It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA pledges closer look at chemical bisphenol A in plastics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   

FDA pledges closer look at chemical bisphenol A in plastics

www.boston.com

Acknowledging there is “some concern’’ that a chemical found in baby bottles and infant sipping cups could cause adverse heath effects in children, Food and Drug Administration officials pledged yesterday to study the chemical far more closely but said there was not enough evidence to further regulate it.

As a precaution, the Department of Health and Human Services issued recommendations to consumers yesterday, including one to throw away scratched cups and bottles with Bisphenol A because small amounts of the chemical can seep out and be ingested by children.

Bisphenol A, or BPA,
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I never us to worry all that much about plastics warning, but this report has struck fear in me.. Here's the previous story www.ewg.org... Now I can't eat canned foods till some conclusive comes back. I really wanted some condensed tomato soup.

More than 100 peer-reviewed studies have found BPA to be toxic at low doses, some similar to those found in people, yet not a single regulatory agency has updated safety standards to reflect this low-dose toxicity. FDA estimates that 17% of the U.S. diet comprises canned food; they last examined BPA exposures from food in 1996 but failed to set a safety standard.

www.boston.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

new topics

join