovery and storage systems, a passive glazing system, sky garden heating/cooling vents, grey water treatment, solar array banding panels, and river based water turbines

Sounds amazing. I guess time will tell if these ambitious designs will actually be built or not. I hope they are. Our cities need a facelift!

www.inhabitat.com...

G

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Nice...

Another plus is that NOAH will supposedly “eliminate the need for cars within the urban structure” via vertical and horizontal internal electric transport links, creating a pedestrian-friendly community. Other eco-friendly elements include secured wind turbines, fresh water recovery and storage systems, a passive glazing system, sky garden heating/cooling vents, grey water treatment, solar array banding panels, and river based water turbines

An assumption here - but I'm sure this would be an NGO project...meaning, a board of directors will need to sign off before the project is intiated with the proper funds...

and to make that happen, it's gonna need to be cost-effective, or more to the point, it's gonna need to be self sufficient, especially considering it's segregated from the rest of the populace in a manner of speaking - and the above quote you gave us seems to indicate just that...

This would be quite the venture...thx.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by happygolucky

it's gonna need to be cost-effective, or more to the point, it's gonna need to be self sufficient

I agree. whats the point of spending a fortune on such a design if it relies on the outside World to operate.

what a fantastic idea. you could wake up in the morning and just go downa few floors to your place of work. amazing! bring it on!

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
wow finally.
I'm kinda the volunteer science officer for a very similar project called spiral island.
a friend owns it and we are working on power sources for it at the moment.
similar in concept just different scales.

old version
www.youtube.com...
newest version
www.youtube.com...

launching my own version within two months or so depending on weather.

yeah rishi will give you a tour of his island for 100 peso complete with fruit smoothie.
it's name originally was spiral island but he's renamed it joy's key for some damn reason,i advised against it but whatever.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by the_grand_pooh-bah]

new topics

top topics

join