It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seeking Info to Join Masonic Lodge in GA

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Hi all im new to the site but have read some previous posts I was wondering if any of the masonic brothers could offer any advice on a specific lodge or temple in Georgia. I am not a member yet and do not require to know any of the proceedings, I also know how to join. What I am looking for is any advice about a lodge that truly cares for how the traditions are presented. I know this might be difficult to judge or find out, but for me I dont think it would be as easy as knocking on the lodge door and asking if they cared. I joined my college fraternity and my chapter took great pride in presenting all of our ritual information and it continues to have a profound impact daily on my life. I am looking for the same kind of experience when it comes to joining a lodge. I dont want to join one that only sticks their hand out for money and then directs me to a bookshelf and allows me to study for myself for all purposes intended. I hope this brings out some good results. Thanks for any help in advance.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
What part of Georgia do you reside in, and what fraternity to you belong to? I know of a couple Masonic Lodges in Georgia but my recomendation of them would be contingent upon more details from you, as they are a little out of the way.

Do you know any Masons in Georgia? If so I would speak to them and pose this question as well.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 09:58 AM
link   
S&C,

All the Lodges of the Grand Lodge of Georgia are required to perform the degrees in the same way. All the Officers of all the Masonic Lodges under the Grand Lodge of Georgia receive the same training every year and usually on a continuing basis. Most Grand Lodges require that a candidate for the degrees join the Lodge in his city on at least one that is very close by. If you know a Mason in your area then you may ask him which Lodge in your area does the degree work better then the others but you still may have to join the Lodge that is in your city. Check the website of The Grand Lodge of Georgia to see about the locations of the Lodges in your area.

Good Luck

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I am in Middle Georgia around the Macon Area. Also, I joined Kappa Sigma in college. I only know of a few scattered members

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
If you are looking for one that is old, here is one over 100 years old... www.masons.bestofpickens.com...

It also looks like the grand lodge itself is in Macon.
www.glofga.org...

Actually, I would suggest to go and talk with them about their beliefs and ways of doing things.

After all, they will be your brothers, make sure you are comfortable there. I am sure you will lke most you go to though.

[Edited on 26-5-2004 by JCMinJapan]

[Edited on 26-5-2004 by JCMinJapan]

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
As far as each lodge being required to perform them in the same manner, that I dont doubt, what I am looking for is a lodge where the members have somewhat the same mindset of someone like Masonic Light where they see the ritual as something important not just a chore that has to be taken care of to get new members in. I hope this allows everyone to follow me better. BTW I checked out the GLofGA website...very interesting and it gave me a listing of Lodges in Macon. But I still wouldnt know how to approach the situation of finding out whether the lodge was "worth a crap" persay. Please dont let that last statement offend anyone, it was never ment to do so. Simply to illustrate a point. Thanks for any help.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Well, I don't know how it works over there. But here in the UK, you can become a joining member of any lodge once you're actually in. You just pay your dues and you are as much a member as anyone else of that lodge.

I wouldn't worry too much about the ritual aspects at the moment. Just concentrate on joining.
In all likelihood, you will find that any lodge you join will contain at least some members who are interested in the same thing as you.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Good fortune, I just attended Lodge in Georgia last week. Lawrenceville #131, a fine Lodge, active, a JW who knows his duties (let the uninitiated mull over that one). It is a bit of a trek from Macon, but I would bet that you could find similar Fellowship nearby. One small detail, Georgia is a F&AM Grand Lodge, but there are several AF&AM Lodges within the state. I am from a AF&AM Grand Lodge, and this caused a bit of a ruckus. We use convoluted language, and are maybe a little more stiff (the Tyler's Oath is public, we like to do it the hard way, it was the JD turn and he'd never been through it with our catechism). After being examined, and found worthy, they told me about the Ancient Lodges, they do things differently, and we'll leave it at that. I am glad to hear of your interest, this is a matter most serious, a Candidate for Light should be sure his desire is pure in nature, good luck.

p.s. L, we have associate membership as well.

[Edited on 26-5-2004 by Mirthful Me]

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Star_and_Crescent
what I am looking for is a lodge where the members have somewhat the same mindset of someone like Masonic Light where they see the ritual as something important not just a chore that has to be taken care of to get new members in.

Well, I can definately understand that. Here in Japan, I have 9 yes, 9 lodges just in Tokyo/Yokohama.... They are from Grand Lodge of the Phillipines, Grand Lodge of Japan, Grand Lodge of Scotland, Grand Lodge of Massechussets and Prince Hall..... I went to a lodge and talked with them. They actually explained about each lodge to me. I asked the differences and they were very up front. I decided with the Grand Lodge of Scotland, as they were more formal... Tuxedo or Formal Dress Required.... They said that they were very traditional and were serious to keep it as rewarding not only for the Candidate, but for the members as well. Remember the ceremonies are not only for the candidate.. You will understand this more dring it.
But, my father was a mason and I asked him the same question you are asking now. I did not want to just be a member, I want to be as active as possible. He told me just to ask straight. I explained that I wanted to learn and be a, active member of the one that I joined. They sat down with me an explained the ones they knew and said that they would supply me with contacts of others if I wanted. But, after hearing about the Grand Lodge of Scotland, I decided that I would go with that one. In our Lodge, we share with of the Grand Lodge of Japan Lodges. I think that you will ge honest answers if you ask the questions. Explain what you want and they proobably know the other bretheren in the area and they will point you in the right direction.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me

I am from a AF&AM Grand Lodge, and this caused a bit of a ruckus.

