It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stem Cells Turned Into Pork

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Stem Cells Turned Into Pork

news.discovery.com

Scientists are growing meat in petri dishes, using stem cells from animals, although consistency remains a problem. ...

Dutch scientists have been growing pork in the laboratory since 2006, and while they admit they haven't gotten the texture quite right (the lab-grown meat has the consistency and feel of scallop), they say the technology promises to have widespread implications for our food supply.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Gang accused of killing to sell human fat

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Making the world safe from swine flu? …My inner Luddite finally woke up.

But I suppose it's better than Soylent Green. …And I really do like scallops.

But.

Somehow, I just don't like the direction we're headed here. Makes me feel creepy.

Anyone else have any strong reactions?

news.discovery.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Yeah, I wouldn't feel quite right eating something that was created in a lab. If that stuff becomes available, I think I'll stick with normal meat right from the pig.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I have seen this appear on ATS for about 3-4 years now. Each year a story just like this reemerges. Not saying your article is not new only that I think they are preparing us by letting us hear about lab grown meat more often.

Would I ever eat it? Not willingly or knowingly. I do not trust the lab to grow my meat any better than it is raised on a farm. All too often there are mishaps in labs. What a great way to introduce some super killer bug that was cultured just right in the lab in a way that could never happen in nature.

Lab grown meat is old news. But it does seem to be being brought up more and more often. I worry about the future.

Raist

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I don't care how many pigs need to die, I'm never going to eat this.

2nd.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Does anyone remember when this seemed like a good idea?

Remember shows like the Jetsons? Star Trek, replicators? The Science Channel recently featured a home replicator model being developed now. It will potentially make food, objects, etc., from raw materials ordered and placed inside it.

It seemed so cool back then....

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I'm sure that the technology will get better in time. Think of the progression of any technology; take the TV for example. We started out with black and white, then we progressed to where we are now with HD. How about how far products which stemmed from the TV have come, things like video game counsels.

At some point I believe that science will be able to replicate the food we have at high qualities. When the technology gets to the point where the we can create food which looks and tastes real, I think people will accept it. We hardly know where our food comes from anyways. I hate to support the vegetarians like this but if more people knew the process that their meat went through I think they would stop eating it. All of our food; we just accept it at the store for what it is. At some point I believe the food mentioned in the article will be accepted as well.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm I really don’t think they are going to top Soylent Green for convenience, texture or price!

I really don’t think they intend to feed us this homegrown pork either.

Pork became a staple favorite of the freshly converted South American and Central America Indians for one reason.

It is reputed to be the closest tasting thing to human flesh! This is also why Jews and Muslims are not allowed to eat pork.

Like Marijuana use leads to Heroin use, Pork addiction leads to Human Flesh Addiction.

Pardon me a moment while I open another delicious tasty box of affordable Soylent Green I absolutely can not get enough of this stuff.

Anyway where was I?

Because pork flesh is so similar to human flesh they are not attempting to grow this in a lab to feed people.

This is the first step in learning how to grow human flesh for advanced robotics and eventually human beings themselves.

Let me put it to you this way, since most of starving Africa and Asia is Islamic they sure aren’t growing this stuff for them!

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Yes I agree this does surface here and there through out the years, maybe spreading false hope about 'feeding the world'?

If we have to resort to meat grown in a lab to feed the world then we will know that we have failed as a species, failed all other species and failed planet earth and mother nature.

It's not just unnatural but it is anti-planet earth and just another step in the wrong direction. But that's just my opinion. I had to say something about this.
Ugh.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm I really don’t think they are going to top Soylent Green for convenience, texture or price!

I really don’t think they intend to feed us this homegrown pork either.

Pork became a staple favorite of the freshly converted South American and Central America Indians for one reason.

It is reputed to be the closest tasting thing to human flesh! This is also why Jews and Muslims are not allowed to eat pork.

Like Marijuana use leads to Heroin use, Pork addiction leads to Human Flesh Addiction.

Pardon me a moment while I open another delicious tasty box of affordable Soylent Green I absolutely can not get enough of this stuff.

Anyway where was I?

Because pork flesh is so similar to human flesh they are not attempting to grow this in a lab to feed people.

This is the first step in learning how to grow human flesh for advanced robotics and eventually human beings themselves.

Let me put it to you this way, since most of starving Africa and Asia is Islamic they sure aren’t growing this stuff for them!

I've never thought of that!
That is just as creepy... Wait, are these scientists also putting time and energy into helping feed the world or are they just worried about replacing limbs of the wealthy?

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MetalCoffeeL

Well lets put it this way there is no shortage of cheap natural food to feed the poor and the starving they sure aren't going to spend billions learning to grow pork that most of the poor and starving can't even eat because of their religious edicts!

The rich though do have requirements that the poor tax payer's get to help fulfill.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Copperflower

The replicator !!! its going to be real ??? I asked because I have dreamt of it many years ago, ... and wrote some of it into a thread over a year ago, .... its the third to last reply in this thread :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

"The most interesting thing about this trip was shopping. ..... I thought of a store, ... immediately shot there. Looked around, .... I saw a sweater I liked, ... so tried it on. Which is simply thinking about trying it on. .... Peoples online signature must contain vital infomation, like measurement size and payment info .... because it was rendered on my body in a second, .... and when I decided to buy it ... it wasn't even verbal, ... it was simply a thought.
... The cool thing is ... when I got home and jacked out, ..... my sweater was already home ..... on some kind of circular device. As if created out of thin air ..... like the machine was able to read, and assemble anything out of stored atoms. "

it's frightening to see dreams come to fruition, because the last few i've had of the future are terrifying. Perhaps I'll work them into a thread, but do you have more info on this home replicator ??

also Stem Cell's = Deliciousness.

top topics

join