It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Noah's ark ? How ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I think that if you beleive in the biblical accounts of the Flood then you have to beleive that the whole act was a MIRACLE (or an act of God). That is really the only way one can take literally the accounts of the building of the ark, the gathering and controling of the animals and the ability to survice the whole incident at all. If you can't accept it was a miracle and you choose to take everything that the Bible says about this subject at face value then you are probably not beleiving in the right story.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller
Sure it would be a problem. Even if the land masses were connected it would still be a massive journey to collect different species. They wouldn't all live in the same place. Different species require different climates, habitats, food sources, etc.
They wouldn't all be sitting there on Noah's doorstep.

I still see no problem, that's where faith comes into being. Before the flood with the ring of water around the earth a "greenhouse" climate was over the entire earth. Every kind of animal could live anywhere on the earth. All land animals before the flood were vegetarian(Gen.1:30). Even today dogs and bears and I've even seen lions on geographic specials eat grass at times, why do you think they do this, because it was once in their nature. Incidently when Christ returns all animals will go back to being vegetarian(Isaiah 11:6-9)Noah didn't have to go get any of the animals. Genesis 7:15 tells us that they "went" in unto Noah into the ark. Get a Strong's concordance of the Bible. Went can mean beseige, bring to pass, to come upon, even invade. After the flood the "wildness" came upon animals and God told Noah he could then begin eating animals for food.(Gen. 9:2-3). People limit God. I'm not telling you about a small god, I'M SHOUTING TO YOU ABOUT AN AWESOME GOD.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by zero_snaz
Have you noticed the ages of people in the Bible? Pre-flood almost everyone lived 500+ years, then after the flood the age began to drop off quit rapidly until it reached about 75-100 years.

One theory is that before the flood there was a heavy water canopy surrounding the earth which produced conditions that were more conducive to life (better climate, higher air pressure, etc).

edit: D'oh! Didn't see previous post. Sorry.

[edit on 9-6-2004 by Groo the Wanderer]

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Believing that God can do anything, I am sure he helped noah during the 40 days n nights....And whoever said God told us everything?...

he told us whaT HE THOUGHT WE NEEDED TO KNOW, NOT WHAT WE THINK...ECT..

You either have faith or you don't....again anyone hear of any expeditons on ararat ?....aug 15th?

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 04:00 AM
link   
There is a difference between faith and blindfaith.

Look at the Epic of Giglamesh. Look at scientific evidence. Look at the actual Biblical story.

Noah is a symbolic story. Nothing more.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nans DESMICHELS
Have you seen the dimensions of Noah's ark ?

Noah's Ark was taller than a 3-story building and had a deck area the size of 36 lawn tennis courts. Its length was 300 cubits (450 feet, or 135 meters); its width was 50 cubits (75 feet, or 22.5 meters); it had three stories and its height was 30 cubits (45 feet, or 13.5 meters).

How do you think he did for make it only in 7 days ?

It was a space ship for sailing the oceans of heaven. So sayeth LtR

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nans DESMICHELS
Have you seen the dimensions of Noah's ark ?

Noah's Ark was taller than a 3-story building and had a deck area the size of 36 lawn tennis courts. Its length was 300 cubits (450 feet, or 135 meters); its width was 50 cubits (75 feet, or 22.5 meters); it had three stories and its height was 30 cubits (45 feet, or 13.5 meters).

How do you think he did for make it only in 7 days ?

Even if he did manage to make it in seven days, he probably got help. But that would be a contradiction if I remember correctly that he made the boat all by himself. In that case, it was hard work and dedication to the cause

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 02:42 AM
link   
lleveler, it depends on whosoever writes the history of this planet. it's akin to "1984."

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
If you believe in Noah and the Ark, then you believe in God right?
God who created EVERYTHING, right?

If my logic is correct then ..God..who created EVERYTHING..would have no trouble helping Noah build a boat.Right?

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   
DNA folks, DNA
he had the DNA.
but if that kinda thinking is too far 'out there' for ya, try imagining something a little more closer to home.
animals survived the flood all over the place! exponentially, it wouldn't take but a couple of each to repopulate. DUH!
or DNA, your choice.
choose wisely...

