It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"War deserter released from U.S. prison"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Today a war deserter who had fled to Canada to escape having to be deployed to Iraq has been released from jail.

Cliff Cronell, who believes that the war is wrong and that he could not kill innocent people fled to Canada for 4 years before being sent back to the US to be tried and jailed.

I know that this also happened during the Vietnam war, actually many of my teachers in college were deserters or people escaping the draft, but my questions are the following:

Isn't there a conscientious objector clause where you don't have to fight?
Why do people enlist if they don't want to fight?
What do you think of other countries who accept deserters?

Peace,

Magnum

[edit on 10/1/16 by Magnum007]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I don't believe any government should force its citizens to kill others, or to die themselves. I think the government has the right to sue Cliff Cronwell for the cost of his training, but not to make him fight.
However it's never logicaly-just to punish people, severely, for doing what they believe is the right thing. People should only be punished when they know what they are doing is wrong. Otherwise they are either mentally ill, or political, and obviously in Cronwell's case it's political.
Any government representative of today's society would be proud to possess people like him. The fact he is one of so few, out of a huge U.S. military, shows you he is a good man, just with outstanding qualities.

join