What's the difference between AF&AM and F&AM, if you don't mind me asking

[Edited on 27-5-2004 by TgSoe]

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TgSoe
[ What's the difference between AF&AM and F&AM, if you don't mind me asking

No problem at all, I will defer to these to links until ML has a chance to respond, and really set the record straight. The one thing that I will say that I don't feel comes out of the two articles is that the AF&AM language of ritual is convoluted and difficult, whereas the F&AM seems more natural and normal.

web.mit.edu..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Link 1

Link 2

[Edited on 27-5-2004 by Mirthful Me]

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Man, I am going to get so lynched if I ever visit an American Rite Lodge... up here, I am from a Canadian Rite Lodge, which is the type (we have two in this jurisdiction) that is less like the American Version. Our S's are different from yours, and we give the T's differently as well. I understand that our W may be different, and our Master's W is completely different! (We have two Master's W's instead of one). All I can think to do is photocopy my Master Mason's certificate and bring it with me if I ever visit an American Lodge.

A serious question, though... JCMinJapan, you seemed shocked that there were 9 Lodges in Tokyo/Yokohama... is it usual in your home country from there to be only one Lodge per city? My hometown, Edmonton, is fairly small, but I'm sure we must have at least ten Lodges here, not counting the clandestine ones (which I don't know where they are
).

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
AK, we don't lynch visitors who fail examination, far to much "evidence" hanging about. To visit an American Lodge it will be best to have a current dues card, proficiency card (if required by YOUR Grand Lodge, mine does), and have a fair idea of how formal they may be (I have erred both ways, my recent visit in Georgia I was the only person in a coat and tie). Also, here it is not considered rude to ask to see the Lodge's Charter or Warrant during examination, make sure a Bible is handy, ask for it. I eschew the "Tyler�s Oath" as being in public domain, and go straight to OFF or FROM. Finally, if you get in a jam, call me, I'll be more than happy to vouch for your clandestine status.

[Edited on 27-5-2004 by Mirthful Me]

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Thanks, MM... I always knew I could count on you to support a brother reptile.

Here's the problem, though... in the Canadian Rite, we don't even have OFF and FROM! We do it in a completely differnt way. Kooky! Plus, if they get concerned, and ask me the Master's W, they're going to get more than they bargained for (an extra W). I only discovered this a few days ago, when I was visiting a York Rite Lodge. Fortunately, I informed all the candidates as to what the "proper" W was, so they don't look silly in front of all my Canadian Rite brethren.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Heh!!! What have you guys got secretaries for?
Over here in the UK, if I want to visit anyone outside of my Province I ask the secretary to phone ahead for me. I've never once asked to be proved. I guess that's a bit of a shame, but here in the UK, even Provinces do things differently and it saves the embarrasment. We carry a certificate from GL at all times though and this is normally as good a way of proving yourself as any.

Also, if we visit in another country, we must inform our Grand Lodge first.

As for the number of Lodges in a town? My city has a population of around 300,000. There are well over 30 lodges here.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlexKennedy
A serious question, though... JCMinJapan, you seemed shocked that there were 9 Lodges in Tokyo/Yokohama... is it usual in your home country from there to be only one Lodge per city? My hometown, Edmonton, is fairly small, but I'm sure we must have at least ten Lodges here, not counting the clandestine ones (which I don't know where they are
).

Well, actually, I am an American Living in Japan. The reason I say that it is not normal over here is that most are foreigners that are in them. There are of course Japanese, but they are the minority. Japanese like to conform, and masonry is not mainstream over here. So, considering this, 9 is quite alot... now, I am only talking about english speaking lodges also. But, the thing that is very different are the Grand Lodges themselves. Not too many places have this many Districts in one area. There are only lodges in the larger cities here....... Actually, only about 6 or 7 cities...

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller
Also, if we visit in another country, we must inform our Grand Lodge first.

We have to do the same thing as well with the GL of Scotland.... If I want to visit another lodge, I have to write the Grand Lodge of Scotland and let them know and they will arrange everything. Quite a good way to do thing... As, long as you have the w & g then you will be ok and dues card, you are cool over here.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller
Heh!!! What have you guys got secretaries for?
Over here in the UK, if I want to visit anyone outside of my Province I ask the secretary to phone ahead for me. I've never once asked to be proved.

L, my secretary gets me coffee, and answers phones, and I drop a lot of stuff on the floor, and when she bends... whoa! You mean the stern fellow at the Lodge who hands out dues cards (he can't ask me for money, I'm Endowed), and reels off those endless communications? Oh, that guy. Well here he can't vouch for you, but he can grease the skids. I like going in cold turkey, just for the experience. Get that "Old Time Traveling Man" feel for different Lodges.

[Edited on 28-5-2004 by Mirthful Me]

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
AK i am thinking of joining, can u tell me if there are any special requiments to join. o, and is there a age limit or you have to be in a certan Religious to join etc...

thanks

link to all the lodges www.freemasons.ab.ca...

[Edited on 28-5-2004 by the end is near]

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by the end is near
AK I am thinking of joining, can you tell me if there are any special requirements to join. o, and is there an age limit or do you have to be in a certain Religion to join etc...

thanks

link to all the lodges www.freemasons.ab.ca...

[Edited on 28-5-2004 by the end is near]

I know you asked this of AK but: a little more info would be helpful such as in what Country and/or State do you reside? In California you are required to be at least 18 years of age, be of good standing (no Felonies, etc...) and believe in a "Supreme Being". No religious affiliation is required. You have to be the one to ask for an application and it helps to know a Mason or two but it is not required. You will be interviewed and your background will be checked.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join