It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Book claims: US thought of confronting Russia over Georgia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Book claims: US thought of confronting Russia over Georgia

macedoniaonline.eu

As Russian tanks rumbled into Georgia in 2008, a post-Cold War turning point was at hand.

George W. Bush’s national security team considered launching air strikes to halt the invasion. Vladimir Putin boasted that he alone could be trusted. And Nicolas Sarkozy badgered Georgia’s leader into signing a cease-fire.
These are just three peeks behind the diplomatic curtain presented in “A Little War That Shook the World,” Ronald D. Asmus’s absorbing account of the five-day clash in the Caucasus".
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
US considered an airstrike? Well I guess Russia will be glad to learn of this about 1.5 years later. This would have definitally change the world forever and Obama would have way more than a ruined economy to worry about, can you say nuclear holocaust? But in the end it all turned out so-so, there was no large scale war and the US never fought Russia so it's all good now.

macedoniaonline.eu
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

George W. Bush’s national security team considered launching air strikes to halt the invasion

Bush/cheney wanted to bomb almost everyone and it's a good thing his advisers persuaded him against it.

[edit on 16-1-2010 by john124]

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by john124

Actually there are many credible people who claim Cheney ran the show from 2001-2005 after Bush won his second term that was actually Bush's first term because 2001-2005 was Cheney's presidency. Cheney also wanted to invade Iran, North Korea, and Syria. Now he is running his mouth constantly about how Obama doesn't believe there is a war on terrorism. Obama, the war mongeror, is sending an additional I think 40,000 troops to Afghanistan but I guess Obama doesn't think there is a war and he is sending them there for tea time. Cheney is the biggest moron on the face of the earth, he is just trying to make money for Haliburton. I could only pray that moron doesn't ever become president. If so they will have to reset the doomsday clock to 11:59 until his second day in presidency when it will be 12:00.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Wow, I had a feeling it was close. Had it happened all hell would have broken out on many fronts. Its good Bush cooled things, plus for him.

Interesting to read the simple language these guys speak to each other. Right from the playground

“You think you can trust the Americans, and they will rush to assist you?” Putin asked according to a Georgian record of the talk. “Nobody can be trusted! Except me.”

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
The problem is that the US was being less then honest, as were the Georgian government, and Fox news.

We were never gonna go after the great bear.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
The so called "Rose Revolution" was supposed to usher in a liberal western democracy in an ex Soviet Satellite state. Instead, a Harvard educated western puppet ( read Saakashvilli) was installed in power. This man was all set to set Caucasus on fire and had almost succeeded. We can still remember his live one-on-one status update meetings with Wolf Blitzer.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Georgia was all people have said it was. An aborted attempt to make the subjugated Soviet States rise again.

The US may have toyed with the notion of direct confrontation with the Russians. Israel was more than onside.

The Russians did lose in a way few noticed. They could barely drag their sorry asses to battle with their hardly functional tanks and aging soldiers. It was all baring teeth as Russia really isn't capable of confronting a real army any more.

The bluff worked but US intelligence noted the actual capabilities of the Russian military in action. They aren't as formidable as they want everyone to believe.

M

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I was on th e border of slovakia during thr georgian crisis. There where continual jets and planes heading to the border of russia at all times in the sky. We USA also must have some other craft from what i saw that woukld be more like UFO but i wold say secret us air defense. I was in germany before 9-11 and I wold have thought someone would have interviewd me or come forward to help but that is obviously not the case.. so anyo f you know if the head of navy seals and special warfare decide to murder you you have no cvhance. I dont want to be a conspiracy theorist bt I am being murdered by a gourp for there greed nothing else.. so right now russian is the New morsal compas in the world.

new topics

top topics

join