It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Christian Right Madman Suggests Haiti Deserved Earthquake

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Actually- I remember someone spouting off that 911 WAS America's sinfulness catching up to us, but I cant remember who... Oh, wait. Falwell. Why, yes- America WAS blamed for 9/11

Looks like Robertson was once again doing his thing.

[edit on 18-1-2010 by wylekat]

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
These same mad men create most religions. Sad state we find ourselves in as a supposed modern society. We still believe in silly myths! We even have leaders who think they are on a path set forth by these fairy tails.

It really trips me out seeing supposedly intelligent people who still by in to the laughable ancient religions.

Some day we need to find a way to let everyone of the hook like we do Santa and the Esther Bunny.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

it is all faith, regardless if you have faith in the spiritual aspect or not

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by InertiaZero
Yet another great religious thinker has joined Pat Robertson in pondering the most important question about the tragedy in Haiti: whether or not the 7.0 earthquake that has killed thousands and devastated the country's infrastructure was the act of a vengeful God.

Only problem with this story is that Pat Robertson never said that the Haitian quake was brought about by a "vengeful God"... Show me where he said it. The implication of his statement was that Haiti is cursed not by God — because God doesn't "curse" nations or people — but by the Devil.

Robertson never said God was responsible for the quake.

Here's the official response from Robertson's CBN site:

CBN.com – VIRGINIA BEACH, Va., January 13, 2010 --On today’s The 700 Club, during a segment about the devastation, suffering and humanitarian effort that is needed in Haiti, Dr. Robertson also spoke about Haiti’s history. His comments were based on the widely-discussed 1791 slave rebellion led by Boukman Dutty at Bois Caiman, where the slaves allegedly made a famous pact with the devil in exchange for victory over the French. This history, combined with the horrible state of the country, has led countless scholars and religious figures over the centuries to believe the country is cursed. Dr. Robertson never stated that the earthquake was God’s wrath. If you watch the entire video segment, Dr. Robertson’s compassion for the people of Haiti is clear. He called for prayer for them. His humanitarian arm has been working to help thousands of people in Haiti over the last year, and they are currently launching a major relief and recovery effort to help the victims of this disaster. They have sent a shipment of millions of dollars worth of medications that is now in Haiti, and their disaster team leaders are expected to arrive tomorrow and begin operations to ease the suffering.

Chris Roslan
Spokesman for CBN

The condemnation of Pat Robertson is just more anti-Christian Left-wing propaganda.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 1/18/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

if he didn't say it, why did CBN have to print a retraction and an explanation of what he said in the first place? hmmm?

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
if he didn't say it, why did CBN have to print a retraction and an explanation of what he said in the first place? hmmm?

Show me where CBN printed a retraction. They didn't.

Any time Robertson says anything, a whole crusade of Left-wingers issue statements condemning the evangelist. That's how this "controversy" was started in the first place. Are you saying that Robertson has no right to answer his accusers?

I'd answer the accusations, too. But I wouldn't "retract" what I said. Robertson didn't "retract" anything, either.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Press release

*sigh* Nuff said.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Press release

*sigh* Nuff said.

You just linked to the same press release that I posted above. That's not a "retraction"... At no point does it say, Dr. Robertson regrets what he said and apologizes and retracts his statement.

Rather, it says, Dr. Robertson never stated that the earthquake was God’s wrath. Which is a statement of fact. It reinforces the fact of what Robertson actually said.

Now, where did the controversy arise? It arose from Lefty God-haters misrepresenting what Robertson actually said. Where are the apologies and retractions from the Lefty God-haters who have created a controversy where there was none?

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I'm not getting in an argument with you about this. you see what you see- the rest of us, see what we see. I only can add the considerable abuse and lies I have personally been thru from 'Christians'. His statements said God's wrath and Haiti, and there's no blinking the fact. The sermons are a little bit God, 3/4 'gimme gimme gimme'. I have been to a LIVE one- a little God, a LOT of 'gimme gimme gimme'. Anything that comes out of the mouths of these 'people' (see also the 9/11 link I provided, k?) smacks of nothing but profit *for them*. I dont give a crap about their political leanings, What I am going on about is what they are- which is evil and personal profit. If you cant see that, then I'm sorry. Go back to watching that tripe.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Jesus and the bible warns all this stuff will happen,not sure why Pat Robertson and some of these christian right wingers don't just say all this stuff is going to happen according to Jesus.I think it is absurd to say God does it do them because they are evil and not believers.It is their greedy government that makes the places 100 times worse than they would be when natural disasters happen.
As I stated all this stuff is prophesized to happen anyways,would be wise for Pat Robertson and other christian right wingers to remember the scripture when this stuff happens.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

I'm not getting in an argument with you about this. you see what you see- the rest of us, see what we see....His statements said God's wrath and Haiti, and there's no blinking the fact.

Except that you're lying, and the "facts" you're embracing are the lies that you want to be true.

Robertson never said the Haitian earthquake was the "wrath" of God. Show me where he said it. Show me the word "wrath," show me the word "vengeance" in Robertson's transcript.

You can't because the words were not uttered.

Here's the transcript of Robertson's remarks on the Haitian earthquake:

"Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it. They were under the heel of the French. You know, Napoleon III, or whatever. And they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, we will serve you if you'll get us free from the French. True story. And so, the devil said, okay it's a deal. Ever since, they have been cursed by one thing after the other."