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   
oh, and like god needs anyone to build a boat for him anyways, jesus, he can create the earth in 6 days and he asks an old man to build an ark. like god needs an ark! HA that makes me LOL.
i pray for the people who's god is so small.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 04:25 AM
link   
AD5673 - There is no misstranslation in Genesis. And it's not that hard to translate. Why does everyone insist they have a lot to say when they don't even bother to read the document they're presenting their opinions on?

penginkun has already pointed this out, this is what happens in the Bible as quoted thence. In Chapter 6 we read that God instructs noah to construct an Ark and gather all the animals and food.

"Noah did everything just as God commanded him." (Genesis 6:22)

THEN in chapter 7 we have (and this is the only mention of a 7 day period before the flood in the Noah account):

"The LORD then said to Noah, "Go into the ark, you and your whole family, because I have found you righteous in the generation. (...) Seven days from now I will send rain on the earth for forty days and forty nights, and I will wipe from the face of the earth every living creature I have made." (Genesis 7:1,4)

Someone who had been lazy read only this fragment and decided God was giving only 7 days for the construction of the ark.

Leveller - The The animals were most likely lead by God's Spirit to the Ark. Many of the specific niche adaptations we see in todays animals would have been a post flood phenomenon as pre-flood environments were likely a lot more uniform. Which means animals wouldn't have had problems surviving their journeys to the ark. (I think someone mentions this later somewhere.)

The salt/fresh water is probably also a post-diluvian adaptation. You will find that many fish from those environments can happily survive in the other also. Those that can not probably lost that ability as they were subject to more extreme environmental pressures.

A world wide flood leaving no signature? What about the vast layer of global chalk deposits? Or the grand canyon? I think you should be looking for something a little larger than evidence of a small local flood... if indeed you are looking for any evidence at all.

The epic of Gilgamesh doesn't sound like the original story to me. Last time I checked, Engineers didn't build boats shaped like cubes for a reason.

chakra blue - You need more than just DNA to create an animal.

And the people you speak of don't believe God is small. Only that God has always insisted on our involvement in his plans... that is how he teaches us.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by hetman
[Leveller - The The animals were most likely lead by God's Spirit to the Ark. Many of the specific niche adaptations we see in todays animals would have been a post flood phenomenon as pre-flood environments were likely a lot more uniform. Which means animals wouldn't have had problems surviving their journeys to the ark. (I think someone mentions this later somewhere.)

This is great. When anything defies logic we get the standard "God did it" reply.

The salt/fresh water is probably also a post-diluvian adaptation. You will find that many fish from those environments can happily survive in the other also. Those that can not probably lost that ability as they were subject to more extreme environmental pressures.

Complete and utter rubbish. The seas have been salty since the early days of the Earth.

A world wide flood leaving no signature? What about the vast layer of global chalk deposits? Or the grand canyon? I think you should be looking for something a little larger than evidence of a small local flood... if indeed you are looking for any evidence at all.

There is evidence of a flood - a localised flood in the Euphrates basin. There is no evidence of a global flood. The Grand Canyon is not a flood signature.

The epic of Gilgamesh doesn't sound like the original story to me. Last time I checked, Engineers didn't build boats shaped like cubes for a reason.

Oh? So taking the animals into the boat, the flood, the rainbow, the dove and crow, the olive branch, the ending up on a mountain means that it bears no relation? Even though it is way older than the Bible and comes from the same area as the original Hebrews? "Last time I checked", a boat of the same dimensions as the Ark couldn't float.

