It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For $65, tourists get peek at Los Angeles gangland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

For $65, tourists get peek at Los Angeles gangland

apnews.myway.com

Only miles from the scenic vistas and celebrity mansions that draw sightseers from around the globe - but a world away from the glitz and glamour - a bus tour is rolling through the dark side of the city's gang turf.

Passengers paying $65 a head Saturday signed waivers acknowledging they could be crime victims and put their fate in the hands of tattooed ex-gang members who say they have negotiated a cease-fire among rivals in the most violent gangland in America.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
This is yet another example of the enlightment we are currently experiencing in American society. We are now treating people in horrible circumstances like a side-show or like animals in a zoo.

"Hop on the bus and see where the gangs live!"

"Take a look over there! That building with all of the crack addicts standing in front used to be a school!"

"There is a police car. Did you know that there are more police per square mile in this part of Los Angeles than in any other part of the US?"

"Over there folks you see just a few of the young children who should be in school, but spend their time on the streets, mostly running drugs for the gangs."

This is a new low and anyone who would consider going on such a "tour" should be ashamed of themselves.

Whats next, a sitcom based in Dafur?

apnews.myway.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
This is just crazy. Sure, why not sensationalize gangbangers?

Maybe after the tour is over, for an extra $65 bucks they can teach a class on how to become a gangbanger.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Can I learn to shoot sideways too?

Agreed, this is a new high in lows for America.
Maybe we should have bus tours where us poor folk get see how the bankers and wall street bigshots live?

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
During the Hippie Hayday in San Francisco little old ladies used to go on bus tours of Haite Ashbury to see the pot smoking, free love hippies.

It's actually good to see how other people live and become more aware of the differences in the vast sea of humanity.

It leads to breaking down stereotypes and misconceptions and broadens one's perspective.

Plus obviously the gang members are profiting off of it at 65.00 a head which is why the truce was negotiated.

The gangs leaders will all get a cut.

This is highway robbery the civilized way!

Lighten up would you, everyone has to make a living!

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
this is not a new practice. its called slumming and has been going on since the 1800s. think gangs of new york. some famous slummers include charles dickens among others.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I guess the worst case would be the ghetto trash idiots see this as some path to petty fame and decide to play it up.

Best case would be these morons finally get it through their heads what an absurd sideshow they are being the punchline of everyone elses joke and evolve a hair past poo flinging for pellets.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
This so pathetic I mean as a resident of Los Angeles I should be outrage about this people being treated like it's zoo time

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schleprock
This is just crazy. Sure, why not sensationalize gangbangers?

Maybe after the tour is over, for an extra $65 bucks they can teach a class on how to become a gangbanger.

Nah they would never do that unless you prove yourself otherwise. In fact I was asked once to join a gang one time by I decline the offer

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Very soon they'll arrange for you to kill and bring home a trophy from there, for a fair price...

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
It is run by ex gang members from what i've read. According to the guy that started it he hopes that by doing these tours he'll bring in other revenue to the area's they visit, legal revenue obviously. At least from what i've read of the interview with the guy he seems like he's trying to do this for the right reasons. He said that he employee's ex gang members in order to try and give some of these guys a legitimate job. Also they prohibit the people taking part to take photos or video to protect the people that live in those area's privacy.

Not sure if it's good or bad, only time will tell on that one.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
An ex gang member told them there was a cease fire and they believed it? The only reason I might believe that is the fact that these stupid rich people pay $65 apiece and the leader[s] of these gangs get a cut. These tour buses after all are driving through their "turf".

The cease fire though , if there really is one , will be called off immediatly when a major drug deal goes bad. It happens all the time. It's just a matter of time before the "tour bus"
gets caught in the crossfire and their precious waivers of responsibility mean nothing when the passengers are in the hospital or morgue.

There are more police cars there than any other city for a reason. It's a hole. An extremely dangerous hole. I've lived in ghettos before and I can tell you from personal experience that people who live there don't care you are or where you come from if you don't belong there. If you don't belong there, you're not going to stay very long or come back often.

This particular "slumming" practice isn't going to last very long. I can guarentee it. And when it ends, it aint gonna be pretty.

Just my 2 cents Peace

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Reminds me of that video, "Thuggin it and Lovin it" which attempts to glorify gang violence, thug life, money, weapons, and sex.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
What's next ..

Pay 100 and watch people get killed ??
Pay 200 and get to kill somebody ??

Are we evolving ?? .. i can't tell

[edit on 16-1-2010 by Polynomial C]

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Well this is a very interesting headline.

What this headline signifies is further saturation of gangland into the mainstream.

Star and Flag.

TAI

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Polynomial C
What's next ..

Pay 100 and watch people get killed ??
Pay 200 and get to kill somebody ??

Are we evolving ?? .. i can't tell
[edit on 16-1-2010 by Polynomial C]

Actually you don't need LA for that, human trafficking makes it a world-wide entertainment business. Unfortunately, alleged war criminals like Saddam, Bin Laden etc. are a bigger priority than exposing human exploitation network.

new topics

top topics

join