Show me the word "God"... Show me the word "wrath"... Show me the word "vengeance"... You can't, because they're not in there.

In short, you're lying about Robertson's actual quote.

Robertson said they — historical figures in Haiti's past — made a "pact with the Devil" and they (the Haitian people) have been cursed ever since.

Cursed by the Devil. NOT cursed by God.

The only thing you want to see and believe is something that never took place. So you're living and defending a lie. Shame on you.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Robertson stated that the Haitians made a pact with the devil to become free of the French.

And since then they have been beset by tragedies, and that their lack of prosperity compared to their neighbour has stemmed from that.

Frankly, almost all the ex-French colonies are less prosperous than their neighbours. The ex-Spanish ones are often corrupt self-hating outhouses.

The implication that these people - who are mostly Catholic - are being tortured by the Devil for purported pact made by a couple of people many decades ago is insane and cruel.

I want Pat Robertson over their digging the screaming, wounded children buried under their schools out. Let me see him personally fighting the work of the Devil.

His implication that Godliness bring Prosperity is gross. Popular, and it shows so much hubris in the face of the actual stories of Jesus I am surprised that such people can live with themselves.

His idea that children suffer due to a supposed spiritual error on the part of people they've never known is disgusting.

That further when most of the population is Christian, his underlying message is that they have not made peace with God because they have chosen not HIS type of Christianity is even more disgusting.

I find the man abhorrent.

[edit on 2010/1/18 by Aeons]

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
I want Pat Robertson over their digging the screaming, wounded children buried under their schools out. Let me see him personally fighting the work of the Devil.

Robertson's organization has been working in Haiti, bringing millions of dollars in food and medicine and relief, long before this earthquake struck last week.

What have YOU all done to help Haiti directly?

His implication that Godliness bring Prosperity is gross.

One Nation Under God... The United States is the most prosperous nation in the history of the world.

In God We Trust... The United States is the most prosperous nation in the history of the world.

I'd say that what we know is that faith in God does produce prosperity, as much as the atheists out there may hate to admit it.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
What you are saying is so flies in the face of the message of Jesus, that I am surprised that you don't explode.

The health-wealth-prosperity is God's favour people are ..... obscene.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

What you are saying is so flies in the face of the message of Jesus, that I am surprised that you don't explode.

HOW does it "fly in the face of the message of Jesus"?

You have no idea what you're talking about.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Right now, this very moment, the God-haters out there are winding up to brand me "another Christian Right Madman"... LOL

Except that I'm NOT. I know Christians who think and believe that I am the Devil, in no uncertain terms.

All I do is point out the LIES wherever they're being told. This applies to Bible-thumping theist lies and God-hating atheist lies alike.

You people make me want to vomit, you're so sanctimonious.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
What I posted is what he said.

You aren't the Devil - but you aren't a follower of God either.

You worship at a altar of self-righteous, self-serving message, with a hubris which is awe-inspiring in its absolute conviction of personal grandeur, I cannot fathom how you live with yourself.

If the message you claim was actually in contained in the message of Jesus, like a God of some fantasy novel's capitalist God, I would think you could say and believe, what Pat and you are espousing, would at least be consistent and show some integrity. Gross integrity, but at least integrity.

That you do so, in absolute contradiction to the message contained in stories and example of Jesus leaves me with nothing but the most profound amazement in your ability to hide from yourself your own selfishness.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

What I posted is what he said.

No, I posted the transcript of what he said, which doesn't say anything about the "wrath of God"... You have posted your misinterpretations and misrepresentations and your hatred of Pat Robertson.

You aren't the Devil - but you aren't a follower of God either.

How DARE you judge me. You've never met me, you know nothing of my works. How DARE you judge me. Does your self-righteous judgment not "fly in the face of the message of Jesus"??... What a hypocrite.

You worship at a altar of self-righteous, self-serving message, with a hubris which is awe-inspiring in its absolute conviction of personal grandeur, I cannot fathom how you live with yourself.

I deal with you sanctimonious, holier-than-thou nags every day, and I cast you aside, one after another. That's how much your opinion and your feeble judgment means to me. Or anybody else. Remember that the next time you look in the mirror — IF you CAN look in the mirror.

(audience roars in agreement)

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

You know, I still don't know what to think of this other than what I stated in my first post to this thread a few days ago. I am also ignorant regarding the 'pact with the devil' that Haiti was supposed to have made (never heard of it so I'm staying out of it). However, I was talking to my mother about this yesterday and asked her what she thought of the whole Haiti/Robertson episode.

She brings up a good point. You want to talk about self righteousness and hubris, look at all the people who lash out in general when the topic of judgment comes up. To me, that is hubris to think how dare you towards a supreme being if mankind is judged.

Whatever happened in Haiti, I'm still standing by my original admission that I have no idea. However, I do believe that we can be judged by God in a general sense. Every time I admit that opinion, I am met with posts like THIS.

IMO, that is an example of hubris and the 'Who is God' mentality in that He would even think about judging us awesome humans.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Are you suggesting that your God holds little children to blame for things done by those whom they've never met on the basis of.....looking similar.

Fascinating. Do tell more.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join