It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something about Haiti that you need to know about

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

You must not be from New York. I new york we don't call them African American or Black. We call them by their name. I'm known by my name, not my race. There's some backwards places, but often that's just the way it is.

Oh, and it's never noble when the black panther's march. I've never seen one. Know why? Because they'd be yelled at. Now when people march from race crime, ok that's expected. But just cause? nope.

And yes they were born here, but blacks have developed their own culture here. There's just one problem. Today Anglo Saxons only make up, like, 9% of the nation. These are where most of the former slave owners come from. The nation is some 12.5% black. When African Americans celebrate their culture in America, for all intensive purposes, it's a derivative of southern culture. Granted that this culture has produced new things such as jazz and such, but for the most part it is part of the anglo saxon culture. So while it has been labeled African American, when you look at the development, it comes from southern Anglo Saxons.

Such cultural celebrations today are known as "country", like country music.

So, when black celebrate their culture, in many ways they are celebrating Anglo Saxon culture from the south as well. Because that's their roots. Only within the last 30 years has this culture split off into rap and "gangstas". Which for the record, is not African American culture. It is a mixture of a crap load of cultures. They can claim it all they want, but this is wrong. Poetry, as it appears in rap, comes from England. rap music itself is not entirely African.

So African American cultural celebrations are not really racial. They are nationality wise. And just as blacks have their own American-born nationalism, so too do the Anglo Saxons. Don't tell me you don't see this. Waving confederate flags, nascar, cattle, cowboys, country music. It's a culture. A nationality within America, routed from elsewhere.

And for further not, white is not generalized. It is noted to be Caucasian, yes. But in places like New York, we most certainly have division of white. Latino white, Irish white, Italian, Greek, Russian, European Spanish, Albanian, Israeli, Caucasian Palestinian, German, Polish, French.... The list is long, very long. And hardly just "white". African Americans are just "black" because most of them do not know their true origins from slavery. But rest assured modern African immigrants are proud Ethiopians, Sudanese, South Africans, Nigerians, Ranwadi, Morcco, Egyptian.... onward and onward.

So to reiterate, there is not one group of people not celebrated in America. Each have their nationalities celebrated in their own ways.

It's not PC. Because I assure you, most modern African immigrants do not label themselves African American. They label themselves nationalistically.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

What you fail (or refuse) to realize is that just because *you* see the world in one way, doesn't mean that this is the way the majority of its inhabitants view it.

I'm speaking about the way the world is as a whole, you're telling me about your perspective.

Well, as Carly Simon would say - this song ain't about you. There is a huge movement in this country that says its okay for black people to be racist, but not okay for whites.

Im not asking for the "right" to be racist, im just asking that people not hold things against me that i never did.

I never owned slaves.
I never persecuted a black person.

Just because someone, a few hundred years ago, did, doesn't mean im guilty so don't treat me like it.

I dont like it when tragedies happen, like in Haiti, and "the man" gets the blame.

The United States didn't make Haiti poor. They were that way to begin with. What should we do? Send them aid?

Well, the same people saying "send Haiti aid" now are the same people who were complaining that the Bush administration was sending Aid to Iraq.

Remember the poor Iraqi's who needed our help? Where were the bleeding hearts then?

Its all about politics, and most people (usually hardcore liberals) hide behind a veil of "politically correct' racially motivated rhetoric that says "white people treat black people badly"

and i refuse to accept it.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by Snarf]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

But that whole list has nothing do so with what we were discussion.

Also, It's not OK for black people to be racist. The last few years has seen a dramatic abandonment of affirmative action and such things. Cokely Just lost Massachusetts because she told Catholics they shouldn't be in the emergency room because of their religion.

Maybe it hasn't hit wherever you are. But nationally people are rejecting these things you list as PC. PC is dead in more ways then not, and it's on its way out. I've never really seen much favoritism to any race. In college, the rule of thumb is to have students in the percentage of their make up of the nation.

That's just the way it is. I'm sorry for wherever you are, perhaps you should do something about it. But try and hire a black guy purely for his race today, and you will be sued.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

Affirmative action is completely unfair. I sometimes wonder if Obama's success was the result of affirmative action.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Great post thank you S&F..

open.salon.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

S&F OP, very nice post
Second line.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Just a curious question on a somehow personal level.
Do you own a passport? When was the last time you was abroad and it wasn't in the Americas?
What's your perception of the world outside the internet?

Thanks in advance.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join