I do believe in God. But I don't take the words of men as the final truth. The story of Noah in the Bible was clearly adapted from The Epic of Gilgamesh. The whole point of blind faith is that it makes you just that - blind to the truth.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
You will find that nearly all the Old Testament stories, especially the ones at the beggining, are based on far older Sumerian/Babylonian etc stories. It has been suggested, with evidence to back it up, that the stories have been handed down from generation to generation, and culture to culture. The ancient hebrews spent much of their time early on as captives of the various powers of the time, so it is inevitable that they would incorparate their beliefs into their growing religion. It has also been pointed out that the actual story of jesus, is identical to the ancient Egyptian story of Horus....look it up, very coincidental!
Also, considering the end of the last Ice Age 10000 yrs ago, it isn't inconceivable for a world wide flooding, seeing as it has been proved the sea levels rose worldwide by hundreds of feet...look at the sunken settlements in the black sea, or the strange geometric shapes in the sea off Japan for evidence.
I believe that all religions and beliefs all stem from a far ancient time, a time when man actually built the Pyramids, sphonx, the ancient Andean cities etc. To wholehartedly believe in one religions stories, dismissing all others, and not take into account the ancients way of livening up a story to make it more appealing, I think prevents us all from truly inderstanding what it is we are doing here, and where we came from. God, Aliens, acient civilizations like Atlantis...whatever we believe in ourselves we must keep an open mind to other ideas, and the truth will reveal itself!

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I have been reading the whole noha thread and heres my imput.
First and for most were not just talking two of every animal here. If the world was truly covered to the top of the tallest mountian Everist.
then were talking every animal every insect as most CANT SWIM. AND EVERY plant . If theres anyone here who thinks a tree can live complealty sumerged for 40 days even if it had light think again. And in reality were not talking 40 dayd eather as it was 40 days of rain then the waters had to recide.
So noha had to take two of every type of animal two of every type of insect (you realy think butterflys would have survived ?) two of ever type of seed .( it does take two even in the plant world most of the time lol.)
A boat just one boat? Take every boat built today and try putting all this on them I assure you it could NOT be done .even with a 1000 boats.
Even if it was only the animals you still have all kinds of problems that are impossible to work around. There are more then two cheetes in the world now but there still dying off because of have such a small gen pool.
Ever see what happens when you inbreed?
if any animal falls below a certian poplation leavel it will go extint .
this leavel is alset a 1000 of a type minum . anyless then this inbreeding causes to manny problems.So even if noha did have two of each MOST would not have survived three generations!

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 10:12 PM
link   
The only thing we can say with any certainty about Noah's ark is that it must have stunk enough to rot the nose right off of your face. And cleaning the stalls must have been a bitch.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by dusran
The only thing we can say with any certainty about Noah's ark is that it must have stunk enough to rot the nose right off of your face. And cleaning the stalls must have been a bitch.

Man that's injected some much needed humour into this thread.

IMO, the Noah story is symolic of another event, an invent involving DNA. It's sheer stupidity to think you could keep many thousands of species alive, at sea, fed and watered, for all that time.

Just wouldn't happen.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
rofl bachus, you try too be hard to be the demon of money dont you?

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
....collect two of every kind of animal. There were not that many animals in noah's time where he lived.

obviously, this was still quite a task, but not the worldwide thing we first think of.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 03:49 AM
link   
If the Earth were a perfect sphere, the whole planet would be a 2 mile deep ocean, or so I've heard. As it is, if the earth were the same size as a billiard ball, the Earth would be the smoother of the two objects (both of these assertions are heresay.)
If what I've heard and just related to you is true, then it would take relatively little to flood the Earth. Many accounts include water from the Earth, not only from the sky. Some stories have it that there were great earthquakes before the flood.
A few possible explanations that can be mixed and matched are:
1. A canopy of water vapor that had previously shielded Earth from solar radiation rained down to cause the flood, and afterwards much of that water became deposited in aquifers,
2. By some phenomenon, probably caused by God, the ocean floor was raised considerably, and later fell again.
3. pressurized acquifers were ruptured, flooded the Earth, and then receeded back into the earth's crust.

Also, I'm going to throw out an unfounded what-if for the entertainment of believers and the debunking-pleasure of skeptics...
What if Antarctica's ice was a vestige of this flood, and previously Antarctica had exposed soil? It still would have been permafrost, but it opens up the possibility that there is something under there, and that there could have been a little more of an ecosystem than curently there.
(Don't shoot, i was just playin with the diehard believers, honest!